It's nothing too fancy, but here is my Rostock Max V2.

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
sLpFhaWK
Printmaster!

It's nothing too fancy, but here is my Rostock Max V2.

Post by sLpFhaWK »

Built a White V2 Rostock Max, and it's been great.

I've broken a couple things, and learned a bunch since the start but where I am at now I couldn't be any happier.

It started off as an early V2, so I upgraded the arms and the skates, then I went to an e3dv6 hot end with a 713 maker mount. I bought 2 more cooling fans from seemecnc to give me 3 part fans and hooked those up for little fans, they sure cool off everything a bunch.

During my journey I stumbled across MHackney, who in part is very, very wise and he showed me about Duet boards. So I went by his house to pick up a used Duet 0.6.5 and by then I had ordered a set of FSR's for auto bed leveling and let me tell you.. Auto bed calibration with a duet and fsr's is the best thing since sliced bread. Now that the V3 has the accelerometer leveling probe there isn't any REAL need to switch, since MHackney is writing code to get the new board to work with Duets it could be very interesting in teh future..

Regardless, I've upgraded to the newest Duet Wifi with the 7" touch screen. The silent stepper drivers on the new wifi are AMAZING and the only real issue I have now with the printer is the 30mm fan used to cool off the e3dv6. I need to find a solution FAST. Also the 60mm fan used to exhaust air from the power supply is also rather loud. I may upgrade that to 80mm based off a post I saw earlier here on the forums.

:mrgreen: Here are some photo's!
2016-10-14 22.58.51.jpg
2016-10-14 22.59.58.jpg
2016-10-14 22.59.10.jpg
crocky
Printmaster!

Re: It's nothing too fancy, but here is my Rostock Max V2.

Post by crocky »

Never ending process... My Rostock Max V2 has been through a bit too :) I am currently fitting the new HE print head..
Bob
Rostock Max V2, Ball Cup Arms, New Carriages, HE280, Dampers, PSU Breathing, Simplify 3D, GeckoTek3D, Raspberry Pi3. Duet soon... Kossel Mini still under construction.
Delta's are the way!
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Isn't it always. As far as the fan on the v6 goes, why not ask Mike to help you make a water cooled version, as he's built them before, and if you have a radiator, you should be fine with either no fan if the room temperature is rather low, or very low speed larger diameter fan, which should cut noise a lot and increase performance
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
sLpFhaWK
Printmaster!

Post by sLpFhaWK »

crocky wrote:Never ending process... My Rostock Max V2 has been through a bit too :) I am currently fitting the new HE print head..
I was going to go that route, might have been around the same cost but I'm happy with what I have. Video of it in motion coming soon!
Xenocrates wrote:Isn't it always. As far as the fan on the v6 goes, why not ask Mike to help you make a water cooled version, as he's built them before, and if you have a radiator, you should be fine with either no fan if the room temperature is rather low, or very low speed larger diameter fan, which should cut noise a lot and increase performance
He's a pretty busy guy, he did show me the parts he had for his water cooled hot end though.. I'd love to cut that noise completely though. Maybe I can bribe him with more Moe's and get him to show me how to make one =)
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

The duet makes the stepper motors quieter?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Qdeathstar wrote:The duet makes the stepper motors quieter?
The duet Wifi has some really fancy Trinamic drivers which DC42 makes full use of, and one of the features is a very quite mode that uses interpolated microstepping to reduce noise.
sLpFhaWK wrote: He's a pretty busy guy, he did show me the parts he had for his water cooled hot end though.. I'd love to cut that noise completely though. Maybe I can bribe him with more Moe's and get him to show me how to make one =)
Well, if it would help, I have a CAD drawing and a shop-print that a small machine shop should be able to turn out for a drop in replacement that takes an off the shelf DC motor waterjacket. I could throw that up for anyone that would like it, but can't make them myself right now.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

There are a number of ways of creating a water cooling jacket for the V6. In fact, there is a thread on the E3D Systems forum about these. I made a custom jacket because I shortened the length of my heat exchanger by about 50%. If you use a premed jacket like Xenocrates mentioned, it takes about 5 minutes on the lathe to turn down the cooling fins and slip the jacket on. It is all held together with JB Weld. I could probably be talked into making these if anyone is interested.

The water pump is a 12V aquarium submersible pump. There are photos in my V1 build thread. I use a 1 liter plastic container and it is absolutely quiet and does not require any sort of cooling. I do put a small strip of silver wire in the container to prevent nasties from growing in the water, it works great and I've never had any scum or algae/mold growing in mine after several years of usage.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Show us your machine!”