Hectic! But nice.

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Hectic! But nice.

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Oh man this is been a hectic last couple of days!
And for some reason I cannot stop using ! all over the place. I must be excited! (see there I go again)

We finally managed to get the web shop for the Nimble opened. You would not believe the hoops we are still jumping through.
The main issue is that Brian, my business partner, lives in Australia while I live in Cyprus. One of the most bureaucratic countries in Europe. The bank is demanding that Brian comes to Cyprus to sign a document! 27 hour trip, one way. We found a solution, but I am still not happy with it. Think I will move to Estonia.

Regardless of the trouble and tribulations, we are now selling the Nimble on the site http://zesty.tech

I just realised, I am too excited to ask if I am allowed to plug my own product here. If not, delete, please.
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Re: Hectic! But nice.

Post by gchristopher »

Huh, apparently the dinosaurs have the PayPal password now, too, because they ordered a Nimble as part of the project to switch the whole effector platform over to 713Maker parts.

They look pretty excited about it!

[img]http://gchristopher.net/3dprinting/dino ... nimble.jpg[/img]
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Just put my order in this morning... what is the lead time?
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

I am looking forward to seeing some installs / results
joe
Printmaster!

Post by joe »

Seems a little costly considering you have to assemble it and no stepper.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

I wonder where they are being shiped from, only $9 shipping to the NW USA but paying in euros :D

Looking at part of the machine being SLS printed, we are probably lucky it isn't more costly. I am interested to see how well it works as opposed to a Bowden. They are both sort a remote system, seems like this would feed more filament types and still have similar retract performance.

-Dwight
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

it's in the same price range as most other premium extruders.... though most do include steppers.... i already have a collection so not a big deal :)
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Qdeathstar - Hurry up and do a writeup already! ;)
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

i ain't got it yet. :D I'm assuming it will probably take at least a few weeks...
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

That is no excuse!
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

morgandc wrote:That is no excuse!
I agree! :lol:

Didn't Michael have a pre-production model?
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Hey guys,
Nice comments! Love the look of those dinosaurs.
The Nimble body parts are all made with SLS printing, nylon12. Nice and strong stuff. We just received the production tests of all the metal parts, like the bracket, coupling and the hobbed wheel. It is all looking pretty good.
But the wait is for the gears, as they are injection molded. Making those molds takes time. Then we still have to do the quality checks and everything.
We expect delivery around end of March :-( as mentioned on the site.

And nobody has a pre-production model. yet. Well, I do, but I don't count.
Mounting it on a i3 clone today, just to see how that fits with the cable length we have. Should be a doddle.

I can write a writeup for you Qdeathstar, if you want. :-)

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

Sounds good, im pretty excited :D
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I ordered four, and I can't wait for it to arrive!
joe wrote:Seems a little costly considering you have to assemble it and no stepper.
Worth every penny to me!
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

I saw, thanks Pilot!

We are quite happy with the initial pick up.
Now comes the hard slog designing all the adaptors everybody wants. For instance, working on a Diamond effector for the Rostock with integrated Nimbles. We promised we would design em, so we are designing em.

Sorry about the self assembly, but then, it is only 5 parts and some bearings. Besides, the first thing everybody will do when they get the Nimble is take it apart to see how it works. At least I would.

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Zesty_Lykle wrote:Sorry about the self assembly, but then, it is only 5 parts and some bearings. Besides, the first thing everybody will do when they get the Nimble is take it apart to see how it works. At least I would.
How long does it take to assemble one of them?
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

We'll be mounting it to a 713maker tool holder, which I don't see on the adapter list (since it an aftermarket upgrade), but I don't mind designing an adapter for it and I bet others are doing that as well.
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

I saw those aluminium mounts, they look so good. I want!

To be honest, I think it is going to be quite a challenge to make a Nimble fit on those mounts. And for sure to make it look as good as these mounts do.
Especially because normally the Nimble sits below the plane of the top of the Hot end. In fact, in the standard configuration we use the Nimble to clamp in the hot end as well.

I think I will have to contact them to see if we can make something that will fit.
And if you are designing your own, we are here to help, so let me know if there is anything you need.
On http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1843195 you can find a downloadable model of the Nimble but also a mounting hole diagram.

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

the problem with that diagram is that it only shows the single nimble confit and if looks like you got a two gang plate for the 2 gang... a drawing of that plate would be handy.
Zesty_Lykle
Printmaster!

Post by Zesty_Lykle »

Good point Qdeathstar! Thanks.
It seems I have not yet added a mount plate for the Chimera on our Thingiverse page.

So I have added it. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2115133

My apologies.

Lykle
Lykle
Design life, and enjoy.
gchristopher
Printmaster!

Post by gchristopher »

I wonder how it's going for the Nimble? I got an email on March 28 describing a problem with the gears.

Has anyone else heard from Brian and Lykle?
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

nope. still waiting, looks like they are making a lot of compromises, so we'll see. From what i read they changed to a different sls printer whose tolerances weren't as tight, but they are adding a bushing or something to get rid of the wobble.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Qdeathstar wrote:nope. still waiting, looks like they are making a lot of compromises, so we'll see. From what i read they changed to a different sls printer whose tolerances weren't as tight, but they are adding a bushing or something to get rid of the wobble.
I got an email about this a week or two ago. Having designed products with lots of pieces that have to fit together perfectly, I know there's always going to be something.
Qdeathstar
Printmaster!

Post by Qdeathstar »

I hear you. We are a month behind schedule. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong ;)
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

They shipped one to mhackney and he said that it worked very well, and that he expected it to hold up over time.

Return to “The Lounge”