V2 Enclosure

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
JFettig
Printmaster!

V2 Enclosure

Post by JFettig »

I finished up my enclosure, started my first 13" tall print since the enclosure build. I built one without any protection, another with a shower curtain, now this. Should be much better!

[img]http://i.imgur.com/HsMEpkx.jpg[/img]

It maintains ~32-38C depending on the height its measured. I have to plug up the holes in the top plate to see if I can retain more heat.

All the brackets were designed off of the STEP file that was posted, the bottom brackets use existing holes to tie them down, just using 1/2" longer screws, the top brackets required me to add some holes.

I am using 1/8" polycarbonate sheet and corner brackets, http://www.popsuperstore.com/ProductDet ... 1&CartID=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sheets are 28.5" tall by 5.24 and 12.72"(cut 1/32" small).

The temp controller is unused right now, I had a space heater in there but it would overheat - the fan wasn't strong enough to circulate - and a strong enough fan would probably cause print problems. I use it just as a readout right now.

So far, just using a piece of masking tape to hold the door shut. I have provisions built into the corner where it closes for magnets.

Files here: http://repables.com/r/447" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Re: V2 Enclosure

Post by BenTheRighteous »

Very nice, thanks for sharing! I will probably build this myself eventually.

Do you get much better results this way vs. just with the shower curtain?
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

shower curtain has caught on a cheapskate and wrecked a print(6 hours of spagetti!) Plus this looks WAY better and I can see the print much better.

Curtain can still be drafty as well.
mozul
Plasticator

Post by mozul »

One idea to try for heating the air inside is a bonnet dryer instead of a space heater. It provides warm forced air through a hose that should be easily attached. Add a thermostat to turn it on and off.
[img]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41biXyVPvTL.jpg[/img]
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

That is a very interesting idea. I wonder what kind of air volume it pushes. lots of bad reviews on that particular one!
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

A quick note to those who might use these files, if you try to go a full 260mm circle, the end effector will hit the enclosure, if the circle is clipped it will not. Its pretty close but I did hit it during some extensive calibration.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

NOW you tell me, halfway through printing out all the pieces for it! :lol:
nitewatchman wrote:it was much cleaner and easier than killing a chicken on top of the printer.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

lol sorry, it does 230 just fine, it'll do full 260 just not right between the towers.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

I assume you're talking about the cheapskates, and it's ok, I suspected as much anyways. I was kicking around the idea of getting some longer arms to get the full 280 even without the enclosure, so maybe this just puts that much more weight behind that idea.

On the other hand, these brackets are screwed into the base, are they not? If so, do they really need to "hug" the towers? I would imagine we could cut out enough space to allow the cheapskate to pass through rather than collide.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Layer fan tabs hit the polycarb. The cheapskates clear. I hugged the towers for location and alternate mounting ability. The brackets mount to existing holes, .5in longer screws. Top brackets require new holes
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

I'm assembling my enclosure now - how did you get your polycarb into the corner hinge bracket things?

I'm pushing and pushing but it doesn't seem to want to fit flush. There's got to be some trick...
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Ok, so I discovered a pretty decent technique that involves putting the polycarb in your lap, and pushing with your stomach while pulling with your hands. I'm using that for the bigger panels. But I'm stuck on how to join them with the smaller panels then. Do you do that with the panels off the machine and then somehow mount them afterward? Or is it easier to have them on the machine while you attach the corner brackets somehow? Both approaches seem pretty difficult...
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

It wasn't all that easy, I put them all together on the ground the first time similar to what you're doing. Work your way together. I put everything together and ended up taking it all apart again because they didn't all quite line up right. The second time they went together easier.

What I ended up doing though is much different - I put the polycarb into the brackets on the machine all attached and flexed it into place THEN added the corner pieces carefully If I recall correctly, I added the narrow panels after I put the corner pieces on the longer panels or maybe I worked my way around - my memory is foggy :)

If you fold the hinges backward a little bit, you can get a good grip on them while squeezing them into the PC.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

How do the door latch prints fit together? Did you just glue them? I assume the bigger holes in the back are for magnets and should be on the door side - what about the smaller holes, what are they for?

I wound up attaching the corner brackets with the panels on the machine. I'm not sure it would be possible to do it the other way around. There was no trick that I found... just had to fuss with it for long enough, and eventually they somehow got fully seated.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

Small holes were the backup plan for screws, big holes for magnets, I didn't use either, it stays shut on its own.
I used the same tape to attach them as the pei.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

Ok, last question for awhile, hopefully. :)

What layer fan are you using? I remember awhile back you shared a design for a 360-degree fan. However both that design and the one recommended by the manual seem likely to impact the polycarbonate.
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I don't print PLA so I didn't take that into account like I should have.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

JFettig, where did you source your polycarbonate from? Getting ready to make and order and trying to decide on acrylic or lexan.

would you change anything if you had to do it again?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

I ended up getting mine off Amazon - pretty much the best price and easiest to source.

The only thing I'd do different is make it stick out a little farther so it doesn't limit travel in those 3 small places - hasn't been an issue for me.
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Cool, The lower is printed and everything lines up great. Working on the top section now. I print a lot of PLA, so I'm going to have to work out the fan issue.

I was messing around with those files you sent me, but it's kicking my butt. Most likely until I run out of PLA, I'll adjust the bed location for those prints or make that side of the glass removable.
BenTheRighteous
Printmaster!

I worked up something that works well enough for my layer fan needs, that also doesn't collide with either the polycarb or the binder clips. I don't know if it's compatible with the stock hotend (I have an e3d) but I'll share anyway.

Basically I traded out the squirrel fan for my spare 25mm that I had leftover from the stock hotend. I fastened it to the effector platform using two of the spare screwholes on the inner ring (these are probably the same holes that an LED light ring might use) and ducted the air down to the nozzle.

The design could probably be improved so if you want the DSM file I'm happy to share that as well.
Attachments
squidLayerFan.stl
(59.85 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
KAS
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by KAS »

Awesome, I'll check it out when I get home. I have the E3D v6 as-well, and a new ball bearing fan that I never put on the stock hotend.

Thanks again!
duvdev
Printmaster!

Post by duvdev »

can some one please explaine to me slowly how to build this parts?
I need some better pics of it assembled
thanks
drwho
Printmaster!

Post by drwho »

@JFettig great set up, and I really like the clean look. Currently working on the build. I do have a question.

How much longer did the screws need to be for the bottom pieces to fit?
JFettig
Printmaster!

Post by JFettig »

1/2" longer for the base, so I think it was 1.5" long. The screws taken from the base can be used to attach the top pieces.

Return to “The Build Zone”