Kickstarter for Gecko3D Build plate

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
apostoly
Printmaster!

Kickstarter for Gecko3D Build plate

Post by apostoly »

Kickstarter was just launched for the Gecko3D build plate.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ge ... -156993753" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pledge $25 or more
Early Bird Special!! Get one GeckoTek Plate cut to fit any print area smaller than 12" x 12".

Now im just curious if this can be cut onto the shape for our rostocks. Someone literally just left a comment asking the question so i will keep my eye out on it and update this thread unless someone knows already??

Paul
apostoly
Printmaster!

Re: Kickstarter for Gecko3D Build plate

Post by apostoly »

Creator Brad Ruff 1 minute ago
Hey Guys! Thanks for all your support!
Like Joel said, round plates are no problem. We hopefully will be adding more magnetic bases if we get enough backers and requests.
We would love for everyone to get multiple rewards. Will send out a survey after the campaign is determine exactly what you would like.
Thanks!

Looking good :)
atoff
Printmaster!

Post by atoff »

Ah, didn't see this thread before posting my own. http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5659" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But yeah, looks like we'll be able to get them cut to fit our plates, hopefully we'll see a magnetic base as well. :D
McSlappy
Printmaster!

Post by McSlappy »

Yeah that would be awesome. Looks like a killer material :)
I loved my Rostock so much I now sell them in Oz :)
brent
Printmaster!

Post by brent »

Material looks interesting. Once again it is a weird proprietary material (similar to BuildTak). However, I'm not going to make an opinion on the actual product until I try it.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

well i have some pei ordered but i would prefer something that is as simple as just popping onto the build platform and never touching it again

looking forward to receiving this even though its still a while away from being shipped
Boundless
Printmaster!

Post by Boundless »

Aarggg.. I missed the Early Bird.. Dang it.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

apostoly wrote:Creator Brad Ruff 1 minute ago
Like Joel said, round plates are no problem. We hopefully will be adding more magnetic bases if we get enough backers and requests.
We would love for everyone to get multiple rewards. Will send out a survey after the campaign is determine exactly what you would like.
Thanks!

+1 for including a round Rostock option in their survey.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

Jimustanguitar wrote:
apostoly wrote:Creator Brad Ruff 1 minute ago
Thanks!

+1 for including a round Rostock option in their survey.
Well getting the plate cut for the rostock is not a problem thats been confirmed, its the metal hot plate with magnets that we need pushed in the survey. That would be awesome. Im considering cancelling my order of PEI but im just too curious haha
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

They better patent this or someone like Stratasys will try and screw them. This is one of those few items that needs patent protection in my opinion.

Even at $39 this is a good deal.
Challenge yourself and be a more awesome you.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Holy crap! They made their funding in a damn hurry! Good for them!
Demolishun wrote:They better patent this or someone like Stratasys will try and screw them. This is one of those few items that needs patent protection in my opinion.

Even at $39 this is a good deal.
I agree. It's a bloody shame when you see companies come in a do stuff like that.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Unfortunately now with the patent law changes in the recent past, showing precedence no longer counts. It is strictly a race to the patent office, first filer wins.

It has changed the way we do R&D and file for intellectual property.

nitewatchman
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

A published design would count as prior art and would invalidate any nonsense that Stratasys or anyone else would attempt.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

nitewatchman wrote:Unfortunately now with the patent law changes in the recent past, showing precedence no longer counts. It is strictly a race to the patent office, first filer wins.
I talked with a patent expert about this point and that is not entirely true. It is first to file, but you still have to prove you are the inventor. I would think it would be very hard for Joe Blo to prove he invented something as sophisticated as a surface for 3D printing. That would include all sorts of chemical tests, manufacturing testing, consultations with chemists etc. I bet there are all sorts of papers written by these folks too. I also noticed they say nothing about the chemical formula for the surface on the Kickstarter. That is a smart move IMO.

I backed the project for a build plate ($39 is a freaking steal for this) and pleaded with them in the comments to NOT let themselves be bought. I think their build surface will propel them into a very profitable company and they can partner with the right 3D printer companies and keep it out of the hands of certain players in the market. At least I hope they do. That will help keep competition in the market alive and well. I hope this also pushes 3D printers to offer better build surfaces like PEI too.
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Of course you are correct, you must be able to show and declare that you or your company were part of the inventive process but in the case of several enities working on similar or the same developments, things are not as cut and dry as they once were.

We are now very careful of disclosure until we have have received a priority filing date.

nitewatchman
Demolishun
Printmaster!

Post by Demolishun »

nitewatchman wrote:We are now very careful of disclosure until we have have received a priority filing date.
Good move! Same thing at our company. We pretty much don't say anything about anything in our systems. If we do patent it is for defensive reasons mostly.
atoff
Printmaster!

Post by atoff »

They've just reached their $30k goal, so if you guys are interested in the $15 roll of filament perk, now's the time.
apostoly
Printmaster!

Post by apostoly »

GeckoTek Update #4
1 comment Like 2 likes
Hi Everyone!

We have just 9 Days to go. This has been an incredible experience for all of us. Again I can't express how much we appreciate all of your support. There is some important information below. Please read everything.

In order to help us finish strong I am happy to announce the last round of Magnetic Base Combos.

Magnetic Base Combo 6: Large Delta printers, Kossel Clear PLA. (ABS version uses MK2 heated bed), and the SeeMeCNC RostockMax. Reuses the existing headed bed and mounting points. $95

Magnetic Base Combo 7: Small delta printer, only for the SeeMeCNC Orion Delta printer. Reuses the existing heated bed and mounting location. $75.

We have worked with ORD solutions and they will offer a upgrade to the RoVa3D through their campaign. If you want a Magnetic base combo for the RoVa3D it will come from the factory ready to go! Thank you to all of those that requested we work together.

Update on the Robo3D magnetic base. After some addition research I found out that the heater and thermister will need to replaced. You will get a new heater and thermister along with the magnetic base. This shouldn't be much of a problem for us. I just want you to know what to expect.

We have also made the difficult decision to limit the size of the plates to 12". This is for a number of reasons including processing, safety and shipping. Sorry to those looking for larger plates.

Thank you!

The GeckoTek Team

Return to “The Lounge”