Changing position on heat bed

Talk about the Repetier Host software here (http://repetier.com)
ThatDirectorGuy
Printmaster!

Changing position on heat bed

Post by ThatDirectorGuy »

I am trying to change this print so the long neck lays on the print/heat bed to save on the need for support material. I don't understand how to do it. I am trying to rotate it but I can never get it there. Can someone assist and walk me through it. I would actually love to print this out through Matter Control since I am trying to do it in PLA for the first time after numerous ABS fails.

Much thanks.
Attachments
Vertical_Hopper.stl
(85.24 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Changing position on heat bed

Post by Eaglezsoar »

ThatDirectorGuy wrote:I am trying to change this print so the long neck lays on the print/heat bed to save on the need for support material. I don't understand how to do it. I am trying to rotate it but I can never get it there. Can someone assist and walk me through it. I would actually love to print this out through Matter Control since I am trying to do it in PLA for the first time after numerous ABS fails.

Much thanks.
There are several different ways to rotate an STL but one of the easiest ways that I have found is to load the STL into netfabb and use the right click on the object to rotate it the way you want it then save the file as another STL
with a different name.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
ThatDirectorGuy
Printmaster!

Post by ThatDirectorGuy »

I tried doing it in NetFab before I posted my question. I dont understand because when I try it in Repetier and netFabb (basic) I can't get it on the side I want it. The object is in a box and it wont reorientate the box so the long neck will sit flat on the print bed. I also can't seem to do a free rotate to accomplish this. Im on OSX version of these programs. I am either missing something really obvious or I dont know..
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

ThatDirectorGuy wrote:I tried doing it in NetFab before I posted my question. I dont understand because when I try it in Repetier and netFabb (basic) I can't get it on the side I want it. The object is in a box and it wont reorientate the box so the long neck will sit flat on the print bed. I also can't seem to do a free rotate to accomplish this. Im on OSX version of these programs. I am either missing something really obvious or I dont know..
I am not 100% certain but I think Cura also allows rotation of the object before slicing.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
RocketMagnet
Printmaster!

Post by RocketMagnet »

You've probably sorted this out by now but I had a look out of interest and the object was drawn at a 45 degree angle hence
why in Repetier changing X and Y Degrees under the Object placement tab [Rotation] icon caused it to spin around this plane
hence why it seemed to not orientate logically.

I imported it into Tinkercad and it was easy to reorient it, download as .stl and opened in Repetier in the correct orientation
(or whatever orientation you want to make printing easier).

On a side note my noob question is as follows:
Looking at the model I couldn't see any way to print this object easily in any orientation without any support even on the flat swan neck side
face down?

In my head I'd have to print the above object in a minimum of 2 parts or several if your not just cutting a top and bottom. That cylinder bulge
would make even the cut in half option difficult without making it flush to the rest of the object?
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

Try using -45 instead of 45. I've found that by placing a negative sign flips the way the part is rotated. Or you could try different versions of 45 degrees, like 135, 225, and 315. Make sure you rotate about the correct axis, and if you make a mistake, undo that last move. Making a series of mistakes will only make it harder to get back to the way you started with.
The BONE ZONE build thread.
RocketMagnet
Printmaster!

Post by RocketMagnet »

BONE wrote:Try using -45 instead of 45. I've found that by placing a negative sign flips the way the part is rotated. Or you could try different versions of 45 degrees, like 135, 225, and 315. Make sure you rotate about the correct axis, and if you make a mistake, undo that last move. Making a series of mistakes will only make it harder to get back to the way you started with.
I tried it last night but couldn't get it right but another look and within a minute I had one combination that works: X = 270, Y = 45, Z = -90.

Still it's easier getting it right in your modelling software and orientating it correctly for printing in the first place.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I can confirm for Eagle, that Yes Cura does let you rotate objects before slicing them.
BONE
Printmaster!

Post by BONE »

In Simplify3D, there is an arrange and center button to locate parts in the middle of the bed. Then lay the over at 45 degrees. The bed is circle, so rotation about the z-axis doesn't matter.

I just used the -45 vs 45 as an example. Agreed it is better to have the absolute zero of the part you are printing some where that makes sense. But when you get someone elses file, they maybe have exported out of an assembly and that is why the 0,0,0 is not where you want it. Used to get models from automotive customers and everything is modeled in car position, where 0,0,0 is the center of front bumper on the ground. When you get small part and you zoom to find it, good luck on small parts. Aerospace does the same thing, try that on a 777. Not fun.
The BONE ZONE build thread.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

The rotate buttons on MatterControl work rather nicely.

There is also a align to bed feature. And that is like "dropping" the part on to the print bed so that that side lays flat on the bed.
Attachments
AlignToBed.png
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “Repetier Host”