Deciding on a printer

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
Kunguru
Plasticator

Deciding on a printer

Post by Kunguru »

So I'm going back and forth on which printer to buy. This will be my first 3d printer, so I'm a bit nervous and want to make the right decision.

I like the Orion Delta, because of the build volume, price, availability, it's a delta and looks cool, and modification(if I decide to go that route)

However, I also like the Cel Robox, because of the build enclosure, and layer resolution 20 microns. It also seems pretty moron friendly. The build volume is sad though, 8.3 x 5.9 x 3.9”.

Out of the box can the Orion print Nylon and other filaments like wood? Or does that require a hot end upgrade? Is a enclosure really necessary? I hear it helps a lot for large ABS builds and to reduce loud noise(this will be up in my apartment loft, and I don't want to disturb the wife ;) )

I would love to hear from anyone whose first 3d experience was with Orion.
Vic
Printmaster!

Re: Deciding on a printer

Post by Vic »

I bought the Orion as my first 3D printer a few months ago. I can tell you that it is very reliable and accurate. I have had almost no problems with it. The customer service is excellent. I would advise you to read through the forum. I would strongly recommend this printer as I have to many people already. You won't be disappointed.
Good luck
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Kunguru wrote:So I'm going back and forth on which printer to buy. This will be my first 3d printer, so I'm a bit nervous and want to make the right decision.

I like the Orion Delta, because of the build volume, price, availability, it's a delta and looks cool, and modification(if I decide to go that route)

However, I also like the Cel Robox, because of the build enclosure, and layer resolution 20 microns. It also seems pretty moron friendly. The build volume is sad though, 8.3 x 5.9 x 3.9”.

Out of the box can the Orion print Nylon and other filaments like wood? Or does that require a hot end upgrade? Is a enclosure really necessary? I hear it helps a lot for large ABS builds and to reduce loud noise(this will be up in my apartment loft, and I don't want to disturb the wife ;) )

I would love to hear from anyone whose first 3d experience was with Orion.
I am an owner of the Orion and I will attempt to answer some of your questions. Out of the box the Orion will not print nylon because nylon requires temperatures that could melt the Peek part of the hotend which will begin to be
damaged at temperatures above 240C. Virtually all new printers run hotends that have the Peek plastic. In order to do nylon and some of the more exotic filaments you would need to replace the stock hotend with an all metal hotend
like the E3DV6 and there are others. I personally do not use an enclosure and have not found it necessary, but that is something to be decided by each user. I highly recommend the Orion and after receiving it and putting it through
it's paces then you can decide if upgrades are needed and if so, which ones.
Happy Printing!
Fester
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fester »

I also bought a Orion as first printer .I myself am very tech savvy in the old and new ways (tool and die work,computers) . I wanted a machine that work right out of the box for my first one.I wanted to understand how it was supposed to work correctly . Learning printing , with any machine is an obstacle in itself until you can read the plastic, this takes a few rolls . ABS is a good material to start with . This is a very solid printer. Love the speed and accuracy spot on. I recommend this printer all the time In the forms. Support is Awesome to say the least .
I will build my next printer the Rostock V2 is on my wish list . Now I have to order more plastic ;) again lol

Return to “ORION”