Moving and travel with a Rostock Max

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Moving and travel with a Rostock Max

Post by Lasivian »

Has anyone outfitted one of these printers for easy travel?

I am trying to figure out an easy way to move it for travel. Mainly for setups and shows, etc. For moving my house I would just crate it.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am talking more the best way to "carry" it. the uprights do not seem to be a good way to grasp and lift it, etc.
Last edited by Lasivian on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Re: Moving and travel with a Rostock Max

Post by Captain Starfish »

Passenger seat of your car? Or are you looking at flying it?
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I take my machine to a Makerspace almost every week. It's much easier with the EZStruder setup than with the original side mounted Steve's extruder.

When it's hot after a print, you can push the lever of the extruder and pull the filament out of it. Then remove the spool (so it's no top-heavy) and lay it flat in the back seat of a car.

If you've got Steve's original extruder, retract 80-100 mm at the end of a print, then pop off one of the Bowden tube ends and pull the filament out. The spool holder / extruder assembly should be on a removable plug (like a cheap Molex from Radio Shack) so that you can separate the main machine from the "sidecar" for transport.
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Post by Lasivian »

Jimustanguitar wrote:I take my machine to a Makerspace almost every week. It's much easier with the EZStruder setup than with the original side mounted Steve's extruder.

When it's hot after a print, you can push the lever of the extruder and pull the filament out of it. Then remove the spool (so it's no top-heavy) and lay it flat in the back seat of a car.

If you've got Steve's original extruder, retract 80-100 mm at the end of a print, then pop off one of the Bowden tube ends and pull the filament out. The spool holder / extruder assembly should be on a removable plug (like a cheap Molex from Radio Shack) so that you can separate the main machine from the "sidecar" for transport.
Curious where you grab it to lift. Or do you use 2 people?

Thanks!
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

I *try to carry it by the base, but inevitably you end up holding it by the aluminum extrusions when you're opening doors. The lower the better. In a perfect world, the printer would never "know" that it wasn't on a table still.

I would definitely avoid putting force on the top of the machine, that's where it's the weakest and tends to loosen up after repeated transports.
JohnStack
Printmaster!

Post by JohnStack »

When Partsdaddy gets is big-assed Rostockus Maximus Prime done, he can print out a screw-in enclosure with handles. I've tried like hell not to touch anything but the base but you're right, it doesn't always work. So glad I'm working on an all-metal unit - still...just taking me four times as long to get it going.
Technologist, Maker, Willing to question conventional logic
http://dropc.am/p/KhiI1a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Post by Lasivian »

I am beginning to think of making some type of reinforcing plexiglass that both keeps out peoples fingers and strengthens the top to the bottom.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

When I move mine from place to place, I invert the hot end - move the Cheapskates down to the base one at a time. The arms then form a pyramid of sorts with the the hot end on top. Guarantees the nozzle won't strike the bed.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Lasivian
Printmaster!

Post by Lasivian »

geneb wrote:When I move mine from place to place, I invert the hot end - move the Cheapskates down to the base one at a time. The arms then form a pyramid of sorts with the the hot end on top. Guarantees the nozzle won't strike the bed.

g.
I thought of designing a "nozzle-holder" to protect it and then securing the cheapskates with bongo ties.
Jimustanguitar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Jimustanguitar »

Lasivian wrote:
geneb wrote:When I move mine from place to place, I invert the hot end - move the Cheapskates down to the base one at a time. The arms then form a pyramid of sorts with the the hot end on top. Guarantees the nozzle won't strike the bed.

g.
I thought of designing a "nozzle-holder" to protect it and then securing the cheapskates with bongo ties.
I had some of those reusable zip ties with release tabs that I strapped around the aluminum extrusions as transport locks for a while. Unless you're doing the air-struder thing, I found that there's just not enough inertia to make it matter. I'd strap everything down in a moving van, but in my own car across town I haven't had any issues.

Return to “Rostock MAX”