E3D Release New Version 6 of HotEnd.

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
artexmg
Printmaster!

Re: E3D Release New Version 6 of HotEnd.

Post by artexmg »

Moeparker wrote:
artexmg wrote:Well, as I mentioned in a previous post, I had being troubled switching filaments using E3D V6, as, for some reason, the filament bulges more than with V5. Then it is very difficult (if not impossible) to make it goes trough the little hole in the EZ-Extruder.

You can see that I got something similar to what Jesse got.

So, I decided to bore the EZ-Extruder (I remember mhackney mentioned this in other post) to make allow the bowden tube go through all the way up to the hobbed drive roller. See the pics

So far, it is working great :-)

Cheers.

How do you keep the bowden tube in the bored out EZ without the PTC piece that holds it up there? Do you use a pass through PTC fitting to keep it in the EZ?
Here are the pictures, I hope it helps better (click on the pictures to see the comments, for some reason they look very tinny in some of the pictures).

Cut the tip this way
Cut the tip this way
cut to 38 mm
cut to 38 mm
step 3.png
step 4.png
step 5.png
step 6.png
step 7.png
step 8.png
step 9.png
Moeparker
Plasticator

Post by Moeparker »

Brilliant! :D
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I finally got my version 6 E3D. Seems great so far! The design is mess-free, so no Kapton or RTV is necessary at all. The injection-molded fan shroud is a lot more professional-looking than the hastily 3D-printed ones they used to ship, and it snaps on nicely as well. Performance is better than the V5. I had to use retraction settings of 3.1mm retract and 3.2mm prime on the V5, which produced okay results, but this hot end works far better with 3.1mm on both and produces less stringing to boot. Seems like the flow pressure is greatly reduced as well, as I can feed filament through it at speeds that would have jammed my V5. So far I've only used it with SainSmart red PLA, which is the least jam-prone filament I've ever used, and it has indeed not jammed. Haven't tried it with trickier filament yet but the reduced feed pressure gives me a good feeling about that. The new fan is perfect - just loud enough you'd notice if it wasn't spinning, but not the WHIRRRRRRR of the V5's fan.

All in all, I'm impressed. I have had two V5 hot ends and they've both had feed pressure issues, one more than the other. I think it's possible that E3D saw people here talking about how they got better performance after polishing the insides of their V5 hot ends, and took it to heart. Whatever the reasoning behind their decision, they seem to have outdone themselves by an order of magnitude!

The mounts I've published on Thingiverse work fine with the V6 since they're made with the same industry-standard mounting grooves. The printable spacer needs to be made available in a slightly shorter version, but unless you print huge stuff that needs the whole height of the envelope, it won't matter. I have been mounting my hot ends under the effector for a year and never had reason to do otherwise.
artexmg
Printmaster!

Post by artexmg »

Moeparker wrote:Brilliant! :D
Thanks man! ... did you mod yours? how it worked?
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

I released a version of my E3D mount with a top-mount spacer appropriate to the V6. I don't know if it's a good idea, though. It always jams after about 20 minutes in that configuration. I re-mounted it under the effector and bingo, it's back to printing jam-free again. I suspect the effector is soaking up heat from the hot end and radiating it back, pushing the hot end's internal temperature into the red zone. If you have issues with PLA jams on your V6, just try mounting it under instead of over. Unless you print huge stuff all the time you'll never miss the build height.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Here's another cool thing: I'm printing with an extrusion width of .35 on a .4 nozzle and it isn't all dirty and screwed up. This is great! I hope it keeps working. 0.35 is a perfect extrusion width for some things with fine details.

Return to “Rostock MAX”