Stopping 40 hour print mid print to clear nozzle?

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
cratica
Plasticator

Stopping 40 hour print mid print to clear nozzle?

Post by cratica »

I had great success with my MAX v2 for the first several weeks. Now am having nothing but trouble getting prints to finish without the nozzle clogging up. Currently I am using PLA at 190 degrees, everything else is 100% factory settings downloaded from the site. The pla roll I'm using is one that I purchased from SeemeCNC so it should be quality stuff. Prior to starting this print I took the old nozzle off and thoroughly cleaned inside the hot end and placed a brand new nozzle on. The large box sized print printed flawlessly and beautifully for the first 12-14 hours or so but sometime in the middle of the night the print started looking choppy/rough and I heard a pop pop coming from the printer when I went to check on it. The nozzle is partially clogged yet again.

It is running standalone right now (not connected to a computer). My question is... is there a way to pause the machine, send it to home so I can clean the darn nozzle, then resume the print so I don't lose all this time and plastic?

Thank you,

Very frustrated in Austin
BONE
Printmaster!

Re: Stopping 40 hour print mid print to clear nozzle?

Post by BONE »

I've had this happen printing PLA also on long prints. The print starts to look foamy and it crunchy when squeezed. Seems to be not as bad with the E3D v6, but it still happens. I think it also depends on ho many retracts per layer there are. If you can let the filament run out continuously for long period of times, that seems to help.

This is something I've been looking to bring up, thanks for doing so.
The BONE ZONE build thread.
dtgriscom
Printmaster!

Post by dtgriscom »

I wonder if you could periodically add some G-code that would move the head all the way to the side and extrude for a while, hopefully clearing any developing blockage. It's pretty easy to do this for every layer, but that might not be necessary (and would end up with this humongous pile of plastic). Every 20th layer?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Yes there is a way.

MatterControl and i am sure repetier has a place that you can enter what to do when it pauses and when it unpauses.

Check out the threads, i recently had a look at the available Gcodes and we wrote what it should do when paused. Please also read the comments.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “FAIL HAPPENS ! ! !”