Alloy 910 got kind of loopy

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Aflac
Printmaster!

Alloy 910 got kind of loopy

Post by Aflac »

So I tried out some taulman alloy 910.... And it loss like this. Any one have any ideas what would cause that?
Attachments
IMG_20150620_090512.jpg
jmpreuss
Printmaster!

Re: Alloy 910 got kind of loopy

Post by jmpreuss »

Aflac wrote:So I tried out some taulman alloy 910.... And it loss like this. Any one have any ideas what would cause that?
I haven't tried that filament yet but in general it looks like either you are overextruding, need to do more retraction, or are printing too hot (or some combination of the three). A picture from the side would be helpful to confirm/deny the overextruding.
PTMNBN="Printer that must not be named" - a heavily upgraded Replicator 2
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

I've noticed that after I hit stop on it it keeps extruding for several seconds after the motor stops.....and is not like oozing out it's more like full extrusion....but just of pressure built up....and I have no idea how to stop that
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Not really sure what I'm looking at but are those big overhangs?
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

I have been printing with 910 now for over a month and have had great results on my projects with it. What temp are you printing it at?
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

travelphotog wrote:I have been printing with 910 now for over a month and have had great results on my projects with it. What temp are you printing it at?

i was printing it at 248
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I still can't figure out what is going on in that picture - do you have any others from different angles?

I didn't bother printing at the specified temp, the ezstruder couldn't really grip and it took a ton of force to get filament to push through, I ended up at 260C to print 40mm/s and it prints quite nice. I used a 6mm retraction, if I let the hot end sit idle, it would ooze out pretty bad like you say. It always oozed at the beginning and end of the print when its not actually printing but I never ended up with globs, only strings.
travelphotog
Printmaster!

Post by travelphotog »

Aflac wrote:
travelphotog wrote:I have been printing with 910 now for over a month and have had great results on my projects with it. What temp are you printing it at?

i was printing it at 248

I would move up to 260 if your hotend can take it. I had not used it since the move soi= I forgot and started at 245 like you... It failed right away. Thought maybe it was wet from being left out... But also recalled printing at 260 i thought so ran a fast test and it worked right away, nothing else changed. Went and printed the main print I wanted before at the "new" 260 temp and it cleared up my issues right away and did great. In a few hours I had another perfect 910 print. It just seems to not like being printed below 260 for me at least.
http://713maker.com/ Custom aluminum and carbon fiber hot end mounts for the Rostock Max and Orion.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”