So far, so good!

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
Hydrolove
Printmaster!

So far, so good!

Post by Hydrolove »

Well, its together. Now to do the calibration. Any initial tips for a Noob?

Kris
Attachments
IMG_0012.jpg
Holy1
Printmaster!

Re: So far, so good!

Post by Holy1 »

Get a dial indicator. Makes calibration a breeze.
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hydrolove
Printmaster!

Post by Hydrolove »

I've seen the posts on that. Here's my questions, the dial indicator mounts I have seen have you remove the hot end and install the dial indicator in its place. How then do you know the height of your nozzle in reference to the bed? You will be able to establish a level plane but not in reference to the hot end because it isn't installed. Also, with the effector platform being plastic, how accurate will the dimension be once you reattach the hot end? I would think that there were will enough play or slop depending on how tight the 3 screws holding the hot end in are tightened to the melamine and plastic mounts. We are heating the parts to operating temp to check the bed height so there is a desire to keep the tolerances tight. Let me know your thoughts on this or if I'm looking at it the wrong way.

Kris
Holy1
Printmaster!

Post by Holy1 »

I used this by heathenx >http://repables.com/r/320/ . You can leave the hot end on the whole time. I've just left it installed for future calibrations.
Orion to Cartesian http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=7808" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hydrolove
Printmaster!

Post by Hydrolove »

Thanks for the link.That seems like it will take care of my concerns. I will definitely try that out!

Kris
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

Holy1 wrote:I used this by heathenx >http://repables.com/r/320/ . You can leave the hot end on the whole time. I've just left it installed for future calibrations.
There is not a problem with the indicator being off center on the platform? I would think you would want the in the same spot as the hot end just in case the platform is not level. Is there a link a thread where this setup is talk about more in depth?
The BONE ZONE build thread.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

The platform not being leve or more correctly is not a problem since you are looking a the alignment of the travel plane of the nozzle. While it might make a difference in the height of the nozzle, it should not effect the alignment.

nitewatchamn
Hydrolove
Printmaster!

Post by Hydrolove »

Let me make sure Iv'e got this straight in my head. Assuming you have the hot end installed, and you have the dial indicator mounted, you would run script 1 and set the nozzle to the correct height with the paper drag test by adjusting the stop screw. Once you have the height set you will zero the dial indicator and run the other scripts looking for the same (zero) indication on the dial indicator and adjust as necessary. Is this correct?
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

I think so. For script 1 it would even have to pass the drag test. At that stage you just want the indicator to read the same for all four scripts. So adjust the screws and the horizontal radius until all are within your acceptable limits.

After the effector is moving in a plane parallel to the bed, the plane can be moved up or down to set the final z height or zero using a sheet of paper. I use a feeler gauge with the .004" (.1mm) blade. I think it gives me better feel.
Hydrolove
Printmaster!

Post by Hydrolove »

I have been using a feeler gauge also. I use the .005" blade. Thanks for the info!

Kris

Return to “Show us your machine!”