My "BAP"

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Re: My "BAP"

Post by 3D-Print »

Printing the above Duet and PanelDue files. Also connected the PanelDue and the PanelDue controller with a 40 pin male to female bread board connector ribbon. Importantly, if you do not connect your controller directly to the PanelDue, make sure you connect them correctly.
Attachments
image.jpg
My 3D-Printing learning curve is asymptotic to a Delta's X, Y and Z-axes
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

All in the right spot and double checked. Then I taped them together with electrical tape.
Attachments
image.jpg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Upgrading to a 24V power supply.

Have everything including the RSP-750-24, Auber SSR and the 24V to 12v converter. Have changed out all of the connectors to the Molex .100 connectors. Was a bit of a pain, but not bad.

Next..... wire up the Power supply and fire it back up. That is the easy part.

The hard part for me will be updating and making sure the Duex, Duex4 and PanelDue are updated. Making sure that everything is set up in regard to the boards are my biggest concerns since that is not my fortee. Thankfully there have been a bunch of awesome post which I have read multiple times and I'm confident we can get it done. The optimistic realist in me says says minimal issues and a steep learning curve!!!

After all of this........ add my three geared steppers to run the Diamond head.

3/9/2016 addendum: Here is a link to the exact items I bought and where I bought each item (http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 992#p87067" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by 3D-Print on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Finish wiring up the power supply.

After I get the printer up and running I'm going to print out a bracket to attach to the power supply. To this bracket I think I will attach the home made "electrical bus," the step down transformer, and the SSR. I think will design a hole in this bracket such that the SSR sits directly against the metal of the power supply. Then place thermal paste between the SSR and power supply to acts as a mild heat sink. I have found that SSR's can fail when there is poor heat transfer to the heat sink. Thermal paste off optimizes that heat transfer. Per others in the forum, this SSR does not create much heat, this should not be an issue with the power supply.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Windshadow
Printmaster!

Post by Windshadow »

looks good; where did you find that covered terminal block?
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Windshadow wrote:looks good; where did you find that covered terminal block?
Thanks,

I found the terminal block on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UV ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I've used these before in similar fashion and have always been happy with them. I also picked up most of the other items from Amazon including the transformer, wires [silicone flexible high temp 10 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017TG ... ge_o00_s00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and 12 AWG (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015O7 ... ailpages00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)]. Not sure this heavy wire is needed, but is not to expensive and easy to work with. Also picked up the Ferrule connectors as mhackney mentioned. I really like them and have used them before, but not much.

Of note all the wiring and connectors from the 12 volt system I removed and it looked awesome!!!

Now to assemble........
Last edited by 3D-Print on Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Soldered the Onyx to the 10 AWG. Reinstalled the Onyx and snug him down as per the build instructions. Turned on the power unit with the switch, then engaged the SSR for 3-4 seconds. It instantly warms up to the touch and the LED lights up. :D

Next install and connect the Duet and etc. Then calibrate!

Edit: corrected typo's!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Ok, if I don't ever respond or post another comment it is because my wife killed me............

I just ordered [only because my printer (the BAP) is all torn apart????!!!!!! :']

1) 3 BondTech QR extruders kits (I have 3 geared Nema 17 motors for a couple of months ago..... i.e. planning ahead). Using this for the Diamond head......
2) UnitBots, FSR kit
3) Molded Cheapskates Carriage Set
4) Trick Laser Max Metal Platform

Reality is she is quite understanding and loves the idea that our kids get in to the printing (Dad time)!!!!!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

New Cheepskate Carriages. Easy to assemble!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Setup the Duet board and got it up and running. Love the web interface.

Not to duplicate things in the forum, thus here is a link to what what I did as well as to optimization of my PID for the Print Bed. (http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 200#p87861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Up and running after installing a 24v power supply, SSR for the bed, Duet, Duex, trick laser platform, new SeeMeCNC carriages. Calibrated the bed manually at the three axis and center in concert with the horizontal radius (i.e. Delta radius). Prints awesome thus far!! Printing FSR pads and brackets now.

What I impressed with is the difference in how smooth the axis steppers sound. Clearly smoother in motion!!! Not as "choppy" with a much higher frequency of noise suggesting finer motion.
Last edited by 3D-Print on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

First print with the Duet is spectacularly beautiful.
Attachments
image.jpeg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Ok I can't help it but this is quite cool. Just listen to he difference in the X, Y, and Z-steppers.

(http://youtu.be/g49zim16rjo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

3D-Print wrote:Setup the Duet board and got it up and running. Love the web interface.

Not to duplicate things in the forum, thus here is a link to what what I did as well as to optimization of my PID for the Print Bed. (http://forum.seemecnc.com/viewtopic.php ... 200#p87861" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
I have printed the FSR brackets for more than an hour now and my bed varies fro 99.9 to 100.1. The hot end varies from 227.9 to 228.1. :D
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Here are my final PrintBed and HotEnd settings.

M301 H0 P24 I0.80 D105 T0.50 S1.0 ; PID settings for Print Bed
M301 H1 P08 I0.20 D109 T0.50 S1.0 ; PID settings for extruder 0
3D-Print
Printmaster!

My "BAP"

Post by 3D-Print »

Next install the FSR, print brackets for BondTech extruders and install both!!!!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Bond Tech Extruders for the Diamond head assembled. Right now I'm printing out the other two mounting brackets.
Attachments
image.jpeg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Sitting on the deck and love the new Duet web interface. Easily monitor what the printer is doing from my iPhone.
Attachments
image.png
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

Or what the printer thinks it's doing...:)
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

IMBoring25 wrote:Or what the printer thinks it's doing...:)
Exactly! Need to add the video streaming to make sure!! :-) :D
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Have the BondTech extruders to the top!
Attachments
image.jpeg
bradjshannon
Printmaster!

Post by bradjshannon »

Your build looks great!

Thanks for posting your progress with the Duet. I found the files you posted very helpful as examples while setting mine up last weekend!
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

bradjshannon wrote:Your build looks great!

Thanks for posting your progress with the Duet. I found the files you posted very helpful as examples while setting mine up last weekend!
Thank you! Glad it helped someone. :D

Tonight, I put the top together and wired the new extruder steppers. Next finish the Bowden tubes and attach the filament spool racks. Then connect the steppers to the Deux board. I almost have the config.g set up as per other's threads. Calibrate and see what happens. Once it works I will post everything.

Again thanks to everyone in the forum. Could do it with out all the insight here.
Attachments
image.jpg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

I have all the extruder steppers set up and have set up the config.g file for the multiple stepper such there is mixing as defined my the tools. Thus far everything works appropriately with extrusion from each stepper as expected. I do still need to calibrate the steppers for steps/mm.

Even though everything works, I have a question to David Crocker about my set up. Specifically regarding the Duex4 board,the terminal connections and their relationships to config.g commands. I want to make sure I'm accurate when I post all the details here on the forum.

Of interest.... when I did try to print the print did not start because "no tool was selected" despite this being in the last line of my config.g. When I turn on the printer my Tool 1 is activated, however when I start to print, it shuts off Tool 1 and I cannot turn it back on. The printer then gives me "no Tool selected" error. Need to read more about why this is happening. Any insight/suggestions?
Attachments
image.jpeg
3D-Print
Printmaster!

Post by 3D-Print »

Of interest.... when I did try to print the print did not start because "no tool was selected" despite this being in the last line of my config.g. When I turn on the printer my Tool 1 is activated, however when I start to print, it shuts off Tool 1 and I cannot turn it back on. The printer then gives me "no Tool selected" error. Need to read more about why this is happening. Any insight/suggestions?
I have learned that the Duet-Duex4 expects to have a "Tool 0 (T0)". If you don't define "T0" you will get the prior error. :?

I had "commented" T0, the standard SeeMeCNC HotEnd settings. Once is set up a T0 it is printing fine!!!

Not to learn how to switch "Tools" or different extruders during a print. Reading, reading, reading!!

Return to “The Build Zone”