r3d2

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
tcat007
Printmaster!

r3d2

Post by tcat007 »

Last edited by tcat007 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: r3d2

Post by Xenocrates »

Your dropbox photos appear to be set to private. I had to go looking at the HTML to figure out why they weren't showing up. May I suggest Imgur as a photo host for the future? Not had any issues with them in the past.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Thanks, I moved them to public, hopefully will show now.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

nope
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Sharing photos from dropbox doesn't work well ever.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

OK, I moved them to G Drive, and "think" I figured out how to post (at least I see them). I finished this baby this morning, and if you can see the last image in the OP, these are my leftover parts. Are any of these necessary? No Smoke! Didn't know you had to be an electrician to build this!

At the end it says plug the USB cable in, but the acrylic won't go on then. I cut a notch for the cable. Also a finished "r3d2" photo (hope these show up!

Question: I am going to put this in a heated enclosure. The Base (bottom 6") won't be heated. I would think the PS fan blowing out would want it's source air from the bottom (not from the heated enclosure). Is it OK to plug the vents on the top surface of the Base?

[img]https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4v1c ... ThjWlg2OHM[/img]

[img]https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4v1c ... 0NTUkU5Q2M[/img]
lightninjay
Printmaster!

Post by lightninjay »

There's actually a hole in the base plate for the USB cord to be routed through.

I took the liberty of putting a red square around it to show where it is.
USBCordHole.jpg
If at first you don't succeed, you're doing something wrong. Try again, and if it fails again, try once more. Through trial and error, one can be the first to accomplish something great.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

Is that inkbird doohicky for the heated enclosure lamp? Or something new from seemecnc?
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Yeah, Inkbird and Home Depot ceramic base. Since this is in my garage, I'll be running heat lamp for a few months to keep enclosure at room temp or a bit higher. Enclosure will be done in a day or two, photos to come.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Psst! Page 142. Fig. 18.2-1. :D :D :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

geneb wrote:Psst! Page 142. Fig. 18.2-1. :D :D :D

g.
Yeah... funny, I read "Route the USB cable up through the hole in the front of the machine..." thinking it meant through the big front opening. I even remember looking at the picture to see where it plugged in. Oh well, looks fine with a little notch in the acrylic.
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

About done with my enclosure. 1/2 sheet of 1/4" plywood and 3/4" foam barrior, 8' 2x2, and some aluminum tape. I'm awaiting a 19" x 41" piece of 1/4" PC from a local supplier, will be the hinged door (will stop at lower rib). The front 1/3 of the lower rib area slides out (removable); rib baffle is 1/16" above top of base on v2. Cover for plastic reel access. Opening in lower right for fan output and access to power switch.

By the way, I traced the main top piece (of base) of the v2 before I assembled anything, made it easy to carve out the rib and top pieces (3/4" ply I had laying around). You can also saw through the 1/4" ply about 3/4's of the way through and all 5 sections will remain one piece.

[img]https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4v1c ... 0FhQWlYeTA[/img]

[img]https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4v1c ... jJqUkxVUk0[/img]
Last edited by tcat007 on Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for posting the pictures. It is amazing how you and others create these enclosures and each one is a little different.
Great job!
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

And r3d2 in it's home. Now I need to get a new PC or run a really long USB cable to my garage. MatterControl doesn't like XP :cry: Anxious to get this baby calibrated (just to see if it moves!)

[img]https://www.googledrive.com/host/0B4v1c ... GlXVVdKNDA[/img]
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

About insulating the enclosure with foam, I have read somewhere on the forum that ther has been an accident already... The insulating foam melted and dropped on the hot end => Fire => House down.

Yours is covered with aluminium; so it may be safier.... but personally, I would reconsider the use of such a material.
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Thanks for the warning, I won't run it at night anytime soon. Hoping the aluminum will reflect a lot of heat. It has a service temp of 121C, don't think the enclosure air will get that hot, and it's not close to the bed.
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

Hey, I was trying to find the original thread I was refering to, but then realized you already know it, since you already replied to it.

Anyway, your enclosure looks very nice. Congrats for that.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Your enclosure looks fantastic now that I see it completed, I would consider the temperature controller that I linked to previously, it will keep the insides
of the enclosure at a constant temperature by operating your heat lamp and an exhaust fan to cool when necessary. Best to you with your printing.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

eagle, that display on the top is the temperature controller. He does have a heater bulb in there too.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Xenocrates wrote:eagle, that display on the top is the temperature controller. He does have a heater bulb in there too.
Indeed it is, thanks for correcting my old eyes! :)
tcat007
Printmaster!

Post by tcat007 »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
Xenocrates wrote:eagle, that display on the top is the temperature controller. He does have a heater bulb in there too.
Indeed it is, thanks for correcting my old eyes! :)
It's my old mind I'm worried about. Got to say this is a fun retirement toy!

Damn, got to calibrating E-steps, went to install a reel of ABS, and couldn't figure out how to feed it... turns out I put the extruder on the wrong side of the plate (speaking of old eyes!). Once I relooked at the pictures I figured it out. Looks like an after dinner job...

Return to “Show us your machine!”