well... i blew up another board

The RAMBo board is finally here, and here's a place to talk about it!
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

well... i blew up another board

Post by bubbasnow »

was attempting to hook up my second extruder and now e0 and e1 wont work. x,y,z are all still working and the machine hommies ok.

should i send the board in to get repaired OR go ahead and replace it with a x3?

what is the going rate for a repair now-a-days?
Flateric
Printmaster!

Re: well... i blew up another board

Post by Flateric »

I've been there my friend....more than twice, lol.

Honestly....love my azteeg x3, be sure to get a genuine one however, had a friend try one of the none officials and well....um....you get what you pay for.

While your at it you might as well get some of the upgraded drivers that run cooler and allow 32x microstepper settings.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I thought I blew a board last month, sent it to Ultimachines and they e-mailed to say the board was fine. I have no idea what was up but when I got the board back, it was indeed fine.

Since you were confining 2 extruders, can you go back to your single extruder firmware, reset and try it? It might work.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the 2nd of 4 Kraken hot ends working. I have everything configured (and I had 2 hot ends working last year with 2 SeeMeCNC hot ends) and I get legitimate temp readings on hot end 0 and hot end 1 but no heat. I tried from the LCD too and same result. The hot bed works fine. I did configure RH for 2 extruders and went through Configuration.h and pins.h but haven't found anything yet. I am running RH from a Mac but that does not seem to be the problem since I can't get heat from the LCD either. Must be something stupid.

Once I have the 2 extruders working on RAMBo I am moving everything to my Azteeg X3 Pro. It is a very nice board. I have it ready to go with single extruder repetier firmware downloaded. The Viki LCD is nice too. I did get the new drivers - 8 of them - that do 32 micro steps. I'm curious to see that in action.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

mhackney wrote:I thought I blew a board last month, sent it to Ultimachines and they e-mailed to say the board was fine. I have no idea what was up but when I got the board back, it was indeed fine.

Since you were confining 2 extruders, can you go back to your single extruder firmware, reset and try it? It might work.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to get the 2nd of 4 Kraken hot ends working. I have everything configured (and I had 2 hot ends working last year with 2 SeeMeCNC hot ends) and I get legitimate temp readings on hot end 0 and hot end 1 but no heat. I tried from the LCD too and same result. The hot bed works fine. I did configure RH for 2 extruders and went through Configuration.h and pins.h but haven't found anything yet. I am running RH from a Mac but that does not seem to be the problem since I can't get heat from the LCD either. Must be something stupid.

Once I have the 2 extruders working on RAMBo I am moving everything to my Azteeg X3 Pro. It is a very nice board. I have it ready to go with single extruder repetier firmware downloaded. The Viki LCD is nice too. I did get the new drivers - 8 of them - that do 32 micro steps. I'm curious to see that in action.

yea tried the working firmware and i cant get the damn e0 to push the stepper :(

at least i know my wiring is good because i can bring the second hotend up to temp when i switch the assemblies.
Tinyhead
Printmaster!

Post by Tinyhead »

Just out of personal curiosity, what do you think might have killed the board if all the wiring was correct?
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

electrostatic discharge most likely... but ive never met a piece of hardware has sensitive as this little mofo
enggmaug
Printmaster!

Post by enggmaug »

That's good to know. As I'm about to try driving 4 extruders with the Rambo, I'll take all precautions regarding static discharges.
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

i am an idiot.. disregard this.

i must have goofed somewhere, i loaded the newest firmware after clearing the eeprom and i now have movement in both e0 and e1... im almost dualextruding
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bubbasnow wrote:i am an idiot.. disregard this.

i must have goofed somewhere, i loaded the newest firmware after clearing the eeprom and i now have movement in both e0 and e1... im almost dualextruding
I promise, I will disregard the fact that you are an idiot :D
I am glad that the board was not defective after all.
cjdavis618
Printmaster!

Post by cjdavis618 »

I did blow one after my Cura adventure.

Did I see somewhere that they will repair them if sent in for a fee? I don't see it on the site.

I have a thermistor input out, Hotend eternally stuck on, LCD output fried and then the board locks up if I try to print from USB after about an hour.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

bubbasnow wrote:electrostatic discharge most likely... but ive never met a piece of hardware has sensitive as this little mofo
When I worked in a computer repair shop at our SUB in college, my friend looked over next to me, said 'Is that the last video card we have?' reached out and pointed at a video card I was about to install and we watched a spark leap over half an inch to the back of the card. It was last one we had. Short of that time, I don't think I've knowingly fried anything with static.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Ultimachine will indeed repair a blown RAMBo. You need to contact them in email. It's a great service - I know, I've used it several times!

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mhackney wrote:Ultimachine will indeed repair a blown RAMBo. You need to contact them in email. It's a great service - I know, I've used it several times!
Can you share with us the average cost of the repair service?
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

It depends on what the problem is I think. Also, the policy may be different now than when I sent mine in. Mine didn't cost anything! But they may be charging now. Best to contact them directly with your problem.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “RAMBo”