Next Printer?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
morgandc
Printmaster!

Next Printer?

Post by morgandc »

I am pondering whether to purchase a 2nd machine as I am interested in making changes to the max but don't want to be without a printer while doing upgrades. So... has anyone run across an enclosed, heated bed printer using the duet controller? Dual extruder?

-Dwight
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Re: Next Printer?

Post by IMBoring25 »

With those criteria you'll probably have to scratch build something or heavily modify a kit.

I'm kicking around the idea of a modified D-Bot that would meet those criteria, but the D-Bot isn't enclosed in stock form and nobody is kitting it.
morgandc
Printmaster!

Post by morgandc »

Not sure I am up to a scratch build yet. I was kind of thinking of a Cartesian next and going with a larger print bed to print multiples of small items, but I also like the idea of getting another Max and building it up. Always nice to have interchangeable parts for troubleshooting... I will keep looking, but I haven't found a great option yet.
Ravitch
Printmaster!

Post by Ravitch »

I'm up to 9 printers, but here is my next printer, well next two as I just ordered two of them:

http://www.gearbest.com/3d-printers-3d- ... 41281.html

The build volume is huge for the price, 300 x 300 x 400, and with a coupon the price was $369 shipped. Heated bed - check. The kit is almost entirely metal, and initial reviews came out great on it. The best part is they come almost 90 percent put together, so 15 minutes and you are up and running. And with the seperated electronics, you can build an enclosure in 15 minutes with a $9.99 Ikea table.
Ravitch
Printmaster!

Post by Ravitch »

Something to consider in your price range is the PowerSpec Ultra 3D Printer, which is a way cheaper rebadged version of the FlashForge Dreamer. $599 vs $1099, though you can find them open box all the time as people give up on 3D printing and return them.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4486 ... 3D_Printer

Has an enclosed build chamber, though not a super large print bed. Not sure if the controller is a duet but it is 32 bit, which kind of pisses off the FlashForge Creator Pro crowd. Also not sure if the FlashForge custom firmware can be stripped out for something else, haven't done enough research into it. I do have one dedicated to printing with ABS, I've been using FlashPrint without a problem and this machine runs 24 hours a day without a glitch.
deadpool66
Printmaster!

Post by deadpool66 »

care to share the coupon code?
Ravitch
Printmaster!

Post by Ravitch »

deadpool66 wrote:care to share the coupon code?
It is GHDAD1, though if that has stopped working you can google GearBest coupon and find one usually.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

If you want to build a kickass awesome delta printer, start here. I have one MAX Metal and am (very, very slowly) building a second. The frame is precisely machined and self-aligning, and the entire machine - electronics and all - can be built in an afternoon.

Return to “The Lounge”