Listen to instructions (magnetic arms)

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Listen to instructions (magnetic arms)

Post by Tinyhead »

xnaron wrote:The stock seemecnc hot end will work in this but don't use the standoffs. You want to keep the hotend away from the printed effector.
It was in Xnaron's first post. Did I see it? Sure I did. Did I listen. No I did not. There isn't that much heat radiating off the hot end to melt the effector plate, I thought to myself. I ended up popping two of my balls off my effector plate (the second within a half hour of replacing the first) and chalked it up to not curing the screw/ball assemblies in an oven as suggested.. Maybe my basement was too cold. Whatever.

So I was printing the part blower http://repables.com/r/212/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (because my last/first one was made out of PLA and was sagging pretty bad. New one is ABS) and as it's printing I'm thinking 'Huh... I don't remember it looking quite like that...'
Hrmmm....  maybe the part was angled from the beginning?
Hrmmm.... maybe the part was angled from the beginning?
That's when the ball broke and I stopped the print (for the second time). So then the printer sat dead. I got a new ball/screw the next day and removed the effector to install the new one when I saw it. The heat from the hot end might not be enough to MELT the effector... but it IS enough to make it nice and soft.
One side slumping over.
One side slumping over.
Screws just sagged into the plate, it's warped...  what a mess.
Screws just sagged into the plate, it's warped... what a mess.
It was really hard to take pictures of, but the effector is bent and warped all to hell. No wonder the balls broke. They were getting pretty hot themselves, and with the added pressure of a bent effector, they ended up letting go. I now have my hot end mounted well below the effector and it's nice and cool. I'm just sure glad I had made a second effector for another hot end before all this happened or I would have had to put the stock arms back in to print a new one. It would not have been fun. And now that it's working properly, the first thing I'm making is another effector (currently printing).
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Listen to instructions (magnetic arms)

Post by Eaglezsoar »

I hope you aren't using PLA again! :D
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
joecnc2006
Printmaster!

Post by joecnc2006 »

I got the same slant when I printed, come to find out one of the Screw/ball had come unscrewed and was sticking out further than others and caused the slant in the prints.
Joe
http://www.joescnc.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Eaglezsoar wrote:I hope you aren't using PLA again! :D
:oops: Maybe... I can't get ABS to print reliably enough to get something as large as the effector to print without warping.
joecnc2006 wrote:I got the same slant when I printed, come to find out one of the Screw/ball had come unscrewed and was sticking out further than others and caused the slant in the prints.
I modified the cheapskate mounts to incorporate a 4-40 nut like the effector. Shouldn't have that problem. :D
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Tinyhead wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:I hope you aren't using PLA again! :D
:oops: Maybe... I can't get ABS to print reliably enough to get something as large as the effector to print without warping.
joecnc2006 wrote:I got the same slant when I printed, come to find out one of the Screw/ball had come unscrewed and was sticking out further than others and caused the slant in the prints.
I modified the cheapskate mounts to incorporate a 4-40 nut like the effector. Shouldn't have that problem. :D
If you use a coating of the AquaNet Extra Super Hold to your glass then heat it to 90c it should not warp when printing with ABS.
If your local stores do not carry it you can get it from Amazon.com
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Eaglezsoar wrote:If your local stores do not carry it you can get it from Amazon.com
I would, but I don't own a credit card. My wife's got one, but I'm not allowed to use it much. When I do get my hands on it, I tend to order ridiculous things like 3D Printers.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”