SolidWorks Models and Slicing Software

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
rehoward
Plasticator

SolidWorks Models and Slicing Software

Post by rehoward »

Complete newbie here.

I just ordered a Max v2 with the metal hot end upgrade and am really excited about getting it going. I have done SolidWorks modeling for years and wonder what the best way is to get my virtual models into the Rostock for creation. I know that the SW models are typically saved as an .stl file for this and then run through some sort of slicer to generate G code for the printer. Is there a favorite slicer or method of doing this? Is the slicer installed into the Rockstock or my desktop computer? Is there a benefit to wiring the PC directly into the Rostock or does a memory stick work just as well? Thanks for the help.

Randy
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: SolidWorks Models and Slicing Software

Post by geneb »

The software you'll be using with your printer (at first anyway) is called Matter Control. Download the Rostock MAX v2 User Guide and you'll be enlightened on that. :D

SolidWorks outputs great STL files. HOWEVER, you need to make sure that the model you're saving as STL was created in millimeters, otherwise you'll end with some really wild scaling issues. All things in 3D Printlandia are in millimeters. (Us merkins really do need to put on our big boy/girl underoos and start working in SI for everything.. :D )

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

You'll also want to look at the stl options as there are a couple tolerance options you'll want to play with, you can make some insanely dense meshes, or really blocky if you want.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

For some info on how to make a good mesh: http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2016/ ... nocad.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I did this for RhinoCAD but the videos I link to and basic information is applicable to any application.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
rehoward
Plasticator

Post by rehoward »

Is RhinoCAD different from Rhino? I have a copy of Rhino. Never heard of RhinoCAD.
rehoward
Plasticator

Post by rehoward »

Great info mhackney!

Randy
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Same thing, I usually just call it RhinoCAD to be clear since most people would know what I was talking about if I said Rhinoceros or Rhino.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler

Return to “Rostock MAX”