Vertical warping

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
yarudl
Noob

Vertical warping

Post by yarudl »

I've recently been having an issue with warping in the z-axis and awful quality but only on ONE SIDE of the print (the side farthest from the front opening of the printer)

pics of the print here

This has been happening on multiple prints multiple times. both round and square objects are subject to this crap. How do I fix it? I've tightened all of my belts, recalibrated many times, played with the flow rate and speed.

I'm using a Rostock MAX V2, stock except for the enclosure I made. Filament is Hatchbox ABS. Bed is 90C and hot end is 235C.
bot
Printmaster!

Re: Vertical warping

Post by bot »

Is your hot end at all insulated? I had problems with one part of the hot end warming up the print more than normal and having similar affects, on flat surfaces too. The solution was to insulate the hot end with a lot of kapton.
*not actually a robot
yarudl
Noob

Post by yarudl »

I don't think that's it since this only happens on one side of the printer....
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Just for giggles, rotate the model 90 degrees on the build platform and see if the ugly spot stays or rotates with the model.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
draw-tech
Printmaster!

Post by draw-tech »

Hi all
I also had problems with warping, what I call a sag. I believe the problem is the fan only cools the side closest to you, leaving the opposite side hot, !!! SAG. I have designed a radial cooling housing for the MAX 2, look on the gcode page for the files, Hope this helps

Draw-Tech
Attachments
Radial_Layer_Cooling_Housing.jpg
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

are you running a part cooling fan on abs? abs does not usually need part cooling from what I have read. I do not print with a cooling fan on only the peek fan when printing ABS.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Nylocke »

It's generally not a good idea, cooling ABS generally results in reduced part strength. On really small features it *can* be useful, but it's generally a better idea to add more of the same part or add something to slow layers down.
CRPerryJr
Printmaster!

Post by CRPerryJr »

I'd love to utilize your design, but would it be possible to have the fan holder portion straight up and down, instead of on a slant? The reason I ask is that I have an enclosure, and the current layer fan shroud can bump into it, if printing something rather larger in diameter. I've been trying to develop something similar, but my CAD skills are nil. (Tinkercad is challenging for me.)
SeeMeCNC Rostock Max V2
Makerbot Replicator Gen 5
drfuyutsuki
Plasticator

Post by drfuyutsuki »

draw-tech wrote:Hi all
I also had problems with warping, what I call a sag. I believe the problem is the fan only cools the side closest to you, leaving the opposite side hot, !!! SAG. I have designed a radial cooling housing for the MAX 2, look on the gcode page for the files, Hope this helps

Draw-Tech
Did you have to run longer screws for this?

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”