Rostock Max's Last Breaths?

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
inventabuild
Printmaster!

Rostock Max's Last Breaths?

Post by inventabuild »

As if my Rostock Max hasn't misbehaved enough, now when I flip the on switch it stays on for a couple seconds, then completely turns off and dies. I jiggle all the wires while the switch is still flipped to on to see if I can find a short somewhere, but there's no signs of life...nothing. I can turn it off then on again for a few seconds then it dies again.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Rostock Max's Last Breaths?

Post by Polygonhell »

If it turns off completely, it's the PSU, either it's faulty or you have a short somewhere and it's tripping the protection circuit.
Disconnect the power into the RAMBO board, turn it on, if the PSU stays on (you should be able to see/hear the fan) then turn it off, and test it with power to each of the circuits in the board one at a time.
inventabuild
Printmaster!

Post by inventabuild »

Polygonhell, thanks for your help. I found out the printer only turns off when I turn the hotend on. I can turn the bed on and move the carriage without problem from Repetier, but as soon as I turn on the hotend it dies. Instead of troubleshooting the hotend short I decided to sell my Rostock Max because it requires more tweaking and babysitting than I have time for.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Part of me wishes sincerely that I'd come to the same decision a full year ago. These printers can be an enormous time sink with all the stuff that can go wrong. I'm hanging in there, but I have a delta from another manufacturer coming in a month or two. If it has fewer problems than the Max, it'll become my main printer. If not, I hate to say it but the next step is to get one of those boring Cartesian printers. Yuck!

Return to “Rostock MAX”