A debut of my new Yellow Jacket build.

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
Jassper
Printmaster!

A debut of my new Yellow Jacket build.

Post by Jassper »

A quick video of my new build (actually a crappy video - my phone doesn't do video very well)

Frame: Tricklaser MAX Metal
Electronics: FastBot 3D BBP 1 from their Kickstarter
Motors: 0.9 400 steps
Hotend: E3D Light with Tricklaser platform and 713Maker mounting and Yellow Jacket plug in board.
Heated Bed: 120 Volt electric stove coil mounted to a 3/8" aluminum plate
Custom Carbon Fiber Arms and Trucks I cut out of G10 FR4 fiber board with the Shapoko II

https://youtu.be/5iXUGi1ELUw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The MakerHive
Yellow Jacket Quick Clip Plug in board
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Some things are meant to be closed, your mind isn't one of them.
There is a difference between what you know and what you have been told
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: A debut of my new Yellow Jacket build.

Post by teoman »

Looks very good.

Mind writing a quick tutorial for the BBP?

Oh and how did you get the towers black?
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

teoman wrote:Looks very good.

Mind writing a quick tutorial for the BBP?

Oh and how did you get the towers black?
The towers are simply Black anodized, special request. I sent the materials to Tricklase for the MAX metal frame.

http://www.fastbot3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://wiki.fastbot3d.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have been working close with Fastbot the past few weeks, they are dedicated to making their software the best it can be.
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

Jassper,

that is fantastic!! love the whole thing, color is amazing!!!

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

It's been said before but I must say it again - A Fantastic Printer!

On the cross pieces, did you have to use a special primer before painting them yellow?
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

Eaglezsoar wrote:It's been said before but I must say it again - A Fantastic Printer!

On the cross pieces, did you have to use a special primer before painting them yellow?
According to everything I read on the internet - no. But this is one of those times I wish I had followed my gut. Supposedly aluminum that is already anodized (clear), doesn't need any special primer to get paint to stick. But I am noticing paint peeling already. So I will most likely take one rail off at a time (top and bottom) strip it and use acid etch primer first, then re-paint. :(
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Jassper wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:It's been said before but I must say it again - A Fantastic Printer!

According to everything I read on the internet - no. But this is one of those times I wish I had followed my gut. Supposedly aluminum that is already anodized (clear), doesn't need any special primer to get paint to stick. But I am noticing paint peeling already. So I will most likely take one rail off at a time (top and bottom) strip it and use acid etch primer first, then re-paint. :(
Thank you for what you said. I thought aluminum anodized or not required acid primer and you just made sure that I do not make the same mistake, thanks!
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

Jassper wrote:

The typical anodizing process uses a seal process which improves corrosion resistance and protects against staining. You can request a cold water rinse that won't seal and then provides a good layer for paint adhesion.

It's not something you will get unless you work directly with the anodizing supplier.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

ccavanaugh wrote:
Jassper wrote:

The typical anodizing process uses a seal process which improves corrosion resistance and protects against staining. You can request a cold water rinse that won't seal and then provides a good layer for paint adhesion.

It's not something you will get unless you work directly with the anodizing supplier.
That explains it wonderfully, thanks!
Jassper
Printmaster!

Post by Jassper »

ccavanaugh wrote:
Jassper wrote:

Would using a #0000 steal wool on the piece first remove this seal?
Perhaps I'll do both SW and acid primer. Thanks for the info.
The MakerHive
Berd-Air Cooling Kit
The MakerHive Store
ccavanaugh
Printmaster!

Post by ccavanaugh »

No... to seal in the anodizing world is to close down the porous structure. It would take a chemical strip and anodizing process at that point. A good shop can strip, and then I would do with a Type III hard anodize over the Type II they came with. Much harder, slicker, and thickness can be increased to offset the lost thickness from removal of the Type II. Type III will be a darker grey and most shops will be able to add a black dye.
blainet
Noob

Post by blainet »

Sorry to bring back up this older thread. One note on hard coat anodizing. Half of the anodizing is into the metal and half on top. Think that it will add .0015" or less to your finished surface so a slot that's say .200" wide will be reduced by .0015" per side, total of .003" or less. Probably not something you would notice. Stripping can remove more than that if they aren't careful and the piece must be brought back to bare metal for anodizing to take. It's also a 'line of sight' process so the inside of a tube will get little to none of the coating. Hard coat is also not conductive - an ohm meter should show zero whereas decorative anodizing will be conductive and is much thinner. Ccavanaugh is correct - hard coat has a very high hardness rating and depending on the application, can be grown into thicknesses of .005" or greater.
Bbegent
Noob

Post by Bbegent »

Love the arm design with springs. Im using rubber bands and dont think its a good longterm choice.
Unleash your Creativity

Return to “Show us your machine!”