3W, 4W, 7W hot end resistors...

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
djdelorie
Plasticator

3W, 4W, 7W hot end resistors...

Post by djdelorie »

I'm replacing the heater resistors in my hotend, and noticed that there's plenty of space in the pre-drilled holes. I can fit a 4W or even 7W 6.8 ohm resistor in there. Is there any advantage to sticking with a smaller (physically) 3W resistor? Any advice on getting the heat efficiently out of the smaller resistor and into the hot end? The mismatched radius seems like it has very little contact with the aluminum.
DerStig
Printmaster!

Re: 3W, 4W, 7W hot end resistors...

Post by DerStig »

djdelorie wrote:I'm replacing the heater resistors in my hotend, and noticed that there's plenty of space in the pre-drilled holes. I can fit a 4W or even 7W 6.8 ohm resistor in there. Is there any advantage to sticking with a smaller (physically) 3W resistor? Any advice on getting the heat efficiently out of the smaller resistor and into the hot end? The mismatched radius seems like it has very little contact with the aluminum.

Do yourself a favor and at least get a ceramic heater cartridge. Better yet just replace the hot end with a E3dv6
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If you increase the wattage of the resistor, it won't act as a heater any longer. :)

I would recommend going with a cartridge though - they're very effective. Toss in a threaded thermistor while you're at it. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Eric
Printmaster!

Post by Eric »

geneb wrote:If you increase the wattage of the resistor, it won't act as a heater any longer. :)

I would recommend going with a cartridge though - they're very effective. Toss in a threaded thermistor while you're at it. :)

g.
That's not right. The resistance determines how much heat is generated in the circuit. The power rating is how many watts (in the form of heat) that resistor package is expected to dissapate in open air without failing. However, potting in a heatsink can greatly increase the effective heat dissapation and wattage rating, which is why the 3W resistor works at hot-end power levels. If you want to select a different resistor, pay particular attention to the temperature ratings. Generally only some of the wirewound resistors are suitable for hotend temperatures.

I agree with the advice to get a heater cartridge instead.
djdelorie
Plasticator

Post by djdelorie »

An E3D is on the shopping list, but $2 in resistors gets me up and running again. I guess my question was... it seems a bigger wattage resistor is a snugger fit, and would transfer heat better, but a smaller wattage resistor concentrates the heat in one spot (if you pot it right). Which is preferred? Did SeeMeCNC choose a smaller diameter resistor on purpose?
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

I think it was chosen a while ago, back when they still recommended packing aluminum foil around it. I would think that a larger resistor would be better though, as you have less insulation from the RTV. (lower wattages may also have been cheaper)
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

If you are still using resistors, I have an Edsel automobile I could sell you. :)
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Eaglezsoar wrote:If you are still using resistors, I have an Edsel automobile I could sell you. :)

If you really have an Edsel for sale, I really have some money.

gary
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

nitewatchman wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:If you are still using resistors, I have an Edsel automobile I could sell you. :)

gary
10 to pick from here with a broad range of prices
http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/?ma ... &year_max=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

nitewatchman wrote:

gary
Just kidding, Gary.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
nitewatchman
Printmaster!

Post by nitewatchman »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
nitewatchman wrote:

gary
Just kidding, Gary.

You never know when it may be a Shelby in a barn.

Return to “Rostock MAX”