Raspberry Pi on Rostock MAX

All things related to the Rostock MAX 3D Printer, the worlds FIRST Delta kit!
Nylocke
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: Raspberry Pi on Rostock MAX

Post by Nylocke »

It's a real shame. It was probably the best open source software for 3D printing. I guess one could refer to this behavior as "Pettising" :D
predawnsky
Printmaster!

Post by predawnsky »

awesome thanks for the help guys
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

If you're going to use OctoPrint, do not use it on a Pi, it's too slow and will cause blobbing if your STL has a lot of facets. Best to use a BeagleBoneBlack at least.

I know everyone loves to pile on, but I still don't understand geneb's position on the whole Repetier-Server thing. Okay, I get the hate toward MakerBot what with their "commitment" to open source, and patenting other's ideas. But why Repetier-Server? Why do your ideologies conflict with this decision?

For what it's worth (probably not much to y'all) Repetier said the firmware will stay open source forever. It's GPL after all.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,313864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

geneb wrote:I suspect the move is the desire to disassociate entirely from Repetier and his MakerBot-like behavior.

g.
I can't agree with Gene more emphatically on this point. We in the OSS supporting realm need to shut down these two faced M-th-- F---ers as quick as possible. There's no point in supporting a project that's going to 180 6 months later. We understand everyone needs to eat, but we also have to understand the implicit agreement when starting on these endeavors: information is free or you have financial backing to to the R&D and expect a return. I'm not donating my cash to someone who is creating closed source business strategy.
theverant
Printmaster!

Post by theverant »

rpress wrote:If you're going to use OctoPrint, do not use it on a Pi, it's too slow and will cause blobbing if your STL has a lot of facets. Best to use a BeagleBoneBlack at least.

I know everyone loves to pile on, but I still don't understand geneb's position on the whole Repetier-Server thing. Okay, I get the hate toward MakerBot what with their "commitment" to open source, and patenting other's ideas. But why Repetier-Server? Why do your ideologies conflict with this decision?

For what it's worth (probably not much to y'all) Repetier said the firmware will stay open source forever. It's GPL after all.

http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?267,313864" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's handy dandy, but anyone involved in 3D printing for more than two years are more than skeptical. MB have already proved how far companies can shift once market share comes into play. New world order of the %1 isn't what I signed up for. Whether or not Repetier falls into that category isn't the issue - talk about closed source aligns you to that way of thinking and operation and is inherently confrontational to the community. I just don't see the payoff in this situation, which makes it all the more confusing for me: why alienate everyone with this kind of posture? What's the short term payoff? What's the long term end game?
rpress
Printmaster!

Post by rpress »

theverant wrote: I can't agree with Gene more emphatically on this point. We in the OSS supporting realm need to shut down these two faced M-th-- F---ers as quick as possible.
Some strong feelings I guess. :lol:

This is the way I see it. Say every day on your walk to school there is a bowl with candy in it when you arrive. So you take some again and again, gee that's good! Then one day that candy bowl is gone. How dare they do that! I'm entitled to that candy!

But the thing is, you still have all that candy you took before. And if you gave the principal some money just to be nice, because of the candy, well you did eat the candy so that seems fair.

When going closed-source, they are not somehow revoking all that source code they made before, they are declining to make their new improvements public. Will that alienate people? Well yes, obviously. But what if they had decided in the beginning to not go open source at all? Would you hate them just the same? Well, maybe you would... :P

Look, I guess my feeling is that the attitude and anger about going closed source will cast a negative light on the open source movement. What if a company wants to dip their toes into the open source community by releasing some of their code? Oooh well then they better stay that way then! They'll then think, "Oh, well, maybe we won't go open source after all..."

I think at the end of it all, it's not so black-and-white. There is room for open source as well as closed source. The tricky part is finding this balance. That is, at least until we evolve from a capitalistic society to a collaborative egalitarian one. :geek:
0110-m-p
Printmaster!

Post by 0110-m-p »

The closed-source/open-source debate always causes such hostility...like politics it isn't always a black and white issue so we should stop making it one.
Current Machines || Rostock Max (V1) | V3DR ||
Previous Machines || Flashforge Creator Pro ||
bubbasnow
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by bubbasnow »

geneb wrote:To my knowledge, Host and Server are. This makes me nervous about the state of the Firmware.

g.
is it even possible to make arduino firmware "closed source"?
jdurand
Printmaster!

Post by jdurand »

Since the processor is a normal Atmel part, they could write in normal programming language like C and only provide the binary to load in. On things we make that are closed source I go one step further, the binary firmware updates are encrypted and I disable the default boot loader on the processor.
Standing on the edge of reality... (me)
Quando omni flunkus moritati (Red Green)
Let no man belong to another that can belong to himself. (Paracelsus)
All things are poison and nothing is without poison; only the dose makes a thing not a poison. (Ibid.)
geneb
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by geneb »

The primary issue I have with Repetier isn't the fact that RH is closed - it's how it was done. He did quite a few iterations as an open source project getting valuable feedback and bug reports. Then (I don't know why) he closed it up and left the open source tree for RH die on the vine. The new version is not only closed source, but sports ads or the potential for them. I can't fault him for lunging for the brass ring, but I take exception to the flow of urine sprayed on his user base in the process.

It boils down to the fact that people were depending on RH and they got screwed. This is commonplace behavior in the commercial world, but I'll be damned if I'll tolerate it with open source.

Now that being said, I don't have any issue with the actual software itself - if people want to use that as their host (or server) software, by all means do so! RH is pretty nice, even with the confusing interface changes. Just be aware that the carpet might get pulled out from under you without warning. :)

I don't consider myself to be an open source zealot - I use whatever tool is appropriate for the task (for the most part). I use Windows on the desktop and Linux in my server racks. My development tools are by and large, commercial. (Delphi XE & Visual Studio) My CAD tools are VERY commercial. :D

Don't think you have to agree with me on any of this - use what you're comfortable using. If it works for you, who cares what I think about it? :) [Edit: Unless of course it's a MakerBot. Use one of those and I'll throw things at you. :D ]

g.
Delta Power!
Defeat the Cartesian Agenda!
http://www.f15sim.com - 80-0007, The only one of its kind.
http://geneb.simpits.org - Technical and Simulator Projects
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

geneb wrote:The primary issue I have with Repetier isn't the fact that RH is closed - it's how it was done. He did quite a few iterations as an open source project getting valuable feedback and bug reports. Then (I don't know why) he closed it up and left the open source tree for RH die on the vine. The new version is not only closed source, but sports ads or the potential for them. I can't fault him for lunging for the brass ring, but I take exception to the flow of urine sprayed on his user base in the process.

It boils down to the fact that people were depending on RH and they got screwed. This is commonplace behavior in the commercial world, but I'll be damned if I'll tolerate it with open source.

Now that being said, I don't have any issue with the actual software itself - if people want to use that as their host (or server) software, by all means do so! RH is pretty nice, even with the confusing interface changes. Just be aware that the carpet might get pulled out from under you without warning. :)

I don't consider myself to be an open source zealot - I use whatever tool is appropriate for the task (for the most part). I use Windows on the desktop and Linux in my server racks. My development tools are by and large, commercial. (Delphi XE & Visual Studio) My CAD tools are VERY commercial. :D

Don't think you have to agree with me on any of this - use what you're comfortable using. If it works for you, who cares what I think about it? :) [Edit: Unless of course it's a MakerBot. Use one of those and I'll throw things at you. :D ]

g.
A very good posting that I happen to agree with and that is a rare thing.
You said it very well, much better than I could have.

Return to “Rostock MAX”