E3D V4 All metal hotend

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

E3D V4 All metal hotend

Post by Polygonhell »

Finally got mine, set it up this weekend
DSC00079.JPG
Juries still out on it, this was my first successful print
DSC00081.JPG
More detail in my blog for anyone that cares.
Last edited by Polygonhell on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: E3D V4 All metal hotend

Post by cambo3d »

interested to see how you set yours up. stls, and what not...
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

E3d hot end.jpg
My E3d hot end arrived and I hooked it up today. I made some taller standoffs and mounted it on top. The nozzle currently sits 2.5mm higher than the Max nozzle, but the standoffs can probably shortened a couple of mm and it will still fit above the stage. I ended up using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:57889 to mount it.

I'm using ABS and it seems to be printing fine. I don't know if its less pressure to push the filament through the hot end or the smaller nozzle size (.4mm), but the extrusion starts coming out of the nozzle quite a bit quicker at the beginning of a print.

-B
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I have this same hotend and was just trying to get around to a review of it but this works.

In short...best hotend I have ever used.

Never jams, never any concerns of any kind with any materials. I even have been using mine without it's active fan.

I've bought and tried J-heads, trinty, and various others and this one is the top choice.

I love it and it's a 1.75mm from the get go and supports bowden as well.

I also love the nozzle type and slection.
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

I was going to make up some spacers, what length did you end up with?
I'm still having issues with mine, though I've only tried with PLA, my current theory is that if the PLA softens over the interface between the nozzle and the thermal break, it increases back pressure significantly which is causing the SeeMeCNC extruder to eat my filament.
I've verified by pushing through filament by hand that with PLA there is a significant starting pressure, the interesting thing is one the filament is moving you can extrude at totally rediculous speeds.

This likely wouldn't affect ABS because it doesn't soften like PLA.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Broose wrote:
E3d hot end.jpg
My E3d hot end arrived and I hooked it up today. I made some taller standoffs and mounted it on top. The nozzle currently sits 2.5mm higher than the Max nozzle, but the standoffs can probably shortened a couple of mm and it will still fit above the stage. I ended up using http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:57889 to mount it.

I'm using ABS and it seems to be printing fine. I don't know if its less pressure to push the filament through the hot end or the smaller nozzle size (.4mm), but the extrusion starts coming out of the nozzle quite a bit quicker at the beginning of a print.

-B
Can you tell me the length of the standoffs you made?
cambo3d
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by cambo3d »

nice, i wish mine would get here already..
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

Polygonhell wrote:I was going to make up some spacers, what length did you end up with?
I'm still having issues with mine, though I've only tried with PLA, my current theory is that if the PLA softens over the interface between the nozzle and the thermal break, it increases back pressure significantly which is causing the SeeMeCNC extruder to eat my filament.
I've verified by pushing through filament by hand that with PLA there is a significant starting pressure, the interesting thing is one the filament is moving you can extrude at totally rediculous speeds.

I have used primarily ABS with mine thus far and have also found that higher temps than my other hotends seem to work better. Not totally sure why. I have not used mine yet with the fan mounted (stepped on my fan mount accidentally when I got it) I have to get around to printing a new mount.

My standoffs are also currently a temp solution and are only about 1cm tall so most of the hot end is out the bottom. This costs me in overall print hieght but the Rostock has such good volume anyways I am not really bothered yet by that.

I also didn't buy the bowden attachment from them I just drilled and tapped the entrance to fit the seemecnc ptf connectors.

But as I have said, even without the fan I like this hotend more than any other I have tried. I have tried a few different ones (like 5 now). I also like that it comes as a 1.75mm hotend as most if not all other all metal hotends are for 3mm only.

Perhaps my hotend hanging down so far out of the carriage is allowing for better passive cooling but mine doesn't really get hot to the touch at all. I have printed as hot as 255c thus far and that was ABS at a very high speed and feed rate. I assume the fast movement was having a large cooling affect.

What nozzle sizes are you using? The stock .4mm? I have tried many (.25, .35, .4, .5, .7) and as this sizes go down the more friction I seem to feel which I think is due to the filament feedrate slowing and allowing time to heat in the hotend. But .25 still ran very nicely and wow the resolution you get with that nozzle! But the print times are something less than desirable, LOL. If you have a .25mm nozzle do the thin wall calibration wall object test. It's stunning how thin the walls can actually be.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Eaglezsoar wrote:
Broose wrote:
E3d hot end.jpg

-B
Can you tell me the length of the standoffs you made?

They are 1.73in/44mm in length. I drilled and tapped both ends so I wouldn't have to find really long 6-32 bolts.

Edit: I checked with a feeler gauge this morning and i could shorten the standoffs by 1.5mm and the fan would still fit correctly above the platform. The length can therefore be 1.67in/42.5mm. Then the nozzle would only be protruding 1mm less than the Max nozzle from the bottom of the platform (at least on my machine).
aerouta
Printmaster!

Post by aerouta »

Where did you folks order this hotend? here.. http://e3d-online.com/
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

aerouta wrote:Where did you folks order this hotend? here.. http://e3d-online.com/
That where I ordered mine. I received it a little over a week after my order. From their web site it looks like they are running a 3 week backlog now.
h3ss
Plasticator

Post by h3ss »

I received mine last week and I am really happy with it. I have noticed that I'm getting cleaner prints even though I've reduced the retraction from 6mm to 4mm. With the stock hotend I was seeing occasional variances in the extrusion width, especially at higher speeds when doing infill or just after retractions. I am not having that problem so far with the E3D hotend. So far I have only used it with ABS, but I'm planning to order some PLA and nylon to see how well it works with other materials.

If anyone is interested, I've designed a mount specific for this hotend and the Rostock MAX:

E3D Hot End Mount for Rostock on Thingiverse
[img]http://i.imgur.com/uisT7pgl.jpg[/img]

I was using this one previously, but the height of the grooves on the E3D did not match up so it was slightly loose:

With the new one that I designed the fit is tight and there is no play at all, plus it has a hole through which you can route the wiring.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Could you give us the STL for the one you designed?
h3ss
Plasticator

Post by h3ss »

Eaglezsoar wrote:Could you give us the STL for the one you designed?
Sure, they're up on Thingiverse:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:80616

(It's actually linked in my post, but I didn't make it very clear, sorry)

I'll probably post the original SketchUp files on Thingiverse soon in case you want tweak it in any way.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Broose wrote:
E3d hot end.jpg

-B

I used RichRaps J-Head mount and mounted it up high with spacers like you did. It prints like a charm. Love this E3D all metal Hot-End. I cranked it up to 350 C for about 20 minutes with no melting of anything anywhere. I think I am going to switch to the mount you used.

Thanks for posting the link to it.

Namaste.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Polygonhell wrote:I was going to make up some spacers, what length did you end up with?

1 1/2 inch worth of spacers is all I needed and I was able to extend my Z height by 3 mm.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

The fan on the cooling fins needs to be on all the time. It's what keeps that area cool enough so filament only starts to heat up and melt when it reaches the nozzle. Fan must be on all the time on these E3D all metal hot ends.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I have not used a fan with mine yet.

But I don't do the temps you are doing either.

Now if I could just figure out how to jam 2 of these puppies onto the carriage for my dual struder setup.

Hmmmm.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

Just to give an update, I've pulled mine off the machine, I can't reliably print PLA with it, even ABS jams if I try significant retracts with it.
A lot to like about it, but it's too unreliable for the bulk of the material I print with.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Flateric wrote:I have not used a fan with mine yet.

But I don't do the temps you are doing either.

Now if I could just figure out how to jam 2 of these puppies onto the carriage for my dual struder setup.

Hmmmm.

Hmm... Great thought. Maybe create a fan mount that allows for 2 to be connected run with 1 fan. I am sure 1 fan would handle both. It's a nice thought. If you ever figure it out please do drop me a message. Thanks
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Polygonhell wrote:Just to give an update, I've pulled mine off the machine, I can't reliably print PLA with it, even ABS jams if I try significant retracts with it.
A lot to like about it, but it's too unreliable for the bulk of the material I print with.
Fan must be on and running at all times. Before I print with Repetier Host I turn my fan on before the print even thinks about starting. I had the same problem when I first installed it, I installed it without the fan and it kept jamming due to the fact that the heat rides right up to the top. But when I put the fan on it stopped jamming. It prints like a charm now. I will upload some pics to show later. Fan on for PLA,ABS or any type of filament being used. The fan acts as the temp controller for the mid section of the hot end.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Polygonhell wrote:Just to give an update, I've pulled mine off the machine, I can't reliably print PLA with it, even ABS jams if I try significant retracts with it.
I've been meaning to ask you a question. Is Repetier firmware now fully compatible with the Rambo board? If so, is there a file that contains the settings for the Rostock? Settings so I don't have to go into it and set it myself. I am afraid to. I hear Repetier firmware is much better than Marlin but am afraid to mess things up again. I have the machine running like a champ right now, but if Repetier allows the machine to run much smoother I would like to switch. Thanks in advance.
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

elqisqeyano wrote:
Fan must be on and running at all times. Before I print with Repetier Host I turn my fan on before the print even thinks about starting. I had the same problem when I first installed it, I installed it without the fan and it kept jamming due to the fact that the heat rides right up to the top. But when I put the fan on it stopped jamming. It prints like a charm now. I will upload some pics to show later. Fan on for PLA,ABS or any type of filament being used. The fan acts as the temp controller for the mid section of the hot end.
Fans on and mounted with the supplied mount that's not the issue.
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Here is a pic of My E3D printing another mount for itself.
Attachments
IMG_0137.JPG
elqisqeyano
Printmaster!

Post by elqisqeyano »

Polygonhell wrote:
elqisqeyano wrote:
Fans on and mounted with the supplied mount that's not the issue.

Oh ok. Well I hope you get it solved.

Return to “Rostock MAX”