Rambo board to control K40 laser

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Rambo board to control K40 laser

Post by CodonExe »

Has anyone used a Rambo board to control their K40 Laser? I am about buy a Duet with PanelDue for my MAX V2 and have been playing with the idea of using the replaced Rambo as a upgrade for my K40 laser.

Any thoughts?
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rambo board to control K40 laser

Post by bubbasnow »

For the x and y i dont see why not, but what is switching the 40W power beam?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

bubbasnow wrote:For the x and y i dont see why not, but what is switching the 40W power beam?
Most of the laser power supplies have a "trigger" wire going to them. It'd be similar to controlling an FSR for a heated bed.
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

Upgrade from what? Is it broken in any way? The rambo isn't more powerful than the generic arduino equivalent, it's just an all-in-one package.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

If it's like the K40 that I got to play with, it's got a weird serial interface (non USB) that limits what programs you can use to control it. An open architecture, and USB connectivity would be a world of improvement on the convenience front.
CodonExe
Printmaster!

Post by CodonExe »

The stock board for the laser is proprietary along the software. Laser is triggered with PWM. It sounds like a Rambo board would be a good upgrade. This is pretty good news as I will be able to find a good home for Rambo after my upgrade. This mod should be fun! :D
Rostock Max V2, Duet Wifi, IR Probe, PanelDue 7" LCD, Heated Enclosure, Firestop cans, Thermally Fused 12v E3D V6, Berd Air, Floating Thermally fused 24v Bed, Aluminum heat spreader, PEI, Dual 12v PSUs in series.

Return to “The Lounge”