Top layer problem

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
subsoniq
Printmaster!

Top layer problem

Post by subsoniq »

Hi, i have a Rostock max V2 and i am using Repetier V1.03.

I have started using Cura engine with default printer settings and 10 % infill, and around 55mm/s speed setting. ¨
2mm layer height.
adhesion type: none
supporttype: none
PLA

All my top layers now seem to go a bit like this with holes in top and plastic not smoothing out.

Is this a infill problem?
Attachments
image1.JPG
Khalid Khattak
Printmaster!

Re: Top layer problem

Post by Khalid Khattak »

increase top layers..
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

It looks to me like an infill problem. Like many other types of issues, you need to watch the print to understand what's going on.

On most slicers, each layer should build up from the previous one, so if you're going from 10% to 100%, there should be a 10% layer, followed by 20%, 25%, 33% 50%, then the top layers.

It looks like it's not able to build enough of of a foundation from the previous infill layers to support your top surface.

if you're printing with 0.2mm layers, make sure your top/bottom layers are at least 3 layers deep.

Also check your infill speeds, and maybe your print temps.

Here's how I'd approach the part.
- It's a small part, so if I were printing it, I'd do 3 perimeters, surfaces at 0.6mm, 25% infill minimum unless there's some weight concern you have with the part.
- I'd also be printing at 20mm/s perimeter, then maybe 40mm/s tops for infill, loops and solid.
ramai
Printmaster!

Post by ramai »

an alternative idea to the intelligent suggestions here, you might also try increasing the extrusion multiplier or decreasing the filament thickness from 1.75 to say 1.7
Rostock MAX V2 with trick trucks, cf arms, prometheus hot end, nimble extruder, berdAir cooling.
Cura slicer, Duet Wifi, iMac
Sonrisa3D
Printmaster!

Post by Sonrisa3D »

More top layers or a more dense infill should solve this - don't be shy to do both!
subsoniq
Printmaster!

Post by subsoniq »

Thank you for the replies. Looks like this was the case. Worked better with more infill and more top layers :)

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”