Irregular ABS Filament

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Irregular ABS Filament

Post by 3D-Print »

Two sequential print failed for me with my new role of ABS filament from SeeMeCNC where I was sure I plugged the HotEnd. This happened after about 3 hours of a print and again after about an hour of the next print. This AM I was sure I had pluged the tip, but when I came home tonight, I could not get the filament out of the Bowden tube. Even though the tip was hot, I had to take the quick connect fitting off the extruder stepper and use a pair of pliers to remove the filament.

Didn't think much of it, cut off the filament and and tried to load up more filament. After advancing the filament half way down the Bowden tube it bound up. When I removed the filament I felt some irregularities and indeed the irregularities (see photo) is where it was binding.

The image shows pieces cut from the filament I removed plus the part I could not advance. In total that was about 3 feet of filament with all of those Blebs in the filament. I'm trying again with the hope it was a manufacturing joint.

I hope this amount of irregularities highly unusual.
Attachments
image.jpg
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Re: Irregular ABS Filament

Post by 3D-Print »

Happened yet again. Changed out my spool.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

That is a bad roll of filament.

I sùppose it is better than discovering that your spool contains several pieces of filament (not from seemecnc).

Obviously something went wrong during manufacture. Contact seemecnc.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
DanHall
Printmaster!

Post by DanHall »

Wow, that aint good... I've found irregularities in filament but never any like that in that quantity. Our source is good about replacing bad spools (infrequent as they are) and I would think Seemecnc will help you out.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

DanHall wrote:Wow, that aint good... I've found irregularities in filament but never any like that in that quantity. Our source is good about replacing bad spools (infrequent as they are) and I would think Seemecnc will help you out.
This is my sixth, 2 pound spool of filament from SeeMeCNC. I've not had any trouble with prior spools! I expect as you said, there will be no questions about replacement. After changing the spool last night to another SeeMeCNC spool all is working well. :D

Off to work!! :?
DanHall
Printmaster!

Post by DanHall »

Good to hear!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Resolved: Irregular ABS Filament

Post by 3D-Print »

SeeMeCNC support is awesome as always. New role is on the way soon!!

Thanks.

Dan

I am sorry to hear that the filament had some issues. I can clearly see from the photos that there is indeed an issue. Thanks for the photos by the way!

I will have our shipping department email you a return label today so that you can send that spool back to us. Once we receive the black ABS back I can ship out a new spool to you.

JJ
SeeMeCNC
DavidF
Printmaster!

Post by DavidF »

Interesting....I got a spool of black pla from them that had the same issues in one part of the spool. Seems odd seeing the same thing except for the fact its abs???
http://www.youtube.com/user/aonemarine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lost pla castings? see me
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Some one must have been having a bad day at the factory.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

It's a pretty common fault with cheap filament, mostly it's just air pockets, occasionally those little bumps can contain foreign bodies which is really bad news especially if they are small enough to enter the hotend and big enough not to get through it.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”