3d pdf files?

General hangout discussion area for other non-printing stuff
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

3d pdf files?

Post by Mac The Knife »

I didn't know, until yesterday, That you could save a 3d model as a 3d pdf file in Solidworks, or for that matter, that 3d pdf files existed. Does anyone know of any other modeling software that does this? They open with Adobe Acrobat Reader, so it's definitely useful for emailing to a client. I've attached one for an example.
Attachments
vortex tube.PDF
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 248 times
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: 3d pdf files?

Post by BenTheRighteous »

I don't know, but I'm interested if there's any way to slice it, either directly or by extracting the model from the PDF somehow.
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

I've been making 3d pdfs for several years. I use SimLab Soft Composer. However, I have been slowly moving in the WebGL direction lately.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I don't know if anything slices them, but it's a handy way to share files with a customer to let them view it without having to install special software. That's what I've used them for in the past. DesignSpark Mechanical exports them.
Jrjones
Printmaster!

Post by Jrjones »

Doesn't appear to work with Foxit Reader yet. I don't like Adobe Reader's interface and find it very slow to load large pdf files.
I prefer Inventer View or Edrawings for viewing 3d files on a PC that doesnt have CAD installed.
Mac The Knife
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Mac The Knife »

Jrjones wrote:Doesn't appear to work with Foxit Reader yet. I don't like Adobe Reader's interface and find it very slow to load large pdf files.
I prefer Inventer View or Edrawings for viewing 3d files on a PC that doesnt have CAD installed.
But if you need to send a model to a customer for review, if they don't have to install, or have to go through an IT department to install extra software, its a good thing.
R-Max V2
Eris
Folger Tech FT-5 R2
heathenx
Printmaster!

Post by heathenx »

That's the drawback with 3D PDFs. It's Adobe's technology which means that most other readers cannot display them. If someone has Adobe Reader installed (most do) then you're good to go.

Return to “The Lounge”