Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
neurascenic
Printmaster!

Re: Repetier 091 for Rostock MAX now available

Post by neurascenic »

bubbasnow wrote:
aerouta wrote:
bubbasnow wrote:
so what happens if you do

G28
G4 P500
G0 Z0 X0 Y90 F3500

I am doing a print right now but I imagine that would solve it. But is that just not putting a bandage on the problem?
im running .91 and I am not having these issues. so if it fixes your issue its not a bandage, its a custom solution :)
It did take care of the issue. it might be just behavior coming from a computer.

I am running a Mac, if that might make any difference.

BubbaSnow, Thank you for pointing this out. makes me feel a little more confident in my build 8-)
I am a fool entrapped within my own wisdom.
gestalt73
Printmaster!

Post by gestalt73 »

So, uh, does anyone know what's the purpose of the asterisk number to the right of the ETE readout?
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Post by Captain Starfish »

I was really starting to get my hopes up that 0.91 would solve the "stalled print" issue.

Nope.

It's been ok on the small prints I've been running hooked up to the computer but, today, I needed to run the printer off the SD card. Got 20 layers in and stopped dead, happily telling me it was ready for the next job.

Grrr.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Captain Starfish wrote:I was really starting to get my hopes up that 0.91 would solve the "stalled print" issue.

Nope.

It's been ok on the small prints I've been running hooked up to the computer but, today, I needed to run the printer off the SD card. Got 20 layers in and stopped dead, happily telling me it was ready for the next job.

Grrr.
Hopefully if was just a fluke, no one else has reported those stoppages with 0.91 - Yet.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

It's been an unhappy day with Max and I not quite seeing eye to eye.

First up I had to get some work done and have discovered that I can't concentrate in the study with the Max whining away, so I moved it to the dining room table. Drat, you really do need to re-calibrate every time you move it. That's a little annoying with the new firmware but hey, 4 G-Code files to do the columns off the SD card and we're ok. Then I crank it up and realise there's no way any more to prime the extruder before kicking off the job from the LCD. Again, a little annoying but got around it by manually pushing the filament down until I got squirt. Then I get halfway through the job before I hear the dreaded clicking sound that I'd previously fixed with a fan on the rAMBO. Get out to the printer and it's done at least one layer with no filament and gouged the ABS with the hobbed gear. AAARGH, ok, push it past the chewed out bit? Nup, head is jammed solid.

OK. Deep breath. Went to the "spares" box wherein dwells the 2nd hot end I've been waiting to extrude. Grab the nozzle out of the max and throw it in acetone, grab the spare and throw it in with some heatsink compound, give it 5 minutes to catch up to temperature and push through some ABS. Hmm, that looks thick.

Explains my "stringy build" thread anyway, I thought I'd ordered all 0.35mm nozzles but had ordered one spare 0.35 and the standard 0.5mm nozzles on the extruders. D'OH. Anyway, rerun slic3r with new settings for the 0.5mm nozzle and start again.

Then it jammed and I'd had enough for the day. Pulled the filament out of the nozzle, set it to one side and walked away. I'll have another go with the same file tomorrow and see if it stalls in the same spot. No? freak accident. Yes? Either crappy GCode or something the 0.91 doesn't like: roll back to 0.83 and see what it does.

Fun and games!!!
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

If you have to recalibrate when you move it, the parts aren't tightened down all the way. I move mine around all the time and I've NEVER needed to recalibrate because of a move.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Hmmm.

Hadn't thought about that. In hindsight, the towers and centre Z were all offset by the same amount and it was under 0.2mm, I quite possibly introduced the error mucking around with the glass last week or with the nozzle today and have confused myself about the order of events.

I should probably start keeping a handwritten log of all Max related activities to avoid confusing myself...
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Realistically, the only way you could "de-calibrate" the poor thing is if you knock it off the table or give the machine a hard enough shock that the towers shift in or out. The way John treats some of his machines is cringe-worthy, but they still print great. :D

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

LOL, what are you sayin' there gene? Haha, but yes, we have a few Rostock MAX's that have WELL over 6k miles on them from traveling to makerfaires last year, and they survived trailer rides w/me and steve driving! One was even the first MAX, the acrylic prototype. It still prints, but we've pretty much retired it a few months ago. I haul them all over the country to take to shows in the back of the truck, back seat of the wifes car, trailer, and i never really recalibrate. From time to time I do re set my z height, but that's about it
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Yep, and the 0.91 "zero Z" is a winner for fixing it up.

Powered up this morning and the UI was jammed on the main screen. Hmm. Off and on again, same.

Uh oh.

Pulled the SD card, tried again, all happy. Put the SD card back in and finished the part. Sadly it pulled a chunk out of the other side of my flipped broken boro plate so now I really do have to wait for the new ones to arrive but it printed just fine.

So yes, looks like a once-off.

And wow: after printing 0.35mm from day one, switching to the 0.5mm nozzle feels FAST!!! :)
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Captain Starfish wrote:Yep, and the 0.91 "zero Z" is a winner for fixing it up.

Powered up this morning and the UI was jammed on the main screen. Hmm. Off and on again, same.

Uh oh.

Pulled the SD card, tried again, all happy. Put the SD card back in and finished the part. Sadly it pulled a chunk out of the other side of my flipped broken boro plate so now I really do have to wait for the new ones to arrive but it printed just fine.

So yes, looks like a once-off.

And wow: after printing 0.35mm from day one, switching to the 0.5mm nozzle feels FAST!!! :)
Are you still using the juice on your glass?
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Elmers hasn't turned up yet.

This plate is stuffed anyway.

I was trying a much more dilute version of the juice in the hope it wouldn't grab so hard.

Of course the glass is weakened, but the juice? Painted a 2cm wide strip down the middle and then used a brush loaded with plain acetone to wipe it out to the sides (5cm each way).

If that's still pulling chunks, that's the end of juice on glass for me for anything bigger than about 8cm^2 on the bed.

If Elmers doesn't fix it, I'll try hairspray and if THAT doesn't do it, I'll go back to Kapton and juice.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Captain Starfish wrote:Elmers hasn't turned up yet.

This plate is stuffed anyway.

I was trying a much more dilute version of the juice in the hope it wouldn't grab so hard.

Of course the glass is weakened, but the juice? Painted a 2cm wide strip down the middle and then used a brush loaded with plain acetone to wipe it out to the sides (5cm each way).

If that's still pulling chunks, that's the end of juice on glass for me for anything bigger than about 8cm^2 on the bed.

If Elmers doesn't fix it, I'll try hairspray and if THAT doesn't do it, I'll go back to Kapton and juice.
With the Kapton and juice does the Kapton get pulled from the glass?
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Yup, ripped off in chunks on the bigger pieces. Cheaper than glass, though :)
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

Have you tried PET tape? It's much thicker/stronger than Kapton. When I'm printing a lot of ABS, I use it and I typically get 10-15 prints before needing to remove and recover the glass.
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

Arrrgh more stuff to buy :)

No, I haven't. I have a big ol' roll of Kapton with no other use in mind, so I'll go through that first then start looking at alternatives. Hmm: I have a roll of PET filament there too, I reckon it'd be interesting getting that off the tape :D
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

Fyi, a good sub for unobtanium pet tape, go to the auto parts store and buy the cheap window tint.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

so I have .83 on my Rambo I cannot get arduino or rep host to communicate, it connects but cannot control. none of the m or g commands work, or the manual stepper motor functions. older laptop that has a 128000 limit on the baud rate... is .83 higher than that by default?

do I need to do an eeprom clear before adding a new config.h ? is this file the firmware or do I need to do something with eeprom.h also?

also can someone post a good confing.h file for me to replicate? arduino keeps giving me compiling errors with the config .h from the .91 download. using latest arduino ide

stuck with communication problems first though... need to know default baud rate... if my port is too slow need to hook up to a faster laptop

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:so I have .83 on my Rambo I cannot get arduino or rep host to communicate, it connects but cannot control. none of the m or g commands work, or the manual stepper motor functions. older laptop that has a 128000 limit on the baud rate... is .83 higher than that by default?

do I need to do an eeprom clear before adding a new config.h ? is this file the firmware or do I need to do something with eeprom.h also?

also can someone post a good confing.h file for me to replicate? arduino keeps giving me compiling errors with the config .h from the .91 download. using latest arduino ide

stuck with communication problems first though... need to know default baud rate... if my port is too slow need to hook up to a faster laptop

Tom C
First, what kind of printer are we dealing with?
Did you install the Rambo Driver on the laptop and if so when you go to device manager do you see the Rambo Device under ports? What port is it on?
You said it connects but does not control, how do you know it connects?
Compiling errors don't mean much if you cannot communicate with the Rambo board. Please answer the above questions and I will work with you to resolve this.
Captain Starfish
Printmaster!

From memory the baud rate defaults to 250000 baud so you'll need to hook up to something else and change the rate down on the board.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Captain Starfish wrote:From memory the baud rate defaults to 250000 baud so you'll need to hook up to something else and change the rate down on the board.
I have had users that had a huge baud rate mismatch between the Rambo driver and what's in the firmware yet they were able to connect.
It has been my experience that if you cannot connect, there is usually something wrong with the Rambo board itself.
The old school theories that there had to be an exact match is not true. I was surprised as anyone because I am from the old school yet I have seen a connection
many times when the host does not match the firmware baud rates. If you want to be surprised, go into your ports and turn down the baud rate and see if it still connects.
If you wonder why this is the case it is because we are working with USB ports not serial ports. The baud rate set in a virtual com port (USB) does NOT matter. The host
should be set to the baud rate defined in the firmware.
Last edited by Eaglezsoar on Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
smiley
Printmaster!

Post by smiley »

OK, sorry to be stupid about something so basic- how do I download the new firmware from github? Do i need a client or something? Or do I have to click and save every single file in the "Repetier" directory?

I thought I should be able to click on the initial link and save the whole thing as a zip. If there is a simple howto that I should read first I would much appreciate any guidance.

EDIT: sorry, I was just being stupid. The "download zip" link is way down at the lower right-hand corner of the page. which is terrible UI design but obviously not the fault of anybody here.
Last edited by smiley on Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

smiley wrote:OK, sorry to be stupid about something so basic- how do I download the new firmware from github? Do i need a client or something? Or do I have to click and save every single file in the "Repetier" directory?

I thought I should be able to click on the initial link and save the whole thing as a zip. If there is a simple howto that I should read first I would much appreciate any guidance.
https://github.com/seemecnc/Repetier-091-ROSTOCKMAX" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
There you can download the zip.
stonewater
Printmaster!

Post by stonewater »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
stonewater wrote:so I have .83 on my Rambo I cannot get arduino or rep host to communicate, it connects but cannot control. none of the m or g commands work, or the manual stepper motor functions. older laptop that has a 128000 limit on the baud rate... is .83 higher than that by default?

Tom C
Did you install the Rambo Driver on the laptop and if so when you go to device manager do you see the Rambo Device under ports? What port is it on?
Compiling errors don't mean much if you cannot communicate with the Rambo board. Please answer the above questions and I will work with you to resolve this.

I have the arduino ide (latest) and the rambo usb driver installed. the printer is the rostock max , and my lappy sees it on com 8. repetier host says it is connected also if i disconnect and reconnect the LCD resets to the startup page which says rostock and 0.83
was trying to follow the manual to a T and it shows you need to set the baud rate to 2500000 my laptop in device manager well tops out at 12800000 (to many zero's0 ;)
took some time reading on the arduino and figured out how to grab the config file from the .91 download. dropped it into the arduino window and then hit upload. then it gave a bunch of compiling errors.

Tom C
MAX V1
325 MM carbon arms trick trucks effector mount LED ring heat spreader
Corvair750
V6 Hotend
Robo 3D
Flashforge creator
http://WWW.TeslagenX.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Bedini experimenter kits, books, DVD's
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

stonewater wrote:
Eaglezsoar wrote:

Tom C

I have the arduino ide (latest) and the rambo usb driver installed. the printer is the rostock max , and my lappy sees it on com 8. repetier host says it is connected also if i disconnect and reconnect the LCD resets to the startup page which says rostock and 0.83
was trying to follow the manual to a T and it shows you need to set the baud rate to 2500000 my laptop in device manager well tops out at 12800000 (to many zero's0 ;)
took some time reading on the arduino and figured out how to grab the config file from the .91 download. dropped it into the arduino window and then hit upload. then it gave a bunch of compiling errors.

Tom C
The baud rate of the Rambo device driver on Com 8 does not touched. It can be set at 19200 and left there. What is important is that the Repetier host
baud rate matches the one in the firmware. If you are getting compile errors then I suspect that something you changed in configuration.h is not right.
It only takes a space or a character out of place and you will see those kinds of errors. Also in Arduino you should be choosing the Repetier.ino file when
you go to upload your changes to configuration.h and make sure you have the mega256 card selected.

Return to “Rostock MAX”