Rostock Max V2 - New build

Post a pic of your CNC machines!
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Rostock Max V2 - New build

Post by Fabio »

After weeks of research and now some spare time available I started my build.

I'm incorporating a E3D V6 from the outset along with some other small mods - also building stock head as a spare. Didn't currently have a printer so got a proper mount for the E3Dfrom sculpteo with some custom aluminium rods courtesy of my Bro's Lathe.

preparation:
rostock_build_02.jpg
rostock_build_03.jpg
rostock_build_04.jpg
I opted to label everything - it certainly made the job easier for me and I'd recommend it to other new builders :)

After 5 hours on day one of the build I go to this stage:
rostock_build_08.jpg
rostock_build_09.jpg
As I was fitting the nema astroysyn dampers from the outset there were no screws needed for the fitment in the kit - However I have kept all my PC bits and pieces from builds over the years and I can inform you that hard drive enclosure screws are perfect for the job of fitting the dampers to the motors ;)
rostock_build_13.jpg
Day Two: Another 3-4 hours:

I ran into issues with the heated bed - my soldering iron just wasn't up to the job of soldering the main power connectors to the bed - not enough wattage and the bed simply took the heat away faster than the iron could provide it - so I've had to order a decent wattage soldering station and I will have to wait until it turns up to complete that part of the build - however I did crack on with most of what I could whilst I await the needed tools...
rostock_build_17.jpg
also prepping the stock hot end as a backup to the E3D if it's needed
rostock_build_21.jpg
so that's it for now - will have to wait a few days now for the soldering tools to turn up before I can make any further headway..
Attachments
rostock_build_20.jpg
MESHWEAVER - making the Imaginary real on a Daily Basis.....
Gundy1024
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock Max V2 - New build

Post by Gundy1024 »

Looking good! I should be starting my build tomorrow, can't wait. :)
Rostock Max V2 - Unnamed as of yet...
Robo 3D R1
One of the two printers can be found streaming at the link below just about every day. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wky8RuNW9TY
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Nice job Fabio! Thanks for all the pictures!
predawnsky
Printmaster!

Post by predawnsky »

looking good fabio
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

solder station turned up which allowed me to crack on this weekend - I managed to get the major assembly done on Saturday along with a little tool I acquired to make my life easier - try as I might I never got rid of the 0.1 degree! ;)
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
then Sunday I managed to get all the wiring and the Rambo and LCD panel fitted:
IMG_1287.JPG
I got these made up for the E3D alumide parts from sculpteo and the spacers from my brothers lathe:
IMG_1289.JPG
I'll also be sticking this on the side to make life easier:
IMG_1290.JPG
Unfortunately I need to get hold of some more long Roundhead nuts to attach the E3D with so I'll have to wait for them to turn up as they need to be imperial..
AlphaLima
Plasticator

Post by AlphaLima »

Looking very nice. Is this the E3D V6 mount you used? Im thinking about getting one but just looking into mounting options now.

I used this level with my bed and also couldnt get closer than .1 degrees off. Maybe if i had a second set of hands to hold it and tighten it, but so far it dosent seem to effect it.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Awesome job. Looks great!! You will have a blast printing.
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

AlphaLima wrote:Looking very nice. Is this the E3D V6 mount you used? Im thinking about getting one but just looking into mounting options now.
This is the one I got and used -
http://repables.com/r/296/

AlphaLima wrote:I used this level with my bed and also couldnt get closer than .1 degrees off. Maybe if i had a second set of hands to hold it and tighten it, but so far it dosent seem to effect it.
Yeah I'm not going to worry about a tenth of a degree - in engineering terms that's well within tolerance and is, as we say; only a gnat's spherical genital out! ;)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Thanks for the link to the mount you used, very useful.
predawnsky
Printmaster!

Post by predawnsky »

if your thinking of using an e2d try this form there are several modified mount you might like
http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=6081" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
this is the one im using, it works get even with pla
Attachments
20141213_154420.jpg
20141213_154415.jpg
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Just a quick update:

Haven't managed to install the firmware yet - Work got busy as hell and then I had a week to deal with a particularly bad Gallbladder attack that required anti-biotics - sigh - back to the project very soon!!

I would like advice on the best Filament extruder kit to buy though to make my own filament as I foresee using this machine quite a LOT! :)
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Woot!

Got her up and running - and calibrated! - :)

One thing I want to check - when I did the calibration I had the bed and the E3D hot end up to working temperature - is this correct or should the calibration be done with a hot bed and cold hot end - I was under the assumption the paper calibration test is to account for thermal expansion of the hot end so doing it with a hot end at working temp might throw it off?

Few last things left to do - sort out any issues there might be with settings for the E3D thermistor settings and set-up the layer fan - then the first prints should be soon!
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Wow - lots has happened since I last had chance to post here:

It was apparent to me after a while that although Some mods weren't strictly necessary - I definitely wanted to address some issues personally that I had.

So I ordered Trick trucks - max metal platform and the carbon fibre arms. These took about 3 weeks to turn up and I had to pay even more for customs and so I fit them to the printer..
P8270396.JPG
P8270394.JPG
P8270372.JPG
They weren't difficult to fit at all and I added the 4mm extra radius setting that the makers suggest and set about recalibrating the printer from scratch.

The ultimate result is that I am so impressed and happy with these upgrades that I immediately ordered spares of the only parts that could be broken and that was the Carbon fibre arms.

Everything got so tight and accurate I had to work through my S3D settings again as perimeters and the like were now not touching during prints when they were fine just before the upgrades - just now got it dialled back in again nicely..I never realised there was so much 'invisible' slop in the standard setup - highly recommended upgrades these..

Were these upgrades worth the money - definitely!
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Another issue I was encountering was curling and slight lifting on PLA prints due to uneven cooling from the single layer fan that I had at the time.

I waited until I fitted the new kit and then designed and printed two layer fan holders with slight modifications to fit the E3DV6 head and max metal platform properly and to direct the air flow to just at the tip of the nozzle and to see if I could get good cooling coverage from just two fans by having a distorted mouth on the holders.
P8270390.JPG
P8270375.JPG
P8270344.JPG
I now get to use various levels of fan cooling through the slicer for specific layers and types of prints. much more flexible.

Works superbly! I have not yet noted the need for an additional front fan. these two perform great.

Members who may have seen my other posts may note that i had a lot of problems with the heat setting due to a dodgy thermistor supplied with the E3D - I got hold of a M3 studded therm' and fitted it using the recommened therm' table and now it works superbly - verified by a thermocouple for more accuracy and I can now print PLA from 185 through to 206 C depending on brand and type with no hassles.

With these upgrades and a bit of experimentation oozing and stringing have been practically eliminated except where it's totally unavoidable...
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

Another thing I noticed was that the Extruder trying to overcome the mass and friction of the Spool holder assembly was sometimes giving me lots of problems periodically.... jams - chewing up filament etc....

To eliminate this altogether I downloaded and modified and existing STL from Thingi' and set it up with V Bearings and now it's totally sweet and feeds beautifully and trouble free through even the longest prints.
P8270399.JPG
I have a problem with the extruder motor causing issues if it's not cooled - at the moment I have a small desk fan pointed in the direction of the motor from a shelf and it works great - I will fit a permanent solution soon to it with a heat sink and printed fan holder on the motor - and possibly may leave it until after I upgrade to a geared stepper - not sure yet.
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

And here are just a few Of the resultant prints I've managed to download or design and print..
Single perimeter pen holder
Single perimeter pen holder
Maintenance dock for Vaping Gear
Maintenance dock for Vaping Gear
Potter Wands for the Kids: Two downloaded and two designed by myself
Potter Wands for the Kids: Two downloaded and two designed by myself
P7200126.JPG
P7200125.JPG
P7200119.JPG
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

custom egrip holder for the missus desk
custom egrip holder for the missus desk
My first large Print for a 3D Hubs order completed this weekend - 15 hour print..
P8240275.JPG
P8240281.JPG
P8240284.JPG
Fabio
Prints-a-lot

Post by Fabio »

and finally for now - a custom designed Kefir stand for my fridge using multiple slot together parts that were glued when finally assembled - the accuracy of the new setup made this a successful print right off the bat...
P8180269.JPG
P8180267.JPG
Stevolution
Printmaster!

Post by Stevolution »

Nice build!

Just starting mine. Most of the parts have arrived.
Still waiting on my TrickLaser carbon arms etc (how much was your UK import tax?)

Return to “Show us your machine!”