Electrical help needed

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
foshon
Printmaster!

Electrical help needed

Post by foshon »

My father-in-law has a 24v battery backup sump system. The charger isn't cheap, and is not working. I took it home to play with it, but can't get it to show on. I assume it's because I don;t have a load connected to the charger. Is there an easy way to fake a 24v marine battery?
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.
Eric
Printmaster!

Re: Electrical help needed

Post by Eric »

Two 12V automotive batteries in series would probably do the trick. Jumper cables are good enough for temporary connections.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

Yep, marine batteries ( Deep Cycle) are only different in that the lead plates are fewer and larger so car 12v (starter) batteries in series would work the same as a load for a charger. If it does simple load checking, if you have a high wattage resistor load that'd work for basic checks but that's less likely to be available than two car batteries.
kbob
Printmaster!

Post by kbob »

lordbinky wrote:Yep, marine batteries ( Deep Cycle) are only different in that the lead plates are fewer and larger so car 12v (starter) batteries in series would work the same as a load for a charger. If it does simple load checking, if you have a high wattage resistor load that'd work for basic checks but that's less likely to be available than two car batteries.
A stove burner is a convenient high wattage resistor. They're somewhere around 20 ohms, I think. I have no idea whether a 20 ohm load would make a battery charger switch on.
foshon
Printmaster!

Post by foshon »

Thanks all!
Purple = sarcasm

Please do a board search before posting your question, many have been answered with very time consuming detail already.

Return to “The Lounge”