Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

Post by geneb »

FYI, when you're calibrating the machine against the 0.91 firmware, check the new appendix (C) in the latest build manual.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

installed Mhackney config.h file (thanks a bunch) G28 sends the motors up about 25mm then they stop. when it finally hits the end stops y stays put x and z go up and down a few times then race towards the bottom..... i think the endstops are wrong, will have to run m19 and see if it gives an L or an H. wanted to make sure they should be normally open..

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I did have a situation last week where I thought I blew the driver on my RAMBo mucking around putting a heatsink for the extruder. The symptoms were odd like that. Over night I had a revelation - check the EEPROM. Sure enough, my EEPROM had garbled settings, some correct, some incorrect. So I cleared it with the utility and uploaded a fresh copy of .91.

Did you clear the EEPROM before uploading .91?

If so, then it sounds more like a wiring issue. Was your machine working properly before upgrading to .91? Did you move the RAMBo or do any rewiring or disconnect any connectors?

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Maco
Plasticator

Post by Maco »

Hi Im having also stranger behavior, sometimes the extruder dont extrude, and when i configure the model to use brim it happens that appears isnt computed, the printer goes straight to print the part an leave the space of the brim so instantly failed print, anyone experience something similar?, i will instal a fan in the rambo board, just a question the fan should be pointing the air to the rambo or the opposite?

Thanks
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I have the air blowing to the RAMBo. There is enough space between the partitions to allow the air to escape out the other side.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

In addition to the fan, I also like to install heatsinks on the driver chips like these: http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-Aluminum-C ... =heatsinks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not absolutely necessary, but I think they help to dissipate the heat. Still need the fan.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Yes, but be VERY CAREFUL and make sure they do not short on other components. There is not a lot of clearance and I thought I had blown my driver when I attempted to install the heat sink.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

I had to invert the logic on 2 of the end stops..... not sure why they are all working and normally open. now the G28 worked. currently doing pid autotune:)

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

bdjohns1 wrote: Second time, I decided to leave the bed at 70C so it wasn't trying to pull at 100% power all the time. Made it through the bed clips and the hot end mount, but I also had some spacers printing - it died a few mm shy of their final height. Interestingly, when I power-cycled it, the run-time and filament counters had never updated from the prior print. Wondering if I've got some EEPROM issues? I'm guessing that the board came pre-loaded with the older version, although one of the very first things I did after power up checks was do the 0.91 upgrade.

Plan #1: flush the EEPROM and reload it tonight.
Plan #2: ordered a 24V power supply and DC/DC SSR to run the bed so I can get as hot as I want without stressing the other power supply.
Following up to myself, I don't think it's an EEPROM issue - it's an SD read issue. This time, I baby-sat the job, and it died with "SD Read Error" on the LCD. Tried a known-good SD card (16GB Sandisk) instead of the one that came with the printer. Still a problem, but at a different spot in the job. Ran the job from my computer, no problems at all.

Fortunately, I have a spare Raspberry Pi lying around, so I just loaded Octoprint onto it this morning.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Had a similar issue a week or so ago - first attempt at printing from SD, just stalled halfway through. Switched it all off and walked away before I had an attack of cranky and something got broken.

Next morning came back, powered up and it just locked on the main page, no response to the knob. Tried re-powering a couple times, nope. Pulled the SD card, all happy and ready to go. Put the SD card back in and ran a full print without a hitch.

Maybe just the way the SD card was sitting in the socket was a little off?
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Could be.

I'm getting a little annoyed now. Ran another job tonight (sent from my RasPi over Octoprint), and it died about 5 layers from being done (close enough the piece is usable). The only thing I saw on Octoprint was that it kept re-trying a line of G-code over and over.

Thermal issue? I wasn't overstressing anything else - printing PLA on blue tape at 40C, so the bed wasn't drawing much juice.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Have you installed that fan yet?
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Have you installed that fan yet?
Me? I hadn't planned on it until I saw in the RostockMax collection on thingiverse that someone had made a fan mount to stick in the electronics bay door. I think I've got an 80mm fan or two lying around - might slap one in tomorrow.
wildideas1
Printmaster!

Post by wildideas1 »

Ugh!!! mega weird spent time on ph with Mhackney end of last week on the reversed motor wire and just now am calibration via Appendix C WHAT IN THE WORLD would have printer go from a height of 358.1 build down 90 to 268.1 i only upgraded to 090 i triple checked everything this morning and NO i didn't shorten my towers in frustration to fit in in the box. ( joking).

any ideas anyone, this one has me pulling what hair i have left out.

Ian
wildideas1
Printmaster!

Post by wildideas1 »

just re measured with a different tape and i get 363mm but if i put that into the printer it thinks it is off Plus 90mm what gives.?????
bdjohns1
Printmaster!

Post by bdjohns1 »

Looks like repetier just pushed 0.91.5 to their repo.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

bdjohns1 wrote:Looks like repetier just pushed 0.91.5 to their repo.
This is their changelog.txt for 0.91.5
Version 0.91.5 21-02-2014
Delta version on due working.
More delta corrections.
Limit z probing retest height.
Fixed z-probing bug for large deltas (rounding errors).
Limit print area for deltas to a cylinder.
More boards like RAMPS-FD.
Some bug fixes.
Cleveralias
Printmaster!

Post by Cleveralias »

wildideas1 wrote:just re measured with a different tape and i get 363mm but if i put that into the printer it thinks it is off Plus 90mm what gives.?????
Are you off by the same or a different amount at the base of the towers vs the center of the bed? I would first check that you have the correct number of teeth for your pulleys set in configuration.h. That's the most likely way you'd end up with the machine covering too much/little distance.
wildideas1
Printmaster!

Post by wildideas1 »

was running .080 all fine just wanted upgrade not headache cant seem to understand the 90mm loss.
HELP

Ian
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If you were running 0.80 before, you MAY have a RAMBo v1.0, which did NOT have 16th stepping drives, only 8th stepping. Also, you MAY have the older style drive gears. Both of those factors will conspire to screw up your Z height measurements.

g.
Delta Power!
wildideas1
Printmaster!

Post by wildideas1 »

John Oly to the rescue, just had quick PH call and turns out that i loaded mhackneys 091 and he is using the 15 tooth drives i am using the 20tooth drives and newer rambo in which my steps per mm were 160 something and needed to be 80 we are now at 358.95 got 89mm back..

Geneb?? when calibrating will calibrating with bed at 50 and 190 head as in appendix C be the same for one running ABS vs PLA i have never run pla and i see everyone running no heat with paper or PEt or window tint. ? if bead heat allows ever so convex/ concave and w/PLA no heat will that not change the calibration settings??

Ian
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I'm glad you got that straightened out - I suspected you had a gear issue. :)

Ian, there's two things going on here - you've got "delta calibration" and "setting the z height". Delta calibration can be done cold because you're trammeling the platform - that is to say you're ensuring that it's travel is perfectly parallel with the build platform no matter what location it goes to.

The Z height setting is done at operating temperature because both the hot end and the glass expands. 190/50 is a good comprimise that will give you a good setting for both ABS and PLA.

I don't know what the expansion difference would be if you set the Z height against say 215/90, but I don't think it would be significant enough to worry about.

Because the build glass is Borosilicate, I would be very surprised if you were able to detect any convex or concave distortion due to heating - it's generally a very stable material.

g.
Delta Power!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

wildideas1 wrote:John Oly to the rescue, just had quick PH call and turns out that i loaded mhackneys 091 and he is using the 15 tooth drives i am using the 20tooth drives and newer rambo in which my steps per mm were 160 something and needed to be 80 we are now at 358.95 got 89mm back..

Geneb?? when calibrating will calibrating with bed at 50 and 190 head as in appendix C be the same for one running ABS vs PLA i have never run pla and i see everyone running no heat with paper or PEt or window tint. ? if bead heat allows ever so convex/ concave and w/PLA no heat will that not change the calibration settings??

Ian
Ian, I think all of the Configuration.h files I've posted (at least for .91) have had comments added that are easily identified that point out exactly these sorts of differences. I tried to highlight gear differences, RAMBo micro step differences, extruder differences, etc. and even tell you what needs to be done. There are a few base "stock" configurations out there!

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I just wanted to check to make sure I wasn't having an elderly moment! The Config file I posted to this thread here has everything commented. I HIGHLY recommend reading through just to get a feel for where things are different on a Rostock and what some of the differences in Rostocks are.

cheers,
Michael

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
aehM_Key
Printmaster!

Post by aehM_Key »

@johnoly99:
You have in the Configuration.h
AX_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 9000
...yz..
and
MAX_TRAVEL_ACCELERATION_UNITS_PER_SQ_SECOND_X 3000
..yz..

Are you running your machine really at those high accelerations? Why travel moves with less acceleration then print moves? (I would do it the other way around)
Or do you have something else in the EEPROM?

@all: What do you have as acceleration?

Thanks!

MK

Return to “Rostock MAX”