ORION Heated Bed

A pre-assembled Delta Printer that can print a 6" cube 8" tall!
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

ORION Heated Bed

Post by PartDaddy »

The ORION Heated Bed :geek:
by PartDaddy and John Oly
Orion Heated Bed
Orion Heated Bed
Some Specifications:
> Designed for 12VDC to draw about 10A
> 220mm Outside Diameter; The bolt hole circle (B.H.C.) is 210mm diameter having six equally spaced holes that are 3.05mm diameter
> The heated printable area is designed to be 178mm diameter (7 inches)
> A side note is that the borosilicate glass is 220mm diameter too
> The board is 3/32" thick FR4 material with 1oz copper pour. The trace is about 2.8mm wide x 7500mm long, shooting for about 1.25 ohm resistance. Experience tells me it will come back a little low, but we'll see.
> The special feature for this heated bed is the variable pitch trace. The trace pitch (space between consecutive spirals) changes by 20% from inside to outside. The goal is to minimize temperature differential between the outside edge and center of the board.
> The thermistor is RTV glued into the center (like the ONYX), but the through hole is not plated and is not connect to any power. This will eliminated short circuits.
> A 3mm diameter LED indicator near the front of the board, closer to the operator, with a place drilled into the board for the LED to poke through from the bottom
> All electrical connections are from the bottom. The thermistor and power wires lay flat (or parallel) to the bottom of the board when soldering. Connections are not poked into tiny hole (those are vias that connect the top of the board to the bottom of the board)

Circuit Board Source:
SeeMeCNC ORION HB Rev1.zip
ORION HB Rev1 Source
(77.43 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
*An excellent program for viewing these files is gerbv. If you don't know anything about circuit board design, start by looking at my source files using "gerbv". You don't design circuit boards in gerbv, you view the results BEFORE you send your files off to a board-house and waste a bunch of money. Gerbv allows you to make sure all the traces, masks, silk screen, drilling holes, etc. are exported FROM your circuit board layout software. Just google it, download load it, and import some of my files if you're interested.

I presently use Diptrace to layout my circuit boards. Eagle and many other layout software are out there too, including open source choices.

The ORION HB is expected to be for sale 8/29/2013!
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: ORION Heated Bed

Post by Nylocke »

I hope it will be small enough for my Rostock mini, I would love to print with some ABS on it when I finally have to give back the H-1.1 I've been working on....
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

PartDaddy wrote: > The special feature for this heated bed is the variable pitch trace. The trace pitch (space between consecutive spirals) changes by 20% from inside to outside. The goal is to minimize temperature differential between the outside edge and center of the board.
Redesigning the full size one any time soon? I hope so! Otherwise I'll have to buy one from Glenn :)
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

with the warping issues of the rostock max pcb heater.. i would think that you guys might try another heated bed medium like the kapton heater vs pcb.

Just my 2cents. may not even matter being the Orion is smaller???
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

The differential trace idea is interesting.

Return to “ORION”