Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Re: Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

Post by dpmacri »

I decided to upgrade a couple days ago because I had been having some problems with prints not finishing (number of threads around here). However, after upgrading, I couldn't seem to control the speed of printing. Everything was going way faster than I wanted and things weren't sticking to the bed. Playing with the speed slider didn't seem to have any impact. Plus, I'm not sure what happened, but I have two extruders on my RMax. However, when I installed the 0.91 firmware I still told it I only had one (because I just wanted to test out with one). So I started printing an object and noticed it wasn't sticking very well but then I also noticed a bunch of smoke coming out of the 2nd extruder! It shouldn't have even had any power applied to it, but when I used my thermocouple (after shutting the whole printer down), the temperature inside the hot-end was over 500C!!! Yikes!

Anyway, I rolled back to 0.83 for the time being but am curious if anyone else has seen the speed issue and if anyone else has used 0.91 with a dual-extruder setup?
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

dpmacri wrote:I still told it I only had one (because I just wanted to test out with one). So I started printing an object and noticed it wasn't sticking very well but then I also noticed a bunch of smoke coming out of the 2nd extruder! It shouldn't have even had any power applied to it, but when I used my thermocouple (after shutting the whole printer down), the temperature inside the hot-end was over 500C!!! Yikes!
You ALWAYS need to tell the firmware what hardware you have to connected and at which pin - or disconnect the hardware. If you're not telling it about the 2nd extruder, the pin may float and not be controlled by the firmware. Which can lead to what you've already experienced....
altarke
Printmaster!

Post by altarke »

In configuration.h you should see the following lines, changing them to the opposite value will change the direction. (E0 is extruder)
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true
Thanks I managed to figure the X,Y, and Z dir out- but for the life of me I can seem to find the invert E0_DIR in the configuration.h. I run the search and no luck....

Any Ideas
Altarke

Rostock MAX V1 Printer
altarke
Printmaster!

Post by altarke »

In configuration.h you should see the following lines, changing them to the opposite value will change the direction. (E0 is extruder)
OK I found it
Altarke

Rostock MAX V1 Printer
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

altarke wrote:
OK I found it
It looks as though they had to change things again it is called:
#define EXT0_INVERSE true
If you change this to false I believe that the rotation should change.

Let me know when everything works again.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

I am really liking the new firmware. I re-aligned and squared everything. None of the towers were more than a degree off so I left those settings alone, then measured the distance to the towers which varied a bit with the worst being 1.7mm further out. Put all the settings right for my build, and I like the new default jerk is at 36. Still have a bit of work on my printer radius to get the extremes of the build area right, but other than that it has been printing fantastic with the geometry adjustments. Made me giggle like a schoolgirl the first time I did a test cube. The sides were identical in their measurements.

Edit & update: Corrected words.. Typed this on my phone at a laundrymat... *sigh* the errors... Still, something is a bit off that I haven't put my finger on just yet. Maybe I'll get it narrowed down when I get the radius spot on.
Last edited by lordbinky on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Post by truenorthtrader »

OH OH! I had a print quit on me twice tonight in different spots!
:c :( :?

Now what. :( It was going perfectly now it's stopping with heat still on again.
altarke
Printmaster!

Post by altarke »

truenorthtrader wrote:OH OH! I had a print quit on me twice tonight in different spots!
:c :( :?

Now what. :( It was going perfectly now it's stopping with heat still on again.
Try printing from the SD Card - just to eliminate the SW side of things...
Altarke

Rostock MAX V1 Printer
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

I bought the first set of Rostocks didn't have the sd card option

I just made an order for the ezstruder and J-head mound last week.
The 0.91 update was supposed to stop this so I didn't.
altarke
Printmaster!

Post by altarke »

truenorthtrader wrote:I bought the first set of Rostocks didn't have the sd card option

I just made an order for the ezstruder and J-head mound last week.
The 0.91 update was supposed to stop this so I didn't.

Perhaps using a friend's laptop is in order...
Altarke

Rostock MAX V1 Printer
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Actually you made me realize, I just bought a new 3.2ghz Quad core computer actually it's my first print from it.

I migrated all my data so it's like the previous computer where I left off, but I'm wondering if that's the issue.
I'l try reinstalling the 0.91 like I did originally hopefully that will help
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

truenorthtrader wrote:Actually you made me realize, I just bought a new 3.2ghz Quad core computer actually it's my first print from it.

I migrated all my data so it's like the previous computer where I left off, but I'm wondering if that's the issue.
I'l try reinstalling the 0.91 like I did originally hopefully that will help
Check the power settings in control panel on the new computer.
It is probably set to turn off drives, hibernate, etc. You should turn off the power saving settings.
itilguru
Plasticator

Post by itilguru »

Just in case it's not just me, I ran into problems when compiling this new firmware version using the Arduino 1.0.5 GUI instead of the new Arduino Builder (which crashes on me for some reason).

For my older Rostock MAX with the previous generation RAMB0 board with only 1/8 microsteps, I customized the settings. I turned of FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL, and it broke compilation.

To fix it, I had to modify a line in Commands.cpp: change the line "#if FEATURE_Z_PROBE" to "#if FEATURE_AUTOLEVEL && FEATURE_Z_PROBE"

It's already like that in Printer.cpp, so I copied it. Technically it could be the other way around because of the looping I see elsewhere, but I figured a direct copy was cleaner. If you have autolevel and z_probe set to anything other than both true or both false, let me know if it breaks anything, and try reversing the order in which they appear on the line (before the &&).
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Yes for some reason the option to sleep when possible was on
Turned off everything except screen going black and my print has been going since 1pm.
Whew!
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

truenorthtrader wrote:Yes for some reason the option to sleep when possible was on
Turned off everything except screen going black and my print has been going since 1pm.
Whew!
Those power settings have ruined many a print for many people. Glad you found it!
xnaron
Printmaster!

Post by xnaron »

Captain Starfish wrote:Grrr.

Just did the upgrade, recalibrated (apart from z-=5.0mm, nothing had changed), looking good.

Except now I'm having comms issues. Hit the "extrude" button on the Mac Repetier Host a few times, used to queue 'em up beautifully on 0.83, post-0.91 I get a few in and the whole command queue blocks up.

Still getting temperature updates, just can't send any more commands. Stuffing about with the "Use Ping-pong" and "Sends OK after error" don't change a thing :(

On thing that can cause this is if the baudrate set in repetier host for the printer does not match the baudrate set in configuration.h.

eg: //#define BAUDRATE 76800
//#define BAUDRATE 115200
#define BAUDRATE 250000
The Xnaron Project http://xnaron.com find me also on youtube http://youtube.com/xnaron

3D Printers: Behemoth, Xnaron Prusa Bumblebee, Xnaron Prusa, Jolly Roger, MG Prusa, Rostock Max

Find me on IRC: #reprap, #seemecnc
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

After installing one more part of the wiring tonight, I should be getting to the software portion.

Just wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade the firmware immediately, or should I Run Stock first?

Thanks!

Chris
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

neurascenic wrote:After installing one more part of the wiring tonight, I should be getting to the software portion.

Just wondering if I should go ahead and upgrade the firmware immediately, or should I Run Stock first?

Thanks!

Chris
To me it makes sense to do the upgrade then do all the calibration required rather than start with the old version, calibrate everything then upgrade to 0.91.
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

haven't seen it posted anywhere, and I just made the switch to .91, but horizontal radius = printer radius - carriage offset - extruder offset, correct?

It's working but definitely need to make some tweaks to it - not a fan of some of the "wait for temp" features and the like...
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
MSURunner
Printmaster!

Post by MSURunner »

cope413 wrote:haven't seen it posted anywhere, and I just made the switch to .91, but horizontal radius = printer radius - carriage offset - extruder offset, correct?

It's working but definitely need to make some tweaks to it - not a fan of some of the "wait for temp" features and the like...

Yes, it was a calculated variable in the older versions (still is calculated in the configuration.h file of .91) under the name of PRINTER_RADIUS, but as it is now in the EEPROM under HORIZONTAL_RADIUS, you need to make sure to do the math and correct the value associated with your particular build.
UnLtdSoul
Plasticator

Post by UnLtdSoul »

Can someone help me out calibrating a new machine. I got a new Rostock and I installed 0.91 (not .83 that Gene's manual goes by).

I calibrated the X Y Z adjusting the PRINTER_RADIUS and got the center and all calibrated perfectly with the EEPROM_MODE = 0.

When I was done I set EEPROM_MODE back to 1 and the machine is no longer calibrated.

I made sure that the X Y and Z MAX_LEN are the same in EEPROM and configuration.h So, what else do i need to do?

I see here something about the HORIZONTAL_RADIUS needs to be set ??? But not sure how. Can someone help so i can try to make the first print on this? Thanks
UnLtdSoul
Plasticator

Post by UnLtdSoul »

Got It. I Hope. I adjusted the HORIZONTAL_RADIUS (wound up at 129.5) and readjusted xyz and all axis and center are again perfect. But, is that right? Do we now skip the PRINTER_RADIUS in configuration.h and just do the calibration using the EEPROM HORIZONTAL Radius ? Makes it a lot easier if that is so, and may make it easier to attach a Z-sensor and let the machine calculate the numbers for us :) Maybe after we set the XYZ stops once to get them in set, then let a sensor calc the rest ?
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

I did mine according to the manual. and I got it to work. Gosh, unless I forgot to set the eeprom back.

I will have to check that tonight when I get back. I know I went back twice to edit the .h file. I thought I was out of calibration because I head crashed on my very first attempt. Once I fixed that, I was not calibrated. thought it was the crash, but it could be this "HORIZOTAL_RADIUS"

hmmm
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Post by neurascenic »

So, what should the PRINTER_RADIUS/HORIZONTAL_RADIUS be if there were no need to adjust?

Just wondering if the amount of adjustment would be a good indication of how well it would be put together?

I suppose, it would be the number that came stock, but I already modified it, and don't recall.

How far off is far off enough to say, hey, I need to rebuild it? (Pretend there is no room for subjectivity)

what kind of build error introduces this RADIUS?

Does the Radius stay constant as you travel up the tower? if not, is there a way to adjust for that too?

Of course, the best would be to build it so there does not need to be an adjustment,
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

not sure if this has been said but there are two config settings that need to be changed to do the 300C install of the E3D hot end.
MAX_DEFECT_TEMPERATURE
MAXTEMP

Return to “Rostock MAX”