SeeMeCNC in Schools

A place for teachers to discuss general SeeMeEducate topics
jjjohnson
SeeMeCNC Staff

SeeMeCNC in Schools

Post by jjjohnson »

If you are a teacher / professor / student using 3D printers for educational purposes, what school are you from, what printer(s) are you using, and what are you printing?

What has been your biggest struggle getting 3D printing off the ground in your classes?
JJ
Navkram
Printmaster!

Re: SeeMeCNC in Schools

Post by Navkram »

welcome to the forum, I just want to say Thank you for getting this technology into Goshen High School I hope more schools follow what you have done. We need more stories like yours and your students that are using this technology.

awesome job.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

Hi!

We're using some of the curriculum from SeeMeEducate and some that we are developing for Blue Sky Academy. http://www.bsa.edu.vn/en/.

The first course is for 4th and 5th Graders who speak English. It will be taught in the fall.

We are looking for a partner school so that we can create a cross-cultural, international project. We don't quite know what that project is but know it will relate to something that gets 3D printed. It would be great if it was related to community service but it can be related to art or cultural understanding.

The students in the US can be older or the same age. We will be teaching them about how 3D printing is changing the world and go into various professions and how they use them now, various materials, etc. Along the way, they will receive about 20 hours of Sketchup training and get to print one of their projects. The class size is 12 - 15 students.

1. Any thoughts on a school who might be interested in partnering on a project?
2. Any great tutorials about Sketchup for kids?
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

I donated a Printrbot jr. V1 to the art department of our high school. It was amazingly hard to do :? Going through all the approval process takes a fair amount of time. So much so, that the jr. is out of date now and needs major upgrades. My hope now is to make it a functional first exposure to 3d printing. I did forward the teachers links to all the SeeMeEducate curriculum. With the school year ending, I'm going to try and work up a plan to up grade it and get the art staff up to speed. I think a lot of my road blocks are lack of knowledge and time in the staff. You need a teacher who is willing to put the effort in to institute(and get approval for) a new curriculum, and learn the software/hardware necessary. I do firmly believe this tech is a great way to get kids excited. Wish me luck ;)
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
swillner
Noob

Post by swillner »

JohnStack wrote:Hi!

We're using some of the curriculum from SeeMeEducate and some that we are developing for Blue Sky Academy. http://www.bsa.edu.vn/en/.

The first course is for 4th and 5th Graders who speak English. It will be taught in the fall.

We are looking for a partner school so that we can create a cross-cultural, international project. We don't quite know what that project is but know it will relate to something that gets 3D printed. It would be great if it was related to community service but it can be related to art or cultural understanding.

The students in the US can be older or the same age. We will be teaching them about how 3D printing is changing the world and go into various professions and how they use them now, various materials, etc. Along the way, they will receive about 20 hours of Sketchup training and get to print one of their projects. The class size is 12 - 15 students.

1. Any thoughts on a school who might be interested in partnering on a project?
2. Any great tutorials about Sketchup for kids?

John

I teach middle school "hands on technology" in Pleasant Hill, CA. I have several classes, each has 37 students. We have 2 3d printers as well as other technologies. I would be interested in having my students network with the students in Viet Nam. I don't know how to make everything work (but I have some ideas) and I think it would be a huge benefit to both groups of students. Contact me if you are interested.

Stephan Willner
Sequoia Middle School
265 Boyd Road
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523
[email protected]
richardphat
Prints-a-lot

Post by richardphat »

We are from Polytechnic School of Montreal. Our goal is to achieve rapid prototyping for much purposes. For instance, I will be using this rostock and ultimaker to print compressor component running at 7000 RPM.

On our department, we have other Afinia and H series 3d Printers to make non standard parts for students projects. Instead of machining something complex that consume time, there will be 3-4 printers available for the students.

We also have one big useless object from stratasys. We are barely running due to expansive cartridge and stupid maintenance.
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

Brent here. I'm teaching at 3D Print Day @ SBU. K12 students. Working on developing my own lesson plan for them for the day (early am-4pm with lunch break in between). Got a few great machines for the event as well (PB Simples, Metal Simple, Orion, RoMax, Cube) but the Orion is going to be my primary machine. I intend on uploading the day's activities online along with the lessons as open-source content for SeeMeEducate.

Return to “Teachers Lounge”