Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Such as Laser cutters (Must use the phrase 'sharks with frickin lazors' once per thread)
forrie
Printmaster!

Re: Trick Laser MAX METAL Build

Post by forrie »

Plasma - post pics dude!!

Brian - that looks suspiciously like the makings of a hotend platform?
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
Renha
Printmaster!

Post by Renha »

Wow Brian, it looks amazing! Please tell us what is it exactly!
Looks like there are J-head hotends mount at the center, but i can't see mounts effector platform should have, so I don't know :?
3D printing is magic!

Sorry my engrish :-/ you could PM me in Russian.
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

bvandiepenbos wrote:Here is a little peek at something else I have been working on.
I laser cut the design mockup from wood over a year ago... just could not stand it any longer, had to make some aluminum chips this weekend just for fun. Now to find the time to test it out on my MAX.
Wow! I assume you are working on the mates for the Trick Trucks as well? I'm in for a set when ready!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

plasma wrote:Well, it took me about 2 weeks but finally I have one hell of a printer. I can't say thank you enough to the people that helped me get this delta all set up. People like Brian from Trick Laser. Who always strives for perfection through simplicity in the products he creates, whether as upgrades to existing printers or as new inventions. Brian for the frame and all your upgrades, thanks.

ccavanaugh Thank you very much for all your hard work for the designs you posted for the Max Metal. I know how much time and effort it took to get everything in sync. By sharing them and keeping it open source you have helped people like me, with little CAD knowledge to build this project. I was able to use most of the files you created and posted. So thank you.

The build was a lot of fun, much more fun then my first one. Maybe its because I didn't feel like a total noob unlike the first time around. The printer runs much more quieter then the donor Max v2 and the printed results are out of this world for me in comparison.

So once again Thanks and Happy printing.
Thanks Plasma! Any suggestion for improvement? What controller board are you using? I'm hoping to find some time this next week to get my smoothie up and running.
plasma
Printmaster!

Post by plasma »

ccavanaugh wrote: Thanks Plasma! Any suggestion for improvement? What controller board are you using? I'm hoping to find some time this next week to get my smoothie up and running.

I'am using Rambo board 1.3l as a controller. Don't have the smoothie board to play with yet. For version of Max2 I had to make my own end-stop switch holders because the end stop screw are in a different position. Also trying to design the spool holder so that the weight is distributed between at least two horizontal tracks. I think that using one adds to much torque weight on just one track. But it could be just my paranoia. Everything else was a perfect fit for me.

I wanted to post some pictures, but for some reason I cant get it to post. Will try again in a little while.
Thinker
Plasticator

Post by Thinker »

bvandiepenbos wrote:Here is a little peek at something else I have been working on.
I laser cut the design mockup from wood over a year ago... just could not stand it any longer, had to make some aluminum chips this weekend just for fun. Now to find the time to test it out on my MAX.
Very nice! Now I'm regretting purchasing new plastic platform for my build... Oh well. Count me in if you start selling them!
Rostock V1
Soon to be Max Metal Frame Enhanced.... :D
mvansomeren
Printmaster!

Post by mvansomeren »

forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

That is one sexy printer...
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Renha wrote:Wow Brian, it looks amazing! Please tell us what is it exactly!
Looks like there are J-head hotends mount at the center, but i can't see mounts effector platform should have, so I don't know :?
more details...
IMG_20150506_122646.jpg
IMG_20150506_122623.jpg
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

wow, when is that going up for sale?
Thinker
Plasticator

Post by Thinker »

Brian - that is impressive! The perfect compliment to the Metal Max frame or any printer rocking your carbon fiber arms...
Rostock V1
Soon to be Max Metal Frame Enhanced.... :D
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

KAS wrote:wow, when is that going up for sale?
Not sure when. Need to test it out first. And I need to meet with my local waterjet guy to discuss best manufacturing strategy.... Probably have him cut out basic shape in batches of 50, then I will do final precision machining, tapping, finishing, etc.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

@Brian:

Any idea when the actual batch of the metal frame is ready for delivery? Maybe it´s on the way already, but havnt got any email.
Smoothieboard is bored silly and waiting for action..... ;-)

cheers
Dirk
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Update:

Smoothie board specific side brackets have been updated on Github. These make SD card access easier and removes unnecessary openings.

With a bit of luck, I should be up and running with the Smoothie board today sans LCD display.
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

My Max Metal frame arrived in Germany. Looks fantastic. Thank you very much Brian!! Really nice work.

As far as I´m home again I will start to build it step by step.
First I designed my Trucks. Planned to be made of Carbon Fiber, hope they will be under 70grams completly with Steelballs for the magnetic arms.
But we will see. Have to do some other stuff first, but fun begins as far as I find some minutes to work on the cnc router.

Here´s a first draft. Any feedback welcome...
3.JPG
2.JPG
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

critical_limit would it be possible for you to post the stl files for the effector and hot end holder that you created?
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

Eaglezsoar wrote:critical_limit would it be possible for you to post the stl files for the effector and hot end holder that you created?
Hi eagle,

of course you can have the stl´s. As soon it´s build and tested I will post it here or in a seperate thread.

cheers
Dirk
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

I've been toying with building a delta printer a lot recently, and I really like this metal frame and it's what I've been thinking about using. However I had a ton of questions about it...At least until I found this thread, it had answered most of them. But still have a few left.

When mounting the motors do you use the trick laser motor insulators?

Do you use any of the wood parts from the kit?

What is the big black circle in the pictures in the first post?

Is there an easy way to put a roof on it so you could make a good enclosure for the whole thing?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck was Chuck Norris?
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

critical_limit wrote:My Max Metal frame arrived in Germany. Looks fantastic. Thank you very much Brian!! Really nice work.

First I designed my Trucks. Planned to be made of Carbon Fiber, hope they will be under 70grams completly with Steelballs for the magnetic arms.
But we will see. Have to do some other stuff first, but fun begins as far as I find some minutes to work on the cnc router.

3.JPG
2.JPG
The ball mounting point on carriage needs to be angled, the way it is the cup might contact mount point and limit travel when arm is nearly horizontal. maybe?

Effector platform stand offs need rotated 60 degrees else arms may hit.

Cool looking design, I assume you are planning on CNC milling from carbon fiber sheet?

Thank you, good to hear frame arrived safely.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
GRABER i3 "Slim"
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Aflac wrote:I've been toying with building a delta printer a lot recently, and I really like this metal frame and it's what I've been thinking about using. However I had a ton of questions about it...At least until I found this thread, it had answered most of them. But still have a few left.

When mounting the motors do you use the trick laser motor insulators?

Do you use any of the wood parts from the kit?

What is the big black circle in the pictures in the first post?

Is there an easy way to put a roof on it so you could make a good enclosure for the whole thing?

How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck was Chuck Norris?
No insulators need or recommended. It's quite without them and the direct metal to metal contact helps sink a significant amount of heat away from the motors. I'm running my smoothies at 1.2 amps and they are just slightly warn.

The big black circle is the stock heated bed.

I did not reuse any of the wood parts except the snow flake. That said, you may be able to use the top wood plate and slip the extrusions through if you clearance them. I would not want the wood to bias the alignment of the aluminum frame any. The aluminum is tee-slotted, so it would be easy to design up extra brackets to mount an enclosure to it. It's a project I am planning to work on this fall for winter time printing without heating the garage.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

ccavanaugh wrote:
No insulators need or recommended. It's quite without them and the direct metal to metal contact helps sink a significant amount of heat away from the motors. I'm running my smoothies at 1.2 amps and they are just slightly warn.

The big black circle is the stock heated bed.

I did not reuse any of the wood parts except the snow flake. That said, you may be able to use the top wood plate and slip the extrusions through if you clearance them. I would not want the wood to bias the alignment of the aluminum frame any. The aluminum is tee-slotted, so it would be easy to design up extra brackets to mount an enclosure to it. It's a project I am planning to work on this fall for winter time printing without heating the garage.
I've been looking at this thread http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (if i linked it properly, its my first time trying to link to another thread so who knows). it seems to be a pretty good way to do an enclosure for one of these and could probably be adapted for this pretty easily...the only thing it does not have is a top and bottom because the standard kit has that, so we would need a way to do that. I would not want to buy a whole set of the wood parts just for the top and bottom since I am not using the kit for my build.
bot
Printmaster!

Post by bot »

Mr. Cavanaugh,

Would you be able to share the CAD assembly of the max metal frame? Or is that protected? I'd love to be able to mock up some designs of my own onto the assembly.

Cheers.
*not actually a robot
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

bvandiepenbos wrote:
critical_limit wrote:My Max Metal frame arrived in Germany. Looks fantastic. Thank you very much Brian!! Really nice work.

3.JPG
2.JPG
The ball mounting point on carriage needs to be angled, the way it is the cup might contact mount point and limit travel when arm is nearly horizontal. maybe?

Effector platform stand offs need rotated 60 degrees else arms may hit.

Cool looking design, I assume you are planning on CNC milling from carbon fiber sheet?

Thank you, good to hear frame arrived safely.
Hi Brian,

Ball mounting point doesnt need to be angled. I already checked that. I made the Carbon arms little bit longer to reach the edge of the 300mm building plate without going horizontal. Its working on my Rostock Max, so it will work on the Max Metall as well. But you are right for the standoffs. they maybe hit the arms. I will check it, but seems that they will hit. So I will rotate them. Thanks for that Brian!

Yepp, milling it from carbon fiber sheets. But not shure if it is working for the effector platform due to the heat from the hotend and bedheater. Looking at the specs the carbon fibre sheets are designed to withstand 180°C max. So maybe it will be a Problem for the effector. Trucks will be fine I hope.

Cheers
Dirk
critical_limit
Printmaster!

Post by critical_limit »

bot wrote:Mr. Cavanaugh,

Would you be able to share the CAD assembly of the max metal frame? Or is that protected? I'd love to be able to mock up some designs of my own onto the assembly.

Cheers.
That would be great to have the CAD Files for the frame. Any chance to get it? Solidworks would be fantastic, but all other would be fine too.

cheers

Return to “Other Machines”