New to RAMBO a few questions to start.

The RAMBo board is finally here, and here's a place to talk about it!
Mithrendir
Plasticator

New to RAMBO a few questions to start.

Post by Mithrendir »

Hi all,

Thanks in advanced for the help.

I have been reading the RAMBO 1.3 specs and it looks like in addition to the XYZ and feed 1+2 stepper headers. It seems to have 3 other headers that need external drivers. My question is can you use all of them at once? or is it a choose one or the other? If i add external drivers that is. So can the board control 8 steppers with the right hardware?

I also noted that the Z axis has 2 headers is it possible to hook up a second stepper to it? I ask because I would like to have a "follower" that goes up and down with the Z stepper that holds the filament feeder. To solve the problem of the bowden tubes length with out putting the mass on the effector. I know its a strange question.
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: New to RAMBO a few questions to start.

Post by Nylocke »

1, Yes, if you wanted to you could. Not sure what your plans are for it? The firmware should be able to handle it, but you'd have the find the extra pins for the extra drivers and probably put in a 10A fuse to replace the 5A one for the motors and logic rail. Firmware should be fine, if I wanted I could tell my X3 Pro to run all 8 stepper drivers it has all at the same time.

2, Also a yes. The second header is for the dual Z printers based off the Prusa Mendel design. RAMPS and most other major boards have this.
Mithrendir
Plasticator

Post by Mithrendir »

Thank you,

I wanted to know because I want to prototype a large printer with a small frame first but use the same logic controller. I also wanted to know how many filaments in theory I could use with one head.
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

I am not an expert on the rambo but i think the extra z socket has the same output as the z socket. So if you attach a motor it will do exactly the same thing as the z tower motor.
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.
Earthbound
Printmaster!

Post by Earthbound »

The dual Z stepper connectors are just that - two connectors on the same output. Z is a single driver with two sets of terminals.
"Trust no quote from the Internet." - Abraham Lincoln
Mithrendir
Plasticator

Post by Mithrendir »

teoman wrote:I am not an expert on the rambo but i think the extra z socket has the same output as the z socket. So if you attach a motor it will do exactly the same thing as the z tower motor.

Right but if I reverse the coils the motor should go in the wrong/opposite direction. Unless I missed something(I haven't tried it...:/ )
Mithrendir
Plasticator

Post by Mithrendir »

Earthbound wrote:The dual Z stepper connectors are just that - two connectors on the same output. Z is a single driver with two sets of terminals.
That does Chang things a little. The max amps for the stepper are shared then right?
teoman
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by teoman »

Yes you could use it to power a motor that goes in the opposite direction.

As long as the motor is the same as the rostock max motors you should be good. If not you would have to dig in to the rambo manual to check the max output current.

You may also want to edit the firmware to increase (double) the current to that motor (pair).
When on mobile I am brief and may be perceived as an arsl.

Return to “RAMBo”