AutoCAD stl files...

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
Norm77
Printmaster!

AutoCAD stl files...

Post by Norm77 »

I'm using Solid Modeling in AutoCAD to create a sphere on a base. I was
wondering if anyone has tried this and been successful printing this out.
I've done it once and had no problems. Every time I try it now the print stops
short of finishing the top of the sphere. I examined the G-code and sure
enough the code just stops adding the lines needed to finish the project.

Thanks,

Norm77...
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: AutoCAD stl files...

Post by Captain Starfish »

I've never had the need to print a sphere on a base, but haven't otherwise had any STL model files go nuts on me.

Two things to try. First, coz it's easy: facetres 10. Improves the resolution of curves and surfaces if you haven't already done it.
Second: Try to isolate whether it's the STL file being exported that's stuffed, or the slicer software is getting confused. So run the stl file, not into a slicer, but into something else that will import STL. Blender3d springs to mind although there are a bazillion others.
brbubba
Printmaster!

Post by brbubba »

3D in AutoCAD??? First thing I might say is get yourself a free student copy of Inventor.

Also have you tried to slice it with another program, what are you using now? I actually use Cura 90% of the time because it's super quick. For tricky stuff I might fire up repetier host w/ slic3r.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Bah.

Spent way too long trying but inventor broke my brain. Just couldn't get my head around it.

OP - if you're still out there, how did you get on with this? One other thing to try is load the model in Repetier and walk your way through the layers in the gcode screen: does the gcode go all the way to the top? If not, slicer is an issue. If it does, you might be falling victim to the dodgy SeeMe supplied SD card issue or the good old "usb drops out at 90% of the print, just as you think you're going to get there safely" problem.

Return to “ORION”