What im i doing wrong??

Post your prints with the GCode used to help other users achieve a similar result, or get help.
Orellana.arch
Plasticator

What im i doing wrong??

Post by Orellana.arch »

Hey whats going on guys

so im pretty new to 3d printing and i have a couple of files i want to print from Rhino 3d. but i have them saved in inches (im not sure if the machine only recognize mm). When ever i export as an STL and import it into Matter Controls the piece comes out realllyyyyy small. what am i doing wrong??? or should i save the stl file as mm idk. please help thank you
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: What im i doing wrong??

Post by teoman »

You can save itas mm,

Or you can scale it in mc. It is under edit.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I work in Rhino and just do everything in mm. Much easier that way.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Orellana.arch
Plasticator

Post by Orellana.arch »

mhackney wrote:I work in Rhino and just do everything in mm. Much easier that way.
so you think thats the problem? i need to convert my files into mm before i export it into a stl file?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Orellana.arch wrote:
mhackney wrote:I work in Rhino and just do everything in mm. Much easier that way.
so you think thats the problem? i need to convert my files into mm before i export it into a stl file?
Yes STL files don't have units, and the Slicers all assume everything is mm.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

KISSlicer has a menu item to convert from inches to mm. I use it on occasion when I forget to work in metric. All the slicers provide a scaling function so you could scale down by 1/25.4. The caveat is that I don't think (or I haven't found) the ability to specify the scale factor in Simplify3D, it seems to just allow you to drag to resize.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Have you tried double clicking the rendered model in s3d?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

mhackney wrote:KISSlicer has a menu item to convert from inches to mm. I use it on occasion when I forget to work in metric. All the slicers provide a scaling function so you could scale down by 1/25.4. The caveat is that I don't think (or I haven't found) the ability to specify the scale factor in Simplify3D, it seems to just allow you to drag to resize.
Double click on the presented image after importing the desired model. You will get a popup menu that allows you to manipulate the model as you desire.

gary
Orellana.arch
Plasticator

Post by Orellana.arch »

nitewatchman wrote:
mhackney wrote:KISSlicer has a menu item to convert from inches to mm. I use it on occasion when I forget to work in metric. All the slicers provide a scaling function so you could scale down by 1/25.4. The caveat is that I don't think (or I haven't found) the ability to specify the scale factor in Simplify3D, it seems to just allow you to drag to resize.
Double click on the presented image after importing the desired model. You will get a popup menu that allows you to manipulate the model as you desire.

gary

awesome man thanks alot thats exactly what i needed

Return to “GCode & Test Prints”