H-1 build / Time lapse video

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
madmax
Plasticator

H-1 build / Time lapse video

Post by madmax »

Hi all!
I thought it might be interesting to post a time lapse video of my H-1 build. I'm new to 3D printing, so I'm really excited!

Part 0 - "Checking the content": http://mayer.pro/H-1
(I checked the content because two pieces were missing and I wanted a complete count before I start bugging John and Steve.)
Last edited by madmax on Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Re: H-1 build / Time lapse video

Post by mhackney »

Ok, that's pretty cool! Given how organized and meticulous you are, its would be great if you would validate the materials list. When I put that together I had already built my H-1 and basically had to count from the drawings, etc. I have a spreadsheet with the parts used in each step and then I simply totaled them. I'd be happy to post/send you a copy.

cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
madmax
Plasticator

Post by madmax »

Michael, yes, I'd appreciate you sending me the excel parts list.
(I didn't really want to do the parts count, but I quickly realized that parts are missing from the kit and I wanted a full report before I ask for these parts to be sent to me. - I'm in Europe, by the way, and the standard units items are not easy to come by here.)
I already did some counting and the parts list in the new assembly manual doesn't fully match the drawings. For example I count 16 1/8'' dowel pins (part no. 29951) in the drawings, but the parts list (pp. 8-9 of the assembly manual) says 32; And I have 31. So I have either 1 missing or 15 too many of those pins... Etc. We'll see how it pans out when I start the actual build - once I get the missing parts.
Cheers
Markus
mhackney
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by mhackney »

Markus, I posted the Excel parts list in the docs forum so you can grab it there.

As for the dowels, you do need 32 of those. Keep in mind that most of the parts diagrams list items for one assembly but you will need to build two. Those dowels are the axels for the bearings for the axes. Did you get the steel bearing upgrade kit?

Cheers,
Michael

Sublime Layers - my blog on Musings and Experiments in 3D Printing Technology and Art

Start Here:
A Strategy for Successful (and Great) Prints

Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts

The Eclectic Angler
madmax
Plasticator

Post by madmax »

mhackney wrote:Markus, I posted the Excel parts list
Great, thanks! I'll do a cross-check when building the H-1.
mhackney wrote:As for the dowels, you do need 32 of those. Keep in mind that most of the parts diagrams list items for one assembly but you will need to build two. Those dowels are the axels for the bearings for the axes.
Ok I see. So I'm one pin short here. Fair enough, it's a young product. (It's a bit like Ikea in the early days.)
mhackney wrote:Did you get the steel bearing upgrade kit?
No, I didn't even know there is such a kit. Let's see... It's supposed to increase precision, I like that. I guess that's for phase 2: Mods and improvements.
michaellatif
Printmaster!

Post by michaellatif »

madmax wrote: No, I didn't even know there is such a kit. Let's see... It's supposed to increase precision, I like that. I guess that's for phase 2: Mods and improvements.
This is one upgrade I recommend you do from the beginning. It is a massive pain in the rear to undo all the carriages and swap out with metal bearings. Do yourself a favor and purchase the upgrade now and install it with your first build.
Mike Latif
H-1 #3
Polygonhell
ULTIMATE 3D JEDI

Post by Polygonhell »

michaellatif wrote:
madmax wrote: No, I didn't even know there is such a kit. Let's see... It's supposed to increase precision, I like that. I guess that's for phase 2: Mods and improvements.
This is one upgrade I recommend you do from the beginning. It is a massive pain in the rear to undo all the carriages and swap out with metal bearings. Do yourself a favor and purchase the upgrade now and install it with your first build.
It's actually not that bad, certainly easier from the start and worth the purchase, but I did it after the build and it was less painful than I thought it would be.
FWIW I do think the bearing upgrade is worthwhile, but I think replacing the idlers with bearings is a much more noticeable upgrade.
madmax
Plasticator

Post by madmax »

After a long pause I'm back on track!
Here's the first part of the actual build: Part 1 - "Front base subassembly": http://mayer.pro/front-base-h-1
Very straightforward.
madmax
Plasticator

Post by madmax »

And here's part 2: The rear base subassembly: http://mayer.pro/rear-base-h-1.
madmax
Plasticator

Post by madmax »

Videos 3 to 9 are online! The whole lot is also available on the youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/mayerchannel. The final parts 9-12 are coming up soon!

Return to “The Build Zone”