Large all metal 3D delta printer need help

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
centoproject
Noob

Large all metal 3D delta printer need help

Post by centoproject »

Hello im not new to forums i love them and the people and wisdom within but this is the first 3d printer forum i have joined (mainly hang out on automotive forums) :D .

so here is my big build it is going to be all metal no printer parts at all completely designed by me in my head all i really need help with is electronics and programing

so for electronics i am using rumba board along with 5 nema 17 motors. i have set the electronics up first of all motors just vibrated so did a search and switched the coils until movement at last now more problems :shock:. motor or rumba seam to screech ? and drivers get hot to the touch not sure if i have messed up in the step settings or something ? just want to get the motors esc to work before installing into the all metal frame and drive gear incase they just don't stop :lol:

I'm sure someone can help me out with this one quite new to arduino based programing and will deffo struggle with delta settings oh and for firmware I'm using modified merlin

oh yes and if someone around west Yorkshire could come and help that would be fantastic :)
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Large all metal 3D delta printer need help

Post by Polygonhell »

The driver chips get hot, if they get too hot you will drop steps as the protection mechanism cuts in (this could be the screech your hearing), if you set the current too low, you drop steps because there is insufficient torque.

Depending on the motor, the correct setting varies a bit, not all Nema 17 motors are good for the small drivers used by the common electronics.

It's usually best to run a fan blowing across the drivers, the chips are actually designed to release heat through the back of the package not the front, some better driver carrier board designs have plated through holes connected to a copper pad on the backside of the board, that's the bit you want to cool. If yours don't have this, don't worry about it and just blow some air over the board. for now though I'd probably try turning the current down.

You'll have to define screech a little bit more I assume they sound different than the stepper motors you've heard before?

Your best bet on firmware setup is to either go onto the reprap IRC or find a local maker group, the Google groups delta robot forum might be a good place to post https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/deltabot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

While a few users here know about Merlin or the Ruma board, most have no experience with them as they are not delivered with the SeeMeCNC products. Any advice is likely to be generic rather than specific, at least in these forums.

So, generic advice: If the drivers are only hot to the touch, it's fine. Too hot to touch may not be, although even then they normally fail by refusing to work properly rather than dying. What current settings are you asking them to deliver to the motors? There's either a manual or digipot that can be set for each driver. At higher current settings or when installed in a box the drivers may need heat sinks added, a fan blowing across them, or both. Same is true of the motors, it's ok if they get warm up some, it's not ok if they are getting too hot to touch. Wiring-wise, if they move in the right direction in exactly they way they're commanded, then the wiring is likely correct.
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Not at all related... Poly - how come you have no avatar? Can I give you one :)
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

McSlappy wrote:Not at all related... Poly - how come you have no avatar? Can I give you one :)
He wants to be incognito.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Nope just never really thought of an interesting image to use.
centoproject
Noob

Post by centoproject »

thanks guys well i have a fan in the second pin header still need to send m code to get it going though :P. and i have experience around cmc equipment so i know ow they should sound. its almost like they turn then there not quite at the right stop ? i tried turning the current up ton the pots but no luck granted the pitch changed.
in regards to the chips heat i will mill a large heat sink or shroud to better direct the air.

i will upload pictured soon so exited to get this thing going

Return to “Show us your machine!”