iPhone and V2 Print

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
3D-Print
Printmaster!

iPhone and V2 Print

Post by 3D-Print »

So I was about 40 percent through a 16 hour print. I was watching the printer, hanging out thinking this is awesome!!! Decided to plug my iPhone into my iMac to charge and sync. The instant I plugged my iPhone into my iMac, the printer stopped and "iMac lost connection" with my V2. Lots of ugly words......... \£{^~£~*"/@;&&;;&!

Has that happened to anyone.... Uggggg!
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: iPhone and V2 Print

Post by mhackney »

The #1 reason I gave up printing over USB. Happens with any platform and strikes at any time.

USB = ultra stupid bus

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Good to know. As soon as I make the change to duet I will move to a LAN.

Thanks.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Meanwhile you can print from the CF card.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Luck has been on my side for the past year plus. I had an older iMac and never touched it once I starting a print since any other iMac activity causes pauses and "blebs!" I recently bought a new iMac and have not had this problem (i.e. more memory), until today!!

Onward and upward.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

I have found that this free app has worked on every print for me so far but I have not tries to sync and charge something while printing
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffein ... 6225?mt=12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
it keeps everything awake to prevent pauses by things like sleep or screen saver operation
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Thanks. Will try this app.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

The whole 'print from sd' thing annoys me mightily. I don't have easy control over the machine or print job like I do from a decent host program and I've had problems with it dropping out mid print on SD.

USB itself isn't the issue, it's the host machine's handling of USB events.

I have learnt by now that, whenever my mac is printing, that's all it does. Just in case.

One day I'll update the prehistoric Mac Mini sitting in the cupboard so it can run MatterControl, then leave it as the dedicated printing host. Connect via VNC to drive, job done.
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

I am using OctoPrint on tiny Intel Edison. You could use Raspberry Pi instead, it's cheaper
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

I just had a 9 hour print job freeze 6 hours in when printing over usb using the Raspberry Pi2.

Put the same file on the SD card and it completed without issue.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

@Captain Starfish, I agree but there are also issues with static charge or transients on the USB when you plug a new device in that can disrupt the bus. This is the situation the OP described. I've had this happen on desktop and laptop systems as well as a RPi connected via USB.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I had an issue on my CNC router where, after a few hours, turning the spindle on would disappear the machine's USB connection from the computer. It was only when I belted myself plugging the USB cable back in after removing it that I twigged: The unshielded spindle motor was inductively coupling back into the chassis which was all floating independently from the (also floating) USB card and laptop. Which was also floating (double insulated). A wire screwed into the frame and jammed in an earth pin on the power board fixed it. I'll sort out cable shielding, spindle shielding and proper star point grounding at some point.

I've had big issues with floating grounds and both serial and USB before, where the ground loops make massive differentials at connect time. But I've never seen it happen from a handheld device. Perhaps I've just been lucky until now!
TheIrishScion
Printmaster!

Post by TheIrishScion »

I think the only reasonable and prudent solution is to resurrect BeOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

BeOS is the only Operating system I once intentionally bought.
All Others I tried where "given" with hardware, downloaded freeley or <ahem> hacked some way <ahem> :mrgreen:
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

TheIrishScion wrote:I think the only reasonable and prudent solution is to resurrect BeOS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeOS
Heh, I used to run Be on a compaq iPaq! At least for a little while, not real useful. Currently have octoprint running on a debian installed laptop. Can slice with whatever on my desktop and upload the gcode to it. Also gives me remote access to it for longish prints when I'm not home.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”