LCD Smart Adapter

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

LCD Smart Adapter

Post by thingevery »

I can't figure out how to connect the LCD to the RAMBo. The instructions on the wiki explain how to make the cables yourself, but mine came with the adapter already attached. And I don't see how it can plug in and hit pins in both the SPI and Ext2 areas. It came with two more cables and two strips of male header pins, but I don't know what to do with them.

Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks!
daftscience
Printmaster!

Re: LCD Smart Adapter

Post by daftscience »

I don't believe that adapter is meant for the Rambo board. I have the LCD kit but haven't installed it yet. I plan on using this guide http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1068 when I do though.
halopend
Prints-a-lot

Post by halopend »

That is exactly what happened to me and I was extremely confused for a while. First, the smart connector isn't for the RAMBo so it's useless and the headers were probably supposed to be female instead of male so they too are useless. The quickest fix you can do is to buy a 20 position ribbon cable with IDC connector for EXT2 and just use one of the cables that came with the LCD for the SPI connection. Note that the SPI is 2x4 and that the cables that came with the LCD are 2x5 so you'll have 2 empty sockets hanging over the side. If you want to make things easier on yourself, get a rainbow ribbon cable as all the colours will make distinguishing what connects to what much easier.
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

Take a look at my wiring guide - it takes the mystery out of the whole mess.

Ribbon cables are just nasty to deal with when you're having to move lines around, that's why I'm going to build a dedicated harness once the parts arrive.

The little sub-board included with the LCD is for the RAMPS board I think.

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

Ok, cool. I scavenged a ribbon cable from work and wired everything up according to the diagrams in Rambo-LCD.pdf. I also downloaded the updated pins_arduino.c file and copied it into my usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino folder. (There wasn't already one there to overwrite.)

But now, when I launch the Arduino IDE and compile the Marlin-for-rostock-ramboLCD firmware, I get the following error:

Code: Select all

core.a(wiring_digital.c.o): In function `digitalRead':
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:166: multiple definition of `digital_pin_to_bit_mask_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0xa0): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `digital_pin_to_bit_mask_PGM' changed from 82 in core.a(pins_arduino.c.o) to 70 in core.a(wiring_digital.c.o)
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:166: multiple definition of `digital_pin_to_port_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0x4e): first defined here
/usr/lib/gcc/avr/4.5.3/../../../avr/bin/ld: Warning: size of symbol `digital_pin_to_port_PGM' changed from 82 in core.a(pins_arduino.c.o) to 70 in core.a(wiring_digital.c.o)
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:153: multiple definition of `port_to_mode_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0x0): first defined here
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:166: multiple definition of `digital_pin_to_timer_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0xf2): first defined here
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:156: multiple definition of `port_to_output_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0x1a): first defined here
/usr/share/arduino/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_digital.c:164: multiple definition of `port_to_input_PGM'
core.a(pins_arduino.c.o):(.progmem.data+0x34): first defined here
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
If I remove pins_arduino.c, it compiles fine. Am I putting the file in the wrong place or something?
zmocar
Noob

Post by zmocar »

I had the same problem until I went back to the RepRap RamboLCD guide and saw that I needed to use a different Arduino version. "This step has been tested and known to work with Arduino 0022 and 0023." When I used that version the "pins_arduino.c" was where it was supposed to be per the instructions.

I have a problem though. While the LCD screen is working and operating the machine manually, it has no power when I disconnect the usb connection to my computer. I've double checked the wiring per the instructions, but don't know where it would get its power from the board to be able to operate from just the SD card.
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

Thanks. I was suspecting that it was the Arduino version I was using. I'll try again tonight to install either v22 or 23 and see if I can get it working.

As for the power issue, I noticed that too. If you need your computer's USB power to run the LCD, doesn't that defeat the purpose?
johnoly99
Printmaster!

Post by johnoly99 »

zmocar, there is a jumper on the rambo board, next to the USB plug, it's a 3-pin jumper. In one position, your board gets power from the USB cable, and in the other, the board gets power from your power supply. Move the jumper to the other position to power the board without USB cable attached, sorry, I'll add that to the wiki right now
thingevery
Prints-a-lot

Post by thingevery »

Sweet, that worked nicely!

BTW, I solved the problem I was having above. The RAMBo isn't compatible with the most recent Arduino IDE, and v22 & v33 gave me errors when compiling. I started a new post in the RAMBo section that explains the fix: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1101&p=4821#p4821
Last edited by thingevery on Tue Aug 25, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zmocar
Noob

Post by zmocar »

Changed the jumper and all works great ! Thanks !
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

A pity...the LCD still doesn't come with a RAMBO adapter. Making own cables is no big deal, but supplying electronic components like connectors is, due to horrendous shipping costs. Oh well, let's see, if I can find some PC flat ribbon cable from the old times...
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

Ok guys

Wired everything up, checked trice (followed the wires, was not able to beep it out at the moment), updated pins_arduino.c on Arduino 0023 and uploaded Johns LCD compatible firmware. But this bloody thing won't work. If I push the click encoder, I can hear a beep and sometimes the LCD backlight flickers during the push...but that's it. Sometimes, I even get a kill () called echo. But also when pushing the click encoder and not the reset button. Any suggestions what to try? I used the mentioned wiring pdf and double checked with the pdf on the reprap wiki.
gabrielk
Printmaster!

Post by gabrielk »

Had the same problem. I downloaded Arduino IDE 022 then replace pins file and opened marlin.pde (exactly this file, not another from the project) and everything works now.
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

gabrielk wrote:Had the same problem. I downloaded Arduino IDE 022 then replace pins file and opened marlin.pde (exactly this file, not another from the project) and everything works now.
What do you mean with "exactly this file"? John's Rambo with LCD firmware?
gabrielk
Printmaster!

Post by gabrielk »

in arduino IDE when you open any file from the project for example configuration.h all the files will be loaded. And i don't know if this make a difference if you open your marlin project by marlin.pde or another file, but for me it's working when I opened it by marlin.pde. And one thing more: when I downloaded Marlin-for-rostockmax-ramboLCD it won't work for me. I have to download Marlin-for-rostockmax-rambo and copy/paste all the setting from the Geneb manual, and everything is now working
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

gabrielk wrote:in arduino IDE when you open any file from the project for example configuration.h all the files will be loaded. And i don't know if this make a difference if you open your marlin project by marlin.pde or another file, but for me it's working when I opened it by marlin.pde. And one thing more: when I downloaded Marlin-for-rostockmax-ramboLCD it won't work for me. I have to download Marlin-for-rostockmax-rambo and copy/paste all the setting from the Geneb manual, and everything is now working
Ok, thanks for clarification and the input with the not working ramboLCD version. Still gona try this first. Unfortunately, I edited the working rambo-without-LCD version with Arduino 1.0.1. This changed marlin.pde to marlin.ino which unfortunately is not backward compatible.
halopend
Prints-a-lot

Post by halopend »

Highcooley wrote:Ok, thanks for clarification and the input with the not working ramboLCD version. Still gona try this first. Unfortunately, I edited the working rambo-without-LCD version with Arduino 1.0.1. This changed marlin.pde to marlin.ino which unfortunately is not backward compatible.
I made a version of the pins file compatible with versions 1.0 and up of the arduino app. Download it here. Note the download button is in the top right.
This goes in a different spot than the earlier versions, on the mac this is /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/variants/mega/pins_arduino.h
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

Hmmm, no luck so far.

Tried with altered pins_arduino.h on arduino 1.0.1 with both, john's LCD version and my old rambo version plus the LCD changes, downloaded a fresh rambo without LCD from john's git repository and did the changes in arduino 0022 with altered pins_arduino.c. But the LCD stays dark with sporadic flickering when I push the rotary knob as well as the beeping as long as the knob is pushed.

Any other suggestions for what to try next?

I try to beep out the cable, but afther that, it can only be either a software problem or either the rambo or the lcd panel is broken.

Update 02.07.2013, 08:43 pm:
Cable is beeped out and all fine. However, I got shorts on A2, B4, B6 and B8 on the LCD controller board. These would be BTN_ENC, SS, MOSI and Kill_Pin. If I take out the SSD card, B4 (SS) is not shorted to the other pins anymore. I also have ground connections between all ground pins except the rotary switch pin 4 and EXP1 (connector B) pin 9. The last two pins are connected and should both be ground.
This all makes no sense to me. Could somebody please check if he gots the same shorts on his working board?
THX a lot!
Highcooley
Printmaster!

Post by Highcooley »

ok guys...forget everything I wrote in my last post (I still leave it here for the records). ALL SOLVED!

I fell for the PIN 10 joke, due to reading the guide properly in the office to see how it works and less concentrated at home during the soldering. :oops:

Truely sorry guys for all the hurly-burly!!
disneytoy
Plasticator

Post by disneytoy »

Hi Guys!

I'm in the reverse boat. I've been looking for that little "smart" adapter board for my RAMPS. If you bought the kit and aren't using the little PCB could I have it?

Thanks

Maxi
San Diego
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Anyone notice how at random times, the guys from Seemecnc jump in and offer help.
I think that it is great that they do that and offer thanks to them.

Return to “Rostock MAX”