Making the Rostock Max quieter

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Making the Rostock Max quieter

Post by 626Pilot »

I installed the dampers the other day. It required 12 M3 5-0.5 screws, 12 M3 washers because 5mm is just a little too long, and half of the existing screws required to mount the steppers to the frame. It's possible to pass 14mm screws all the way through the mounting to the steppers, but if you do this it will transmit vibration through the screws. The noise level has gone from "Am I going to get hearing damage sitting next to this all day?" to barely audible. It sounds like I'm listening through a headset with active noise cancellation.

When the printer is running under heavy acceleration, I can see the motors wobbling a bit. I mounted a depth gauge (accurate to .001 inch) and did a four-point calibration. The printer doesn't seem to have lost any repeatability. The one thing this does seem to have done is to increase the settling time. I've noticed that the belts have a bit of stretch to them, so when the depth gauge needle hits the glass it will land within about 1 thou of where it was before, and then settle to the same measurement in a few seconds. The dampers seem to increase this settling time, but it always goes where it should after a few seconds. If enough positional accuracy had been lost to matter, I would expect to see uneven walls, uneven layer heights, funny looking corners, etc. but no such phenomenon is apparent - even with acceleration at 4,000, jerk at 35, and speed at 200 mm/sec. This is with .35mm extrusion width, printing 0.08 layers.

I did have a little trouble getting one of the dampers onto a stepper. The metal collar that sits on the motor's snout is a little tight (tried it on two motors to be sure.) I used some soft-jawed clamps to seat it.

All in all, this is just as important an upgrade as getting a good hot end, unless you're deaf.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

Damnit, I don't have the willpower to resist your subtle peer pressure....
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

For anyone that's wondering, the astrosyn dampers are significantly quieter than cork gaskets, which are significantly quieter than the stock setup. Switched from cork to Astrosyn today and am glad I did.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Broose wrote:For anyone that's wondering, the astrosyn dampers are significantly quieter than cork gaskets, which are significantly quieter than the stock setup. Switched from cork to Astrosyn today and am glad I did.
I have a feeling that dampers cut from really stiff rubber (like used in the Astrosyn dampers) and washers to go under the screw heads made of the same material would probably be just as good, and 1/10th as expensive. The foam dampers I got a few weeks ago were not anywhere near as dense.
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

626Pilot wrote:
Broose wrote:For anyone that's wondering, the astrosyn dampers are significantly quieter than cork gaskets, which are significantly quieter than the stock setup. Switched from cork to Astrosyn today and am glad I did.
I have a feeling that dampers cut from really stiff rubber (like used in the Astrosyn dampers) and washers to go under the screw heads made of the same material would probably be just as good, and 1/10th as expensive. The foam dampers I got a few weeks ago were not anywhere near as dense.
I bet if one used the cork gaskets with rubber washers under the screws, it might be a good low-cost solution. I can't get over how quiet the astrosyn dampers are, though. I wish I had known about them on some earlier projects I had done.
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

Keep in mind when considering the cork solution that you are not totally isolating the stepper from the mount by doing so.

Also, the stepper dampers are actually designed from the start to specifically damp the vibrations produced by the stepper motor size they are designed to mount.

So even if you put padding under the screws themselves, between the motor and what it is mounted too, you still have not achieved the total designed isolation that a proper stepper damper was made for.

Just sayin.....
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
Broose
Printmaster!

Post by Broose »

Flateric wrote:Also, the stepper dampers are actually designed from the start to specifically damp the vibrations produced by the stepper motor size they are designed to mount.
Considering Flateric's above statement, the $21 I paid including shipping for the 3 Astrosyn dampers (through the group buy that Astroboy907 put together) seems like a pretty good deal.
Batteau62
Printmaster!

Post by Batteau62 »

This is the route I went. 5-dampers and 5 smaller steppers for $35+shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Steppe ... 19db790f12
-"Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool."
-"As soon as you make something fool proof...along comes an idiot."
-"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ~Thomas Edison
MDMD
Printmaster!

Post by MDMD »

I am planning on installing my dampers this weekend. What's the best way to get them on the printer with minimal disassembly? Remove belts, pull motors, install damper, adjust toothed gear location, reinstall belts....?
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

MDMD wrote:I am planning on installing my dampers this weekend. What's the best way to get them on the printer with minimal disassembly? Remove belts, pull motors, install damper, adjust toothed gear location, reinstall belts....?
I loosened the belt tensioners, popped the belts off the motors, and removed the motors. Then reassembled, took perhaps 15 minutes.
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

Make sure you move the drive gears on the steppers. They will need to be brought further out. After you have the printer running again, verify that none of them are too close to the edge. That happened to me.
MDMD
Printmaster!

Post by MDMD »

I just got these installed an am doing my first post-damper print. I am very impressed. These should be part of the kit... if you don't have them already and sit in the same room as your printer - get them!

It took me longer than 15 minutes to get them installed but it was a simple and straightforward process. Thanks again to astroboy for organizing the group buy!
Flateric
Printmaster!

Post by Flateric »

I'm just glad I took the time initially to give these a try one day when I was bored. Was worth the experimentation.

Also thanks to Astro for the group buy. Although I still don't have my shiny new ones yet. But I live way the hell out in Alberta so understandable.

Glad people are enjoying this little contribution I could make, and glad that finally someone is saying the same thing I was. These are so worth it!

- Flateric
"Now you see why evil will always triumph! Because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

From what I have been reading I gotta get me some of those!
pippin88
Plasticator

Post by pippin88 »

Thanks for the thread.

Astrosyn have quoted me £2.65 per damper, plus £15 shipping to Australia for up to 20 dampers

If there are an aussies who want some dampers, contact me ASAP as I will be ordering some shortly and can order some extras and pass them on
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

And now I've got them installed too.. It's great. Although I'm wondering how the hell polygonhell does it in 15 minutes. My rostock may lose some doors if I have to keep getting into that base....
626Pilot
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by 626Pilot »

lordbinky wrote:And now I've got them installed too.. It's great. Although I'm wondering how the hell polygonhell does it in 15 minutes. My rostock may lose some doors if I have to keep getting into that base....
I found that filing down the tab on the top of the RAMBo door that it pivots on was very helpful. You still have to recalibrate after so 15 minutes doesn't really cover everything.
pippin88
Plasticator

Post by pippin88 »

These dampers are great! Cut the sound of the machine by 2/3rds I reckon - gone from a bit loud / annoying to sit next to, to reasonably quiet and not interfering with music etc.

Ordered on evening of 14th and arrived (from UK to Australia) on day of 20th. 4 working days!

Install took me about 45 minutes all up (most difficult part from getting pulley off extruder motor (Steve's). Highly recommended upgrade.

(I have an extra 4 if anyone in Australia needs some)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Xn7b7tcxY[/youtube]
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

pippin88 wrote:These dampers are great! Cut the sound of the machine by 2/3rds I reckon - gone from a bit loud / annoying to sit next to, to reasonably quiet and not interfering with music etc.

Ordered on evening of 14th and arrived (from UK to Australia) on day of 20th. 4 working days!

Install took me about 45 minutes all up (most difficult part from getting pulley off extruder motor (Steve's). Highly recommended upgrade.

I never bothered doing the motor on Steve's, I never really noticed much sound coming from extrusion, except for the gears. Did you notice it making a big difference?

Also - has anyone noticed their dampeners not staying perpendicular? I harvested some from an old photocopier, and the rubber does not seem stiff enough to handle the tension on the belt. I had to install some bearing covers to keep massive belt slipping at the bottom. One dampener in particular was bad, I can flex it with my hand. Maybe I should look for a new set? There's no way I'm going back at this point... :ugeek:
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

theverant, I think that the rubber in your dampers must be really old and has started to disintegrate like an old tire will do. You should not be able to flex them at all.
I have eight of them and if an elephant had small enough feet to stand on the edges of them, they would not flex. :)
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

Eaglezsoar wrote:theverant, I think that the rubber in your dampers must be really old and has started to disintegrate like an old tire will do. You should not be able to flex them at all.
I have eight of them and if an elephant had small enough feet to stand on the edges of them, they would not flex. :)
Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to eBay I gooooo... :mrgreen:

Thanks for the heads up. ;)
camais
Plasticator

Post by camais »

Anybody else want to go in on a group buy? Or did I miss the party :(
cope413
Printmaster!

Post by cope413 »

I'm in if we can get another group buy together.
Fellow Philosophy majors unite!

"The proverbial achilles heel of property monistic epiphenomenalism is the apparent impossibility of ex-nihilo materialization of non-structural and qualitatively new causal powers."
astroboy907
Printmaster!

Post by astroboy907 »

Thinking about starting another one but not completely sure on it yet. For North America only, sorry Aussies!
Flateric wrote: Black ABS, weak part, bizzare holes, bad layer adhesion, loss of details. Loss of sanity.
My Heatware!.
lordbinky
Printmaster!

Post by lordbinky »

I'll be in for a set if there is another round.

Return to “Rostock MAX”