Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

Post by johnoly99 »

Hey all,

After finishing up the ORION update, I grabbed a MAX and set it up with the new firmware. The two machines are nearly identical, well, pretty much just update the delta configs and they're exactly alike. So, I've just created a new repo for the Rostock MAX 091 branch that we'll start shipping with officially now. If anyone would like to see if there's any issues with it, let me know. Also, the massive LCD menu update is applied to the rostock as well. So, it may take a little getting used to, but I think you'll like the simplified version better.

Here's the link

https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some things to note, first thing you need to do when you are ready to update is open arduino, then go to file>examples>eeprom>eeprom_clear and upload that little sketch first. That erases ALL eeprom values from any leftover firmware, so you know you are starting with a good clean fresh install. Other than that, make sure to recalibrate your Z and your towers, and you should be good to go! It's much smoother again, and i havn't been able to produce any of the stalled print issues that we've seen in the past, so i think that bug is now officially DOA, we hope :D

John
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

Post by Eaglezsoar »

johnoly99 wrote:Hey all,

After finishing up the ORION update, I grabbed a MAX and set it up with the new firmware. The two machines are nearly identical, well, pretty much just update the delta configs and they're exactly alike. So, I've just created a new repo for the Rostock MAX 091 branch that we'll start shipping with officially now. If anyone would like to see if there's any issues with it, let me know. Also, the massive LCD menu update is applied to the rostock as well. So, it may take a little getting used to, but I think you'll like the simplified version better.

Here's the link

https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John
THANK YOU!
truenorthtrader
Printmaster!

Post by truenorthtrader »

YEEEE HAAAAWWW!!!! Thank you all so much! :D

I recalibrated and reversed the extruded motor setting and it's printing a print that always
stopped on me. Hopefully it works this now!

Motors sound much smoother now too, working great so far!
Happy Day! :D
Last edited by truenorthtrader on Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

johnoly99 wrote:
Some things to note, first thing you need to do when you are ready to update is open arduino, then go to file>examples>eeprom>eeprom_clear and upload that little sketch first. That erases ALL eeprom values from any leftover firmware, so you know you are starting with a good clean fresh install.
It would be a good idea to take screen shots of your config so you can 1) go back if you need to and 2) have other values for your particular Rostoclk Max that might not be the most current. For example, I have 15 tooth pulleys on mine, not the 20 tooth that are shipping now. This affects steps-per.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

truenorthtrader wrote:YEEEE HAAAAWWW!!!! Thank you all so much! :D

I recalibrated and reversed the extruded motor setting and it's printing a print that always
stopped on me. Hopefully it works this now!

Motors sound much smoother now too, working great so far!
Happy Day! :D
We don't have to be bench warmers anymore! Good luck to you on your transition.
And I must agree to one thing you said: YEEEE HAAAAWWW!!!!
Av8r RC
Printmaster!

Post by Av8r RC »

Just updated my firmware from 0.81.

Everything seems to be working fine but I have an issue with my extruder. I can extrude just fine but it will not reverse. How can I get that to work again?

Also when I recalibrated my z height, why did I lose 5mm in total height?
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Av8r,

First off, the extruder not reversing doesn't sound like anything firmware related? Unless your temps are too low. It doesn't allow extruder moves below a certain temp, but, there's a little bit of a bug where it will allow it to go one way, but not the other. Check to make sure your extruder motor direction is correct, as I believe it will let it retract but not extrude. Try it with your hotend warmed up above 170c or so

Second, for the 5mm loss of Z Height, in configuration.h there is a set of variables labeled

// When you have several endstops in one circuit you need to disable it after homing by moving a
// small amount back. This is also the case with H-belt systems.
#define ENDSTOP_X_BACK_ON_HOME 5
#define ENDSTOP_Y_BACK_ON_HOME 5
#define ENDSTOP_Z_BACK_ON_HOME 5

This moves the head DOWN by 5mm after it homes, and uses that as it's max height. The reasoning is, when all the endstops are 'triggered' there's a possibility to miss a few steps when it takes off to start printing, as the endstops are in triggered mode. If you want, you can change those to 0's and you'll be back to normal. I think it's safe to give up the 5mm of Z for no chance of missed steps or endstop interference. YMMV, and experiment! Maybe you can get away with 2-3mm of back off movement, it just needs to be enough to release the mechanism in the endstops
Av8r RC
Printmaster!

Post by Av8r RC »

Yes, I tried reversing the extruder while the hotend was up to temp (230). I have tried a few prints and it does retract. But will not reverse, only tried thru the Rep host.

And thank you for the explanation on the loss in height. I like that, a good addition to the firmware.
newbeb
Noob

Post by newbeb »

mhackney wrote: It would be a good idea to take screen shots of your config so you can 1) go back if you need to and 2) have other values for your particular Rostoclk Max that might not be the most current. For example, I have 15 tooth pulleys on mine, not the 20 tooth that are shipping now. This affects steps-per.
The current settings can be dumped using the M205 GCode executed through Repetier-Host and you can then copy/paste that off into a text document for furture reference.

You can also export an XML file (the extension will be .epr) using Config -> Firmware EEPROM Configuration and clicking on the Export EEPROM Data button. The bonus with using this method is you can then re-import the settings using the Import EEPROM Data button.

-Brian
Rostock MAX
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

newbeb wrote:
mhackney wrote: It would be a good idea to take screen shots of your config so you can 1) go back if you need to and 2) have other values for your particular Rostoclk Max that might not be the most current. For example, I have 15 tooth pulleys on mine, not the 20 tooth that are shipping now. This affects steps-per.
The current settings can be dumped using the M205 GCode executed through Repetier-Host and you can then copy/paste that off into a text document for furture reference.

You can also export an XML file (the extension will be .epr) using Config -> Firmware EEPROM Configuration and clicking on the Export EEPROM Data button. The bonus with using this method is you can then re-import the settings using the Import EEPROM Data button.

-Brian
Those are good tips guys, thanks for posting them.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Another important thing to note - make sure you record the "Filament printed [m]" and "Printer active " fields from the EEPROM if you want to continue to keep track of how much time & filament have been run on the machine.

On another note, I upgraded Red Sonja to the .91 firmware yesterday and I'm very happy with the result! Just remember that you'll have to re-calibrate the machine when you're done and don't forget that your Z height is going to be 5mm short of where it was before. I forgot and mashed the nozzle into the bed. :)

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Woolf
Printmaster!

Post by Woolf »

I have updated to the 0.91. Really great Job SMC, the new Menu its more than great and I really like the Speed Multipler.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Hey Oly,
thanks for setting this up for the MAX also
But could you PLEASE add Z height readout, Elapsed time, % Printed, and longer display of file names?
I really miss those, now that I have been using the Orion for awhile.
That is why my MAX is probably staying with Marlin FW for awhile.

People should be aware of those things before "upgrading" their firmware.
Also be aware that you can no longer tweak and adjust many of the settings with the LCD like you used to. You must hook it up to your PC for "getting under the hood"
For example, you can not jog head in X & Y from LCD

Overall though the new FW menu is really simple and easy to use.
Nice work Oly.
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Well, you helped Brian! And many others. Yes, moving x/y is gone in the new menus, but little to none used it, and if so were calibrating anyways, in which the oc was needed anyhow. Long filenames are supported in the new fw too Brian, this is a step ahead of even what we were working in with the LCD menu stiff. Check it out, you can always roll back.
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Oly,
have you added Z height readout and elapsed print time?

well "supporting" long file names is one thing, displaying them on LCD of new FW like marlin is other ;)

is the MAX version of LCD menu identical to what is on my Orion now?
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bass_rock
Noob

Post by bass_rock »

Is it possible to make the new config file match the stock .91 config so we can use the config generator. I would like to be able to change settings using that tool since it is a lot easier than manually modifying the config file itself. It also provides a way to save your config values and use the config generator to upgrade to the next repetition version.
MSURunner
Printmaster!

Post by MSURunner »

bvandiepenbos wrote:Oly,
have you added Z height readout and elapsed print time?

well "supporting" long file names is one thing, displaying them on LCD of new FW like marlin is other ;)

is the MAX version of LCD menu identical to what is on my Orion now?

I too would like to see that. I also cannot seem to find a spot in the menus to extrude something, which would be nice. I was going to dig through the old menus and add that feature in, but I'm busy teaching right now and if you were taking menu requests John, I can't imagine that would be difficult to re-include in the Temps menu or a new menu.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

Grrr.

Just did the upgrade, recalibrated (apart from z-=5.0mm, nothing had changed), looking good.

Except now I'm having comms issues. Hit the "extrude" button on the Mac Repetier Host a few times, used to queue 'em up beautifully on 0.83, post-0.91 I get a few in and the whole command queue blocks up.

Still getting temperature updates, just can't send any more commands. Stuffing about with the "Use Ping-pong" and "Sends OK after error" don't change a thing :(
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Captain,

Can you send me some info on what version of Repetier-Host, what MAC os, and any other things you might find helpful. I've had intermittent issues with repetier-host for MAC with pretty much ANY firmware/printer/electronics, so I've learned a few how-to fixes... Lemme know, and I'll see if anything sticks out
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

John, you are a gentleman and a scholar, thank you for your kind offer.

Repetier host is still Version 0.56 (53)
Mac OSX Mavericks 10.9.1 (13B42) on an

Not much else to report. Going straight out the butt of the iMac 27" late 2009, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 through a 5m USB cable to the Max.

Worked /flawlessly/ on 0.83 firmware - to the point I was wondering what all the complaints were about with longer USB cables etc. But switched to the bigger one and it hasn't missed a beat. Until I put 0.91 on and now I can reproduce this fairly easily.

Note: I will go back to 0.83 before I go to a shorter cable, I got the 5m one for a reason (office layout) and it's well within specs.

Any clues appreciated. In the meantime it seems ok if I leave a second or so between one movement on the extruder and hitting the button again.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

I can't speak to the MacOS issue (the only thing I use mine for is IRC...), but the latest release of Repetier-Host for Windows (and possibly Linux) tweaks the LCD display when you run the job and it shows the same time clock on the bottom LCD line as is displayed in R-H itself during the print. It does this even on the .83 firmware.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
mirage1207
Plasticator

Post by mirage1207 »

hello all.
i have some little problems with the 0.91 Repetier Firmware. Bevor i bought a complete Rostock Max by SeemeCNC i ordert a single Rambo controller and 2 type of displays. The First is a "normal" Display who is also include by the Delta Max - This Display woks without any problems with Repetier 0.91. The other one is a Full Graphic Display (with SD slot) 128x64 pix - here works nothing... the display only lights up. no Graphic or anything... :(
i Change the display type in the config.h but nothing changend.... no graphic or anything else is to see on the display... only light....
have anyone else this problem???? i hope you could help :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

mirage1207 wrote:hello all.
i have some little problems with the 0.91 Repetier Firmware. Bevor i bought a complete Rostock Max by SeemeCNC i ordert a single Rambo controller and 2 type of displays. The First is a "normal" Display who is also include by the Delta Max - This Display woks without any problems with Repetier 0.91. The other one is a Full Graphic Display (with SD slot) 128x64 pix - here works nothing... the display only lights up. no Graphic or anything... :(
i Change the display type in the config.h but nothing changend.... no graphic or anything else is to see on the display... only light....
have anyone else this problem???? i hope you could help :)
It seems that the Full Graphic Display is a fairly new implementation for Repetier and there is not a lot of documentation on it yet.
What I did find is from the Repetier forum at http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,240739" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The later entries on page 1 and page 2 may be of some help.
altarke
Printmaster!

Post by altarke »

After the firmware upgrade MAX is abit sick...

For some reason a carriages r traveling in the opposite direction when I do "home", Why does it happen and how to change it?

where do I change motor direction in the new firmware.

Also where is the place in the FW to change extruder direction?

I can always go back to 8.0 so I can get to print.

I am happy to report that I can control the head temp and bed (not all control is lost).
Altarke

Rostock MAX V1 Printer
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

altarke wrote:After the firmware upgrade MAX is abit sick...

For some reason a carriages r traveling in the opposite direction when I do "home", Why does it happen and how to change it?

where do I change motor direction in the new firmware.

Also where is the place in the FW to change extruder direction?

I can always go back to 8.0 so I can get to print.

I am happy to report that I can control the head temp and bed (not all control is lost).
In configuration.h you should see the following lines, changing them to the opposite value will change the direction. (E0 is extruder)
#define INVERT_X_DIR true
#define INVERT_Y_DIR true
#define INVERT_Z_DIR true
#define INVERT_E0_DIR true

You would need to edit the necessary lines then upload to the Rambo using the Arduino and selecting repetier.ino then upload but that I'm sure you know.
Stepper motor direction of rotation can also be changed by switching a pair of wires on the connectors, the problem is getting the pins out of the connector and switching them
some can be stubborn, usually there is a small hole in the connector where you can gently push the metal while pulling gently on the wire and it should release. A pair is defined
as pins 1 and 2 OR pins 3 and 4.

Return to “Rostock MAX”