Detroit Maker Faire 2016

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Proto
Printmaster!

Detroit Maker Faire 2016

Post by Proto »

Hey dee oh all

Of course, I'm not sure if I put this in the right forum. Oh Well

I just writing a quick note to say that I'm going to be at the 2016 Detroit Maker Faire along with my trusty Rostock Maxx v1. I will be setup at the 501st/Rebel Legion booth all weekend.

Looking forward to it

Proto
aka Mike
This Space for RENT --- PM me for info --- :roll: :lol:

My build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OG build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Detroit Maker Faire 2016

Post by Xenocrates »

I'll be there as well, with the rocketry groups out on the lawn. Anyone else who's planning on coming (besides the SeemeCNC folks, as that's pretty much expected from them), you're welcome to stop by and chat, or whatever else.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
PartDaddy
Printmaster!

Post by PartDaddy »

rocketry, hmmm, I have a rather large rocket needing launched by someone...
~PartDaddy
SeeMeCNC Owner & Founder
Blackpoint Engineering is SeeMeCNC
Since 1996
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

If it's the PLA one from MRRF, it needs some serious rocket surgery first.
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Proto
Printmaster!

Post by Proto »

PartDaddy wrote:rocketry, hmmm, I have a rather large rocket needing launched by someone...
If I ask REAL nice, could you bring an extra Maxx Build Plate with you. Mine is a bit... uhm... cratered
This Space for RENT --- PM me for info --- :roll: :lol:

My build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6981" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OG build thread - http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=1228" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Xenocrates wrote:If it's the PLA one from MRRF, it needs some serious rocket surgery first.
Or a couple gallons of acetone... :lol: :shock:
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

barry99705 wrote:
Xenocrates wrote:If it's the PLA one from MRRF, it needs some serious rocket surgery first.
Acetone doesn't touch PLA, and I was more concerned by the lack of a shock cord mount, motor mount, guide rail lugs, or pressure ports, not to mention that the structure while thicker than most body tubes, and stronger than almost any small rocket, lacks the strength that the fiberglass or carbon fiber wrapping gives to HPR's, and which is very much needed.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Xenocrates wrote:
barry99705 wrote:
Acetone doesn't touch PLA, and I was more concerned by the lack of a shock cord mount, motor mount, guide rail lugs, or pressure ports, not to mention that the structure while thicker than most body tubes, and stronger than almost any small rocket, lacks the strength that the fiberglass or carbon fiber wrapping gives to HPR's, and which is very much needed.
Pretty sure partdaddy prints in abs, but I could be wrong.
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

Not sure what Partdaddy himself prints in, but the Partdaddy prints in PLA, as he says here:
4. PLA is all I care to print with. It doesn't really shrink. Now, some filament manufacturers probably put a petroleum base colorant in their filaments. It's cheaper. The problem is that the petroleum base colorant shrinks, which = warping. My extruder design can extrude high temp. I've had it sit at 280C for a while. Doesn't matter. There's isn't teflon or linear. Just a smooth steel bore. HDPE and PP extrude well. A change might be needed to the screw and hot end to make it work right. We machined deeper grooves for the pellets for PLA because it's sticky and needed more input to feed better. While petroleum based plastics seemed to feed easier because they don't seem to act as sticky as PLA when melting. Haven't tried it, but a thermoplastic urethane elastomer (ninja flex like stuff) would probably extrude well. Nylon too. Your problem will be shrink, and will prevent you from using it. Like Taulman filaments, these exotic materials need to be a co-polymer blend to work. Just my opinion here. Shrink is a problem on this scale of printing. Even glass filled nylon shrinks too much, about 0.007 inch / inch. With glass filled nylon you'll shrink almost 3/16" over a 24" cross section. PLA is the magic stuff that allows it to work. If PLA didn't exist, I wouldn't have even bothered to make this machine.
Machines:
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001

Return to “The Lounge”