USB Wi-Fi?

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Tincho85
Printmaster!

USB Wi-Fi?

Post by Tincho85 »

Hi guys, sorry for my ignorance, but would it be possible to use a USB WIFI Adapter to connect with the printer??

One like this maybe:
wifi007.jpg
Martín S.
dpmacri
Printmaster!

Re: USB Wi-Fi?

Post by dpmacri »

I don't think that would be possible. The RAMBo isn't like a USB host, it's like a device. So you can't plug an antenna like that into it (notice that the cable you used to connect the RAMBo to your computer has a USB Standard Type-A plug (like the one in the picture) for connecting to your computer but a Type-B plug for connecting to the RAMBo. Those plugs were specifically designed to enforce the topology os USB: there's a "host device" and a "target device". You can't reverse the cable. Similarly, you can't expect a target device to be able to play host to another USB target device (which is what the Wifi antenna would be).
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

dpmacri wrote:I don't think that would be possible. The RAMBo isn't like a USB host, it's like a device. So you can't plug an antenna like that into it (notice that the cable you used to connect the RAMBo to your computer has a USB Standard Type-A plug (like the one in the picture) for connecting to your computer but a Type-B plug for connecting to the RAMBo. Those plugs were specifically designed to enforce the topology os USB: there's a "host device" and a "target device". You can't reverse the cable. Similarly, you can't expect a target device to be able to play host to another USB target device (which is what the Wifi antenna would be).
Very well written answer.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Tincho85
Printmaster!

Post by Tincho85 »

Hello, yes... I had little faith, there was nothing similar in the forum =/
I don't want to print from another location, but I would like to put my printer on another room, like 10m away from my computer.
Is it posible to use a cable that long?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Martin.
Martín S.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The cheapest way to get what you want is to run Octoprint on a Rasberry Pi that's equipped with a WiFi adapter.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:The cheapest way to get what you want is to run Octoprint on a Rasberry Pi that's equipped with a WiFi adapter.

g.
I think there is one more option that will run on the Raspberry Pi and that is Repetier Server. I'm not 100% sure of that and from the little I have read Octoprint is supported and updated better than Repetier Server.
Are there any users who is running either options, this would be an interesting topic.
barry99705
Printmaster!

Post by barry99705 »

Tincho85 wrote:Hello, yes... I had little faith, there was nothing similar in the forum =/
I don't want to print from another location, but I would like to put my printer on another room, like 10m away from my computer.
Is it posible to use a cable that long?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Martin.

This should work, but I don't have a printer to test it with. I've used them for "normal" usb devices though, and it works just fine.

http://www.showmecables.com/product/Lon ... Mwod0woAVA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never do anything you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics.
h3ss
Plasticator

Post by h3ss »

Eaglezsoar wrote:I think there is one more option that will run on the Raspberry Pi and that is Repetier Server. I'm not 100% sure of that and from the little I have read Octoprint is supported and updated better than Repetier Server.
Are there any users who is running either options, this would be an interesting topic.
I use Repetier Server on my Pi, mainly because I was having trouble printing to Repetier Firmware from OctoPrint. For the most part I like OctoPrint better, and plan on giving it another try soon.

Here's some pros and cons I've found for each:

OctoPrint:
Pros:
- Built in webcam support
- Gcode visualization
- Temperature graphs
- More frequently updated
Cons:
- May have problems printing with Repetier Firmware

Repetier Server:
Pros:
- Easy printing with Repetier Firmware
- Can use binary Repetier gcode format (better throughput)
- Cleaner UI (in my opinion)
Cons:
- Hasn't been updated in a very long time
- I had to modify the HTML to add webcam support
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

h3ss wrote:mainly because I was having trouble printing to Repetier Firmware from OctoPrint. For the most part I like OctoPrint better, and plan on giving it another try soon.
I'm in the process of setting up OctoPi right now. What was the problem you encountered with it?

Btw. watching my print on OctoPi currently :D
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

int2str wrote:
h3ss wrote:mainly because I was having trouble printing to Repetier Firmware from OctoPrint. For the most part I like OctoPrint better, and plan on giving it another try soon.
I'm in the process of setting up OctoPi right now. What was the problem you encountered with it?

Btw. watching my print on OctoPi currently :D
Are you using the Raspberry Pi as the controllers?
int2str
Printmaster!

Post by int2str »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Are you using the Raspberry Pi as the controllers?
Yes. I'm using OctoPi (http://guysoft.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Two prints done now, works like a charm so far.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

int2str wrote:
Yes. I'm using OctoPi (http://guysoft.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Now that I think about it, my question was dumb. It's called Octopi because it runs on the Pi boards. DUH! I'll have to knock some of the dust out of my brain.
BigJimmmy
Plasticator

Post by BigJimmmy »

Been using OctoPi for a while now, first on my Robo3d and now on my Max. Works great, love the time lapse and web control. Can check on long prints from work and the time lapse lets me know when and why it fails if it does. (which is becoming less and less :D )
bvandiepenbos
Printmaster!

Post by bvandiepenbos »

Another option would be the Doodle3D wifi device.
http://doodle3d.com/product/doodle3d-wifi-box/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://github.com/Doodle3D" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have one of these from their kickstarter.
I have printed wireless to my MAX, but have not had much time to play with it.
The app is very rudimentary and firmware on box is buggy, but that is getting worked out pretty quickly now that people have the device from the kickstarter campaign.
Cura has recently added support for the Doodle3D wifi box so you can print right from Cura wireless. I have not tried it yet, but am really looking forward to getting it hooked up to my MAX. Cura is one of my favorite slicers.
https://www.ultimaker.com/pages/our-software" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks promising
~*Brian V.

RostockMAX v2 (Stock)
MAX METAL "ShortyMAX"
MAX METAL Rostock MAX Printer Frame
NEMESIS Air Delta v1 & v2 -Aluminum delta printers
Rostock MAX "KITT" - Tri-Force Frame
GRABER i3 "Slim"
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

int2str wrote:

I got octopi installed with the latest image 2014-01-07 weezy, i got my webcam hooked up and when i login locally i can see myself in the webcam. but when i connect via my ip:port its the broken image icon. any ideas?
LASERMAN
Printmaster!

Post by LASERMAN »

I have been looking for a wireless solution for a month or so now, and I finally got something that works. I bought the IOGEAR wireless 4-port USB sharing station (model GUWIP204). You have to hook the printer up to the PC directly to load the drivers, then you hook it to the wireless device and "attach" it with the IOGEAR software. Repetier connects and seems to be working fine. The device is actually small enough to fit in the Rostock Max - I stuck it in the area behind the other door. I also used one of the other ports to hold a USB drive where I store all my files. The unit costs around $60.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

LASERMAN wrote:I have been looking for a wireless solution for a month or so now, and I finally got something that works. I bought the IOGEAR wireless 4-port USB sharing station (model GUWIP204). You have to hook the printer up to the PC directly to load the drivers, then you hook it to the wireless device and "attach" it with the IOGEAR software. Repetier connects and seems to be working fine. The device is actually small enough to fit in the Rostock Max - I stuck it in the area behind the other door. I also used one of the other ports to hold a USB drive where I store all my files. The unit costs around $60.
Your selection of the GUWIP204 seems like a good one for a wireless connection for the printer.
I will take a look at the device and possibly order one for my printer. Thanks for the writeup because
I didn't know the device existed.
LASERMAN
Printmaster!

Post by LASERMAN »

UPDATE: I got the idea of hooking up a USB camera to the unit since the manual says it will support them. Alas, it is not true. After trying several camera, I went online and found several complaints about this problem. Bottom line: It doesn't support cameras.

It would have been nice to have a wireless setup that included a web cam, but I'm still very happy with the setup for controlling my printer and USB flash drives.

I guess you can't have everything (where would you put it all anyways?)

Return to “Rostock MAX”