Going to Build using the Max Metal Frame...no kit

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
Aflac
Printmaster!

Re: Going to Build using the Max Metal Frame...no kit

Post by Aflac »

I'm going to have to find or make a layer fan mount that will work with this set up.
bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Post by bradjshannon »

Beautiful build! I'm already copying a lot of it, but I may have to try the FSRs, too. Have you used them before? Is there good support for them with various controllers? I am completely unfamiliar and had to google just now to figure out what they do.
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2016/ ... eated.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

FSRs - use the JohnSL board to interface them to the controller and they will work with any of the major controllers. The JohnSL makes them look like a simple endstop switch and you connect them up as a Z min switch on most boards or on the extruder 1 endstop on the Duet boards.

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

I got this kit http://www.ultibots.com/fsr-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems to have everything you need to turn 3 FSRs into an endstop.

When I got to work today my friend had my fsr mounts. I'll post pictures after offspring goes to bed
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

sorry about that i did not drill down far enough on mhackney's blog here is the right page
http://sublimelayers.blogspot.com/2016/ ... -duet.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thanks for posting that Windshadow. Maybe I should add to my signature:

"That PEI, FSR, QR, Duet guy" :)

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Xenocrates
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Xenocrates »

No, more like "The guy who specializes in finding the next de-facto upgrade"
Machines:
Rostock Max V2, Duet .8.5, PT100 enabled E3D V6 and volcano, Raymond style enclosure
Automation Technology 60W laser cutter/engraver
1m X-carve router

Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
01-10011-11111100001
bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Post by bradjshannon »

Uh wow, that is a helpful blog post, to say the least. And here I thought you were "that SSR guy." You seem to be a lot of people, it must be confusing.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Here is the promised picture of my fsr mounts, I'll spend a little time soon getting everything finished and I hope to be printing this weekend, I'll add more pictures add I get then taken
Attachments
IMG_20160315_200522.jpg
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

Someone needs to build metal mounts for the Metal max.... Just saying.
forrie
Printmaster!

Post by forrie »

DerStig wrote:Someone needs to build metal mounts for the Metal max.... Just saying.
Yeah ccavanaugh's new corner fsr mounts that work with the standard snowflake in aluminum would be pretty slick.
I'm not an alcoholic...I'm Australian!
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

bradjshannon wrote:Uh wow, that is a helpful blog post, to say the least. And here I thought you were "that SSR guy." You seem to be a lot of people, it must be confusing.
Not too much, I give them all names so I can keep them straight in my head.

Cheers,
Michael, Bob, Sandy, Karen and Tom

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

I am redesigning my mounts based on lots of experience (mine and others). Even my mounts where I attempted to not over constrain too much, are a bit over constrained. This is a killer for FSRs as they have to be able to move freely without binding. Full round pistons in round cylinders on all 3 points is way over constrained. A single piston/cylinder on one corner, a simple "peg in slot" at another to eliminate rotation around the first corner and a simple no -constraint pad is all that's needed.

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

since my mounts are aluminium I put a little gun oil on them to help keep them from binding, it seems to work pretty good, no matter where i touch it triggers with only minimal pressure, but I am worried about binding, especially on the one near my beta tower, it is tighter than the others and does not allways move freely. i have not run a calibration test on it yet.

i still need to attache the magnets for my end stops, i am using hall effect sensors, I figure i will just glue the magnets onto the screw that normally presses the physical endstops and be good to go...I just need to find where my wife put the super glue.

My bed is sitting pretty high right now, i want to use those new mount design in the mas metal thread, but i need to get the printer up and running before i can print those. but that should fix my its mounted to high problem, and I dont need that extra 20mm or so of z height to print those things so i should be good to go.
bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Post by bradjshannon »

mhackney wrote:I am redesigning my mounts based on lots of experience (mine and others). Even my mounts where I attempted to not over constrain too much, are a bit over constrained. This is a killer for FSRs as they have to be able to move freely without binding. Full round pistons in round cylinders on all 3 points is way over constrained. A single piston/cylinder on one corner, a simple "peg in slot" at another to eliminate rotation around the first corner and a simple no -constraint pad is all that's needed.
Interested to see what you come up with. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger and add an FSR kit, but they'd be in imperfectly-printed mounts of some kind. I wonder how the design can be adjusted to tolerate variation/error in printing and keep itself aligned properly?
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

Ok, I have everything hooked up, but now i have an issue, as soon as i power the machine one of my heaters starts to heat. on the smoothieboard its what ever is hooked up to 2.7, i had that as my heat bed, and bam instant heat, i changed it to being the hotend, updated the config and still instant heat. ive searched my config and there is only the one reference to the 2.7 so i have no idea why its starting up automagically when i power on the board.
Eaglezsoar
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Eaglezsoar »

Aflac wrote:Ok, I have everything hooked up, but now i have an issue, as soon as i power the machine one of my heaters starts to heat. on the smoothieboard its what ever is hooked up to 2.7, i had that as my heat bed, and bam instant heat, i changed it to being the hotend, updated the config and still instant heat. ive searched my config and there is only the one reference to the 2.7 so i have no idea why its starting up automagically when i power on the board.
I don't have any idea why the bed is startiing heat immediately but I do want to thank you for starting this thread, I have learned a great deal and
I hope this thread continues.
“ Do Not Regret Growing Older. It is a Privilege Denied to Many. ”
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

i have a thread in the smothieboard section about this issue and someone suggested its a failed mofset, so right now my plan is to just not use that connection, i have enough others that it wont hinder me. today was the move it from my garage where i have a small workshop set up for building things to my office area where i have computers and such so its calibration time....once the house is clean, my parents are visiting next week and my wife wants a clean house.
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

So I hook the printer up to the computer, hit the home button in printrun and the trucks went the wrong way.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

That's not really a problem, you can either invert the direction in the config file or swap the two phases (pairs of wires to coils) on the steppers. You had a 50-50 chance when you wired the steppers.

Just FYI, commissioning any new printer, especially when you've never done it before, should be done slowly and methodically so as not to damage things (or worse). In this case, simply testing jogging one axis at a time to test that the steppers are configured properly before homing is preferred. Homing requires several subsystems working properly and it's best to separate those and test them individually.

First test endstops with M119 (this and other G and M codes else here: http://reprap.org/wiki/G-code" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Then test that the steppers move in the right direction: position the carriages (all 3) about 100 mm down from the top. Then issue a G1 Z100 G200. The steppers should all move in the same direction, in unison, slowly, to move the carriages down.

etc...

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

yeah ive done all that testing...i though things were moving the correct direction, but since its all pluses and minuses its hard to tell which way is which so perhaps i had it backwards, but yeah i have been very slow and methodical, and tested movement and end stops thoroughly. but if you think left is right then testing can be flawed, sometimes you dont know what you dont know until it bites you.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Thats why I used Z as an example. Its easy to distinguish up from down :)

Start Here:

The Eclectic Angler
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

so if i read your example correctly positive z should move down?
Aflac
Printmaster!

Post by Aflac »

the documantation on the smothieboard site uses x as the example and says + should move right, it dosnt say if its my right or the printers right...grrr

Return to “The Build Zone”