Rostock Max V3 Build with minor mods

Start your own build thread so others can see how it's going, and even help out!
dc42
Printmaster!

Re: Rostock Max V3 Build with minor mods

Post by dc42 »

CaptainMerica wrote:I got a few good prints, but my stock power supply that I'm back on has recently decided that it wants to try changing the voltage too. I had a print fail halfway through, it was still traveling the print path but displayed "DEF" on the temps and had given up trying to heat, so the extruder was just grinding away on cold filament. Eventually I figured out that the voltage being sent to the Rambo was only 9v, and when its real temp was unable to get close to its target temp, this would cause the DEF fault (wasn't a temp probe issue).

Applying a screwdriver to the adjustment potentiometer on the PSU, suddenly the fans increased a noticeable amount. Adjusting it to get somewhere between 12-13v was a bit of a challenge, as it would change rather randomly and would jump randomly again when lifting the screwdriver off the potentiometer. I got it set to 12.8v and printed several parts, but here at the end of an overnight print I just heard the fans drop, and it's down to 9v again. I believe the PSU is working fine, but its voltage adjustment potentiometer is flaky and must be jumping around just from the machine shaking during rapid movements. I will try to find a suitable replacement for that - I don't think I need to replace the entire PSU.
With the power off, make a note of how far the pot is turned, then turn it through its travel several times, then put it back to where it was to start with. Then turn on the power and see if it is any better.
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

I pulled the PSU this morning, so this evening I will power it up without anything but my volt meter connected, and I will try to get some video of how sensitive the pot is, jumping the voltage around even just from knocking on the case.
IMBoring25
Printmaster!

Post by IMBoring25 »

They are quite sensitive but it should take a screwdriver to turn it.
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

This video shows the sort of behavior going on. In the long term, even though I had it set to 12.8v, it will print a few parts (or just a few minutes sometimes) and suddenly revert to less than 9v. You can see how when I simply poke at it with the wood rod at first, not turning, I get it to change voltages. Then I adjust it with a screwdriver, and when pulling it away, the voltage changes greatly. I have not been rough on this or tried "tightening" it or anything that would destroy a potentiometer - I'm not new to them, I just have never seen one that's so pressure-sensitive and seems to change resistance (seen in the voltage output) in an unpredictable manner.

[youtube]Z0iEEwfEFFE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://youtu.be/Z0iEEwfEFFE[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/Z0iEEwfEFFE

Sorry I can't figure out how to make the above embedding work for youtube.
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

I was able to de-solder the flaky potentiometer that came on the Rostock PSU, and replaced it with another one. For reference, I'm getting an output of 12.82v when I have the potentiometer set to 290 Ohm, I believe (reading 0.29 on 20K setting).
DeltaCon
Printmaster!

Post by DeltaCon »

I would file a ticket with SeeMe. It is nice that you solved this but a replacement would have been appropriate. Also it will be good to know for SeeMe and help establish a possible pattern. In that case next time they will order better PSU's somewhere else.
I am DeltaCon, I have a delta, my name is Con, I am definitely PRO delta! ;-)
Rostock V2 / E3D Volcano / FSR kit / Duet 0.6

PS.: Sorry for the avatar, that's my other hobby!
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

I submitted a ticket to inform them of the issue, but otherwise I think I've got that voltage issue fixed.

Upcoming upgrades to order soon (some on backorder for a week or two):
Duet Wifi board
PanelDue screen
E3D V6 hot end and nozzles
BerdAir cooling system

Possibly look into various TrickLaser upgrades (heat spreader, arms, trucks, etc)

We are planning to stay on the original 12V psu for everything, as the PEI / Ultem 4000 bed material offers enough insulation that it seems to heat up faster and grip better, and our 24V experiment did not go well.
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

CaptainMerica wrote:I submitted a ticket to inform them of the issue, but otherwise I think I've got that voltage issue fixed.

Upcoming upgrades to order soon (some on backorder for a week or two):
Duet Wifi board
PanelDue screen
E3D V6 hot end and nozzles
BerdAir cooling system

Possibly look into various TrickLaser upgrades (heat spreader, arms, trucks, etc)

We are planning to stay on the original 12V psu for everything, as the PEI / Ultem 4000 bed material offers enough insulation that it seems to heat up faster and grip better, and our 24V experiment did not go well.
Where do you get the duet board? I'mlooking for something more affordable than the Rambo ($180). What other boards will work with the V3? Thanks and I look forward to hearing about your build!
DerStig
Printmaster!

Post by DerStig »

skyjuice wrote:Where do you get the duet board? I'mlooking for something more affordable than the Rambo ($180). What other boards will work with the V3? Thanks and I look forward to hearing about your build!
I have a Duet .85 board, its the board right before the Wifi and I have the expansion board and thermocouple boards I'll let go for $150 for everything
CaptainMerica
Printmaster!

Post by CaptainMerica »

I ordered the Duet Wifi (which has better specs than the 0.85, not just added wifi, had to search for a bit to find a comparison page) for $170 and a 7" PanelDue for $95, along with an E3D V6 hot end for $75, all from Filastruder. There is a backorder for a week on a few items, I think.

From TrickLaser, I ordered the latest Trick Trucks, aluminum platform, carbon fiber standoffs, groove mount for the E3D V6, probe board mount, aluminum heat spreader, and an LED ring to put around the nozzle.

From my friend, I set up a deal to buy a 4'x3' plasma table kit he never finished, and rather than spend another $2k on the steppers and controller to use it as a plasma table (for now), I might try sticking a Rambo and the original Nema 17's off the rostock, belt-reduced way down to have enough torque, and use it as one gigantic 3D printer. Who knows, might be worth messing with.
skyjuice
Printmaster!

Post by skyjuice »

DerStig wrote:
skyjuice wrote:Where do you get the duet board? I'mlooking for something more affordable than the Rambo ($180). What other boards will work with the V3? Thanks and I look forward to hearing about your build!
I have a Duet .85 board, its the board right before the Wifi and I have the expansion board and thermocouple boards I'll let go for $150 for everything
I'm interested! Message me please or email me at [email protected]

Return to “The Build Zone”