OctoPrint on Beagle Bone Black Rev C

Talk about the web based OctoPrint controllers
crocky
Printmaster!

OctoPrint on Beagle Bone Black Rev C

Post by crocky »

I have not started doing anything with it yet, the hardware is on the way though.

I think the plan will be to install the angstrom version and carry on from there. If you are familiar with BBB and would like to help, please chime in :)
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Re: OctoPrint on Beagle Bone Black Rev C

Post by JFettig »

I'm interested, will you be using RAMBO to control the printer still or a BBB add on board?
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

At this stage it will be the Rambo board.

I had it running with raspian on the pi and video was woeful.

I got the BBB today and I have successfully ssh'd to it and I am currently doing a bit of reading and deciding whether I install Angstrom or put the latest Debian because they now come with that now!
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
FullMetalBoxers
Plasticator

Post by FullMetalBoxers »

This is exactly how I have my Rostock Max set up, currently. It's not working perfectly - mainly shutdown/reboot commands not working through the GUI, OctoPrint daemon not running on boot like I want it to, etc., but every bit of that can be attributed to my extremely limited knowledge of Linux. Aside from those minor issues, the Rostock prints beautifully off its little BeagleBone host. The best part is, I can connect to the GUI from any web-enabled device in the house... or beyond, whenever I get around to securing it for outside connections. I love it!

I will be watching this thread, since my own lack of Linux-Fu is the only weak link in the setup right now.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

hopefully there is progress on the debian version of octoprint for the revC
FullMetalBoxers
Plasticator

Post by FullMetalBoxers »

I hope there's progress of any kind. The last time the Angstrom BeagleBone setup on the OctoPrint github was updated was 11 months ago.
crocky
Printmaster!

Post by crocky »

I have just put Repetier-Server on it and it is going well, still configuring at present and getting some more networking hardware.

It is only beta at the moment but looks pretty good so far.
Bob
Delta's are the way!
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I also have a bbb that has octoprint on it.

Have not installed it yet.

But i recently got a pcduino v3. It has builtin wifi which is a huge plus. And i have an intel edison arriving shortly.

Which of the softwares do you recommend?

Octoprint - astroprint - repetier host - other?

Note: my bbb was unable to connect to github when it was accessing internet over my computer. I had to connect it to ethernet and ssh to it that way.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

I've been running Octo on a Debian BBB rev C for a few months now after I kept running into random problems with my RasPi. Works fine, and it feels like it's an order of magnitude faster on file uploads (the RasPi USB is a bottleneck), calculating print times, etc.

You can use the angstrom-based instructions on the OctoPrint wiki with a few modifications - I didn't keep a step by step of everything I did, but here's the highlights. If you know a little Linux, this ain't rocket science, kids:

1. Don't add a separate 'octo' user - just use the default user 'debian'. I didn't feel like monkeying around with figuring out the right user security groups to be a part of.
2. Instead of "opkg", use "apt-get" to install packages. Try installing all of the things listed in their file - it will tell you what it can't find or already have installed. I think I only needed python-numpy, python-setuptools, python-pip, git looking at my command history.
3. To run octoprint on port 80, use haproxy - you'll have to add a backports repository to your apt source list to get it. You can use the haproxy config on the Octo wiki. You should do a little googling to find out how to reconfigure the default webstuff (bone101) that the BBB is running on port 80. I just moved it to port 9080 in case I still wan to use it.
4. Debian uses "systemd" instead of the old rc.d sysinit style scripts to automatically launch stuff on startup. Read up on that.

Return to “OctoPrint”