Pyramid Calibration Print

A place to post your fails. We know you got 'em, now share what you think caused 'em
TyeGrady
Plasticator

Pyramid Calibration Print

Post by TyeGrady »

Hello,

I just recently received and got my Rostock Max V2 up and running. It took me about 4 days to get it assembled and up and running. Now I'm in the calibration and testing phase. I've managed to print some nice looking spiral vases using the spiral vase setting in Slic3r and the default PLA settings but I'm struggling trying to get a good print of the hollow calibration pyramid. I've printed out quite a few of these, the latest is #9. (I had so many piling up I had to number them to keep track there are so many!)

I've been trying to clean the print up more and I havn't had much luck so far. I was only able to get this nice of a print out of PLA by slowing down all the speeds to 15 mm/s. I'm hoping that someone can point me in a better direction or maybe point out a mechanical problem I might have. I would be very appreciative of any help or pointers for what I should do to get a higher print quality.
Attachments
2014-07-23_11-13-51_476[1].jpg
2014-07-23_11-14-25_682[1].jpg
guanu
SeeMeCNC Staff

Re: Pyramid Calibration Print

Post by guanu »

are you using the layer fan? also try different slicers, they all will have different results for different types of prints.... but you definately need a layer fan for PLA

Guanu
TyeGrady
Plasticator

Post by TyeGrady »

Yeah I have the stock layer fan. I was thinking of trying to attach another 2 layer fans similar to the stock one or using one of the redesigned layer fans people have made on here for the Rostock MAX. I'll try using Skeinforge for the next calibration pyramid and seeing how it turns out.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Do you have any Z lift? I had trouble with the head tapping on each column a little when rapidly moving between them which screwed up the layer alignment until I added a z-lift.
TyeGrady
Plasticator

Post by TyeGrady »

Here are my retraction and Z-lift settings:

Length: 5.4mm
Lift Z: 0.2 mm
Speed: 100 mm/s
Extra length on restart: 0.1 mm
Minimum travel after retraction: 2 mm
Retract on layer change: true
wipe while retracting: false